1st new chain install - any tips or suggestions

finny47

My chain is right on that Replace chain indicator line. I've bought my Vortex sprockets, new 520 chain, and MotionPro chain tool from TurnOne. I'm currently running 48, but have a 46 in case I decide to run Road America this year.

How do you usually size up the new chain? Match links compared to the old or just throw it on, slide the axle all the way forward, reset, the chain tension bolts and then set up the slack?

Steve

Count the links on the old chain, if you're keeping the same gearing, use that number of links, otherwise you need 2 links per 2 tooth difference. If you're replacing the front sprocket(recommended), loosen the bolt before cutting the chain, otherwise use the old chain to pull the new one on.

HTH

Steve

You should be ok with the same chain for the 46 and the 48 if you're not too close to either end of adjustment.

finny47

Either 110 or 112

Good to know the chain links should be an even number.

I'm replacing both sprockets. Fronts are too cheap to not do them at the same time.

dogger

I installed both sprockets, set my adjusters to the middle of their ranges, fed the chain around the sprockets so it ended up on the rear, cut it. It all came good.

finny47

2 months later I finally replace the chains and sprockets. Who knew there would be such a backorder on a 48 tooth rear.

Ok - Stock is 16/46 with 108 links on 525 chain.
I run 520 with 15/48 most of the time . Net +1 over stock. I pulled off the previous owner's chain and laid the new and old side by side. There was about 3/4 link stretch on the old. I counted 110 links.

When I installed everything and setup the chain with appropriate slack, I'm really close to that replace chain line. Since track days require looser chains, should I get a new master link and cut it down to 108?
Or should I ignore the sticker and just use the chain as is unless I run out of adjustment for slack?

My guess is if I install my 15/46, I'll definitely be in the replace chain zone :eek:.

ERB68

I wouldn't worry about it.

The replace chain is just a guide.

Some one with more knowledge than I, will be a long shortly to confirm or deny this.

stkr

I'm getting ready to do the same thing over the winter, so I'll be following this.

Thanks Finny :D

BTW: How's your ankle doing?

finny47

If I had to do it again, with just +1 over stock and "Nesba slacK" compared to the tighter OEM recommendations, I would have done stock 108 instead of 110. I've only got about 30% adjustment left where I'm at now. I know my RK chain on my CBR1100xx has barely needed any adjustment in serveral thousand miles.

I get my cast off on Friday. If the ankle is good and the weather doesn't look worse for Road America on Sunday, I'll see where that initial stretch puts me. Right now Road America looks lrather bleak.

Joe Vital

one should measure the amount of stretch a chain has between some set number of linkns. each chain has a specification. i used to have this info saved as a favorite, but it is gone now.

there is a tool out there somewhere...i'll find it and post up.

http://sidewindersprockets.com/drivetools.html

Chain Wear Gauge "The Judge"

clever folks can use a ruler...