2007 R6 Shock Question

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
yes, I know..i should just STFU GTFO and RTFM.....buuuuuuuutt

I was looking at my shock today in preparation for the tear down....and was wondering if anyone has removed the rear shock without removing the gas tank. With the TTX and the remote adjuster, space sure is tight in there (she said).

Anyways, was hoping someone was going to open my pearly eyes to an invention I could use without taking off the tank....

bigkaley

Control Rider
I just recently removed the stock rear shock and installed an Ohlins on an '06 R6 and while you don't have to take the tank off, you will have to hinge the tank up. Also, I've found the easiest way to remove the shock off an R6 is to:

--support the bike with jackstands under solid mount rearsets

--loosen and remove the shock linkage (would be a good time to inspect, clean and regrease all linkage bearings--> the pivot on the very bottom of the frame has a collar that holds the relay arm onto the frame. The collar must be pushed from the Right side toward the Left in order to free the relay arm from the frame.

--loosen the large nut under the rear of the fuel tank

--also may need to loosen the top 2 subframe bolts at the frame and completely remove the bottom 2 subframe bolts in order to hinge the subframe up for clearance as needed. (I think you'll also have to watch the rear brake reservoir/ hose length, I just removed the reservoir mounting bolt temporarily)

--remove the large nut under the rear of the fuel tank last when everything else is out of the way and the shock is ready to come out. Shock should come out over the top of the swingarm, not underneath.

Reverse order to install. With a little patience, it's not too bad.

sobottka

you can also loosen the main clevis bolt nut under the tank and twist the shock a little once loose to access the clevis/shock bolt without sub frame removal. use a socket w/ extention and a wrench

Dave561

Control Rider
sobottka;93607 wrote: you can also loosen the main clevis bolt nut under the tank and twist the shock a little once loose to access the clevis/shock bolt without sub frame removal. use a socket w/ extention and a wrench
We did that at Barber this weekend and it worked without removing the subframe

lemondrop

wait wait....i need to take off the subframe too?!?!?!

that's it...i am buying my F4i back...or calling Turn One Racing to come to my house

headstart

I have an 08 so maybe with the changes from 06-06 it was slightly different, but like the others said you don't have to take off the tank and you shouldn't have to loosen the subframe.

In addition to what Big Kaley and the others wrote I removed the rear wheel first then put the bike on jackstands at the rearsets, probably won't work if you have the stock folding rearsets though. Removing the rear wheel lets the swing arm drop a few inches lower with the bike propped up. After removing the linkage bolts and the top shock nut with the tank propped up, you can lower the swing arm so the shock comes out over the top.

This is one of those swaps where I had to just remove a few bolts at first from the linkage and see what worked until you get the swingarm low enough to pull out the shock. Give it a go no risk other than spending some time figuring out which bolts on the linkage need to be removed

bigkaley

Control Rider
bigkaley;93596 wrote: loosen the top 2 subframe bolts at the frame and completely remove the bottom 2 subframe bolts in order to hinge the subframe up for clearance as needed.

You do not need to remove the subframe. Also, lets just be clear....I hinged the subframe up so I could get my BIG HANDS
in there!! :D

lemondrop

3 extra bolts removed unnecessarily...one tank bolt spacer lost....and 1.5 hours staring at that TORX bolt thinking "fark...i dont want to take that out??!?!?!"

Then, merely lifting up the swingarm and out she popped!