180/55 on a 1000?

Hardrvin

I've seen other people do it before, and claim it's better for turn in, but just curious as to everyone's input on here. Stock tire size on my 954 is a 190/50. Pluses and minuses of running a 180/55 instead?

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
IMO the 190/55 is a better tire choice for the liter bikes. A few years back it wasn't really an option so the the 180/55 allowed for a quicker turn in. However it does give up a little to contact patch especially when compared to the 190/55. The 190/55 can be had in a lot of race tire configurations and even in the Corsa III a race/track oriented tire

Twiztedjester55

I run a 180/55 on mine and i like the way it feels better than the 190/50. I am thinking about switching to a 190/55 though which i've heard is the best of both worlds

jpaulsen

slow_honda;15020 wrote: IMO the 190/55 is a better tire choice for the liter bikes. A few years back it wasn't really an option so the the 180/55 allowed for a quicker turn in. However it does give up a little to contact patch especially when compared to the 190/55. The 190/55 can be had in a lot of race tire configurations and even in the Corsa III a race/track oriented tire
My thoughts as well...:agree:

Lenny ZX9R

Control Rider
Hardrvin, I was told by a very wise person that "Alot of Japanese guys designed the bike to work with the tires that are on it from the factory" I would use the tire that the bike was designed to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow_honda
IMO the 190/55 is a better tire choice for the liter bikes. A few years back it wasn't really an option so the the 180/55 allowed for a quicker turn in. However it does give up a little to contact patch especially when compared to the 190/55. The 190/55 can be had in a lot of race tire configurations and even in the Corsa III a race/track oriented tire

My thoughts as well... :agree:

Landshark

Control Rider
That 954 is making about as much power as my 750 with stacks more torque. I liked the 190 on the 750 for the extrat contact patch but thw additional weight was slowing turn-in so I'm on a 180/55. If I had the torque on the lil 750 I would go with the 190/55. On my 07 1k I wouldn't even consider a 180 since the modern 1k can spin, shread and destroy the bigger tire in a day. So my suggestion to you is use the 190/55.

PS; I even used a 180 on an RC51 and liked the 190/55 more.

Stillie

Alot of the 600 guys are going to a 190/55 now because it's the best of both worlds. You won't be disappointed.

Hardrvin

Lot of good info guys. Thanks! I think I'll give them both a try and see what I think. Still learning a lot, so at this point I don't believe I'll see so much of a difference, but down the road for sure then.

180 on a 5.5 rim more contact patch but changes geometry, adds rake.

190 on 5.5 less contact patch also changes geometry, most likey need to lower bike to add rake.