1st 500 trackbike?

radboy58

For a first time (fun) trackbike, with only front springs and rear spring mods. is there a recommendation on a GS500 vs. EX500? I have a buddy and we want to start and get similar bikes. We have ridin at intro at Beaverrun and love it. Is one better in the stock (save suspension) form. We choose to look into 500's because of cost. Thanks.

Clarus

I don't know too much about the 500s... rode one on the street for a few miles, that's about it, but for the same price if not cheaper I think you could get into the SV650s which have the same power characteristics with a bit more grunt [not needed for beginning, but nice on the straights], however their handling will be better as will the 'cheap spares' market which is always great on a starter bike. They'll also be really east to find cheap used track bikes online. [I bought mine for $2k with enough suspension to keep me happy forever]

rk97

hey radboy - we're overlapping forums now ;-)

if you're sold on the idea of a 500, look at some race results. I think you'll find that the EX consistently beats the GS. The GS has a more solid frame for sure, but it's down about 15hp, which is a lot when you're dealing with such low numbers. I mean, percentage-wise, the difference between 38 and 52 is a lot bigger than the difference between 100 and 117.

if you can afford an SV, there is no doubt in my mind that it will take you further, and keep you happier for a longer time. The initial cost may be a bit more, but the tire wear will only be marginally more expensive, and you'll end up with a much better machine.

think of the 500's as the honda civic of performance riding. People race them, but it's not what they're designed for...

the SV650 is more like a miata - still cheap, but a lot more performance oriented from the start. just a better base to build upon.

rk97

and if you do go the 500 route, buy one that's already set up forthe track! let someone else spend $700 on a shock. their full race bike should still only cost you $800-1300 with all the spares you'll ever need.

BigKid

One of the members asked me to ride his recently. (BTW I use to own a shop that specialized in them), it was at an open sessions track day. Wonder if he got bored waiting for me to bring it back to him. I had a smile ear to ear for days and I still think about it. I really need to get one, or get my RC51 back on the track.

pearsonm

I may be the cheapest person here and I think the SV's the best value available, and not just because I own one. I looked at the GS but in my opinion the performance and aftermarket and online support are worth the extra money. On either bike the bulk of your money will be spent on a shock.