2 vs 4

Dr. Evil

My first (and only) track day was Buell track day at VIR south. I ride a 04 ZZR600. I followed the twins right into the apex. Coming out of the apex the twins torqued out about a 6 bike length lead on the straight away. But I caught up! So goes the 2 vs 4 cyl dilemma.
What is a good NESBA track day bike for VIR?

ThePro8

i havent been to vir, but I can tell you it isnt about the bike. its all about skill. i recommend smaller bikes for beginners like 600s. they will teach you to work harder to keep up with bigger bikes. this will imporve your skills dramatically. there is nothing more fun than passing a thousand on a 600.

I couldn't agree more Steve. I used to hate my little F4i on the track and couldn't wait to get some more horses. Now I relish in improving my skills and passing a liter in the corners.

LOrtega

Control Rider
Twin or 4 doesnt matter

Ride what you are most comfortable with, like every track is really skills based. If you can take both and see which you feel better on do that. If not take the one you feel will give you the best overall comfort, braking, and acceleration. The twin out of the corner thing is not that big of a deal, if the guy cant out skill you the rest of the track your going to over take him easily into or out of turns.

Rick Johnson

Many poeple have said they liked the SV650 to learn on or the 600.I started on a R1 but I got a R6 this year also.It has definetly been improving my cornerspeed.I got within half a second of my best lap time on the R1 on the 600 at VIR North.:agree:

ecycle

I usually have both my ZX and RSV with me at any track, both equally fun, just for different reasons. I am a little quicker on the ZX but not by much. I've never ridden a 600, my 929 being my "small" bike. My "starter" bike was a ZX12. I always have been a little different! Bottom line, they all have been a blast.
Only 1 week from TODAY and I'm headed to RA!!!!!
Earle
SECR

Dr. Evil

danch;1583 wrote: 3 is the answer :D ;)
Of course! Why didn't I think of that. Thanks to all for the replies.

I will do VIR full in Oct then give the ZZR to my son in college. Then I will be forced to get a new track bike for the spring season. First outting next year - Cornerspeed.

Right now I am leaning towards a 600, maybe pick up a turn key package this fall.

:idea:

smack28752

Three is definitely the answer, as in TRIUMPH - 3 Cylinders of unadulterated fun!!:D

Seriously, go with what you are most comfortable with. Cornerspeeds on the smaller bikes are a blast, but those 1000s blowing past can be a bit annoying... you'll catch 'em in the corners.

SMack
"B" 77
Triumph Daytona 675

Rick Johnson

I would suggest getting a 05 or newer bike already track ready with the suspension done.You'll save lots of money that way.Just an idea.

Dr. Evil

Rick Johnson;1974 wrote: I would suggest getting a 05 or newer bike already track ready with the suspension done.You'll save lots of money that way.Just an idea.
Great idea, that is exactly what I was thinking. I have seen lots of track bike setups with all the bells and wistles alot less expensive than buying a new bike and outfitting it for track use.