2009-present Yamaha R1 thoughts

Prix

I have ridden all sorts of bikes and owned a bunch too, I was wondering your thoughts I really want to buy my last road bike (live in Wisconsin so only put on a few thousand a year may 7k. I really like the Look, sound, and what people say about the torque of the 2009 to present R1, what are your thoughts on the bike I will probably buy a 2009-2010, to get it alittle cheaper, and save money plus, I love the white and red and the all black, have not looked at all the colors yet, just want a take on what you guys think.

Thanks, J

T

THE MUFFIN MAN

I have an 09, white/red, and love it. I've had every gen R1 since its inception, and while the 98-03 was the most "lively," 04-06 run was the best looking, didn't like the 07-08 run, this one is probably my "all around" fav. looks, sound, and "uniqueness' make this one my fav. I don't ride "hard" on the street, I have an 09 R6 for track duty, but this one handles well, albeit a lil heavy. and the crossplane takes a while to get used to coming form a typical inline 4. (I actually thought something was wrong with it when I first got it, because it "vibrates" under acceleration). however, with 3 different modes to choose from, the bike can be whatever you want it to be. also, since its been a few years, there are plenty of aftermarket goodies to dress it up. lots of exhaust choices too, I have the GYTR set and they sound ridiculous. my one complaint about this bike is the heat it generates, which was an underseat exhaust characteristic, even on the 04-06 run, but this one is the heat generating king of sportbikes! cool climate riding you'll actually like that, but summer riding can be almost unbearable if you sit for any length in traffic. passengers even complain about heat on their feet during the summer. Remember Josh Herrin at Barber? also, for some reason, this thing eats batteries. I'm replacing mine an average of every 18-24 months, and I religiously keep it on a tender. for some reason, this thing takes awhole lotta juice to start, and I did not have any battery durability issues from my other models. hope this helps, but all in all, I'd not give mine up for anything.

Prix

thanks

THE MUFFIN MAN;302276 wrote: I have an 09, white/red, and love it. I've had every gen R1 since its inception, and while the 98-03 was the most "lively," 04-06 run was the best looking, didn't like the 07-08 run, this one is probably my "all around" fav. looks, sound, and "uniqueness' make this one my fav. I don't ride "hard" on the street, I have an 09 R6 for track duty, but this one handles well, albeit a lil heavy. and the crossplane takes a while to get used to coming form a typical inline 4. (I actually thought something was wrong with it when I first got it, because it "vibrates" under acceleration). however, with 3 different modes to choose from, the bike can be whatever you want it to be. also, since its been a few years, there are plenty of aftermarket goodies to dress it up. lots of exhaust choices too, I have the GYTR set and they sound ridiculous. my one complaint about this bike is the heat it generates, which was an underseat exhaust characteristic, even on the 04-06 run, but this one is the heat generating king of sportbikes! cool climate riding you'll actually like that, but summer riding can be almost unbearable if you sit for any length in traffic. passengers even complain about heat on their feet during the summer. Remember Josh Herrin at Barber? also, for some reason, this thing eats batteries. I'm replacing mine an average of every 18-24 months, and I religiously keep it on a tender. for some reason, this thing takes awhole lotta juice to start, and I did not have any battery durability issues from my other models. hope this helps, but all in all, I'd not give mine up for anything.
Im sure the vibrations your feeling are the difference between a twin/inline engine, even though it is inline it is supposed to be a torque monster. I have ridden plenty of twins, and had a Superhawk for a few years love them for the street instant power no waiting for powerband, which when waiting for the powerband on a 600 on the street your already losing your lisence if you get caught trying to rev it up alittle. I plan on doing trackdays with the r1 too. I have done a bunch with nesba and sptt, and I was always complemented that I never over rid my abilities. My last trackday I was supposed to get bumped up and the coach left to get back home and didnt have time to move me up, oh well thats not what its about, its about having fun.

T

THE MUFFIN MAN

yea, I'm use to the vibrations now, I've had it since 2010, it was just different.

crewnutz

good street bike...they look and sound amazing IMO

BUT

bad track/race bike in comparison to the competition

greatly underpowered and shit chassis without a massive amount of frame gusseting

Prix

sdf

crewnutz;302342 wrote: good street bike...they look and sound amazing IMO

BUT

bad track/race bike in comparison to the competition

greatly underpowered and shit chassis without a massive amount of frame gusseting
WOW, big quote coming from the bike that has one everything in AMA and in WSB in 2009-2012, but that may be cause of the factory, I want it more for an everyday bike, and as Im getting older the bucket list is short and I want an inline 4 liter bike before I resort to sport touring bikes, thats all. really. Im not looking to race is just have some fun at the track and Im like I said very easy going at the track its not a competition, its just riding to the best of my ability not the bikes.

Ex. 39

Prix;302359 wrote: WOW, big quote coming from the bike that has one everything in AMA and in WSB in 2009-2012, but that may be cause of the factory, I want it more for an everyday bike, and as Im getting older the bucket list is short and I want an inline 4 liter bike before I resort to sport touring bikes, thats all. really. Im not looking to race is just have some fun at the track and Im like I said very easy going at the track its not a competition, its just riding to the best of my ability not the bikes.
Havent actually seen what has to go into an R1 racebike to be competitive on the race track have ya? :). Try a minimum of $20k on top of the cost of the bike itself. And thats just to make it competitive at the expert club level. It goes into $100k + at the AMA level, and even more than that at the WSBK level.

But, as a street bike, theyre SWEET!

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Prix;302359 wrote: WOW, big quote coming from the bike that has one everything in AMA and in WSB in 2009-2012, but that may be cause of the factory, I want it more for an everyday bike, and as Im getting older the bucket list is short and I want an inline 4 liter bike before I resort to sport touring bikes, thats all. really. Im not looking to race is just have some fun at the track and Im like I said very easy going at the track its not a competition, its just riding to the best of my ability not the bikes.
What exactly are you trying to accomplish? It's plain as day you've already made up your mind. You want the R1, but now you just want others to affirm your thoughts. He gave you a legit complaint about the bike (I assure you he's not the only one saying that) and you try to compare a fully built $45k+ pure bred racing machine to a showroom floor R1. Not even remotely the same bikes.

Every bike out there has its own shortcomings, buy whatever you want and enjoy the riding.

vonstallin

I think the biggest difference between the cross plane inline and most regular inline is the off throttle feel....
(2011 R1)
Ive been working and tuning this bike to make it feel smooth on and off throttle and I have it almost where it needs to be.

Basically when you are at a good clip of speed and roll off the gas without any kind of rev matching the bike have a tendency to slow down way fast. and have you going forward.

It's the characteristic of the bike....To me it feels like a good bike for the track because the only time you are getting OFF the gas hard is for a turn coming up and you are generally rapid down shifting and rev matching....in the street you are on and off the gas a fair bit and the bike is not smooth.

The fix is a combination of:

Adjusting the electronic Engine Brake (ECU flash required)
Possible slipper clutch adjustment (not sure if this one comes with adjustable SC)
and Graves Yamaha 3 Piece Clutch Kit....This is suppose to give the bike the regular Inline 4 feel so you can roll on and off the throttle smoother.

I'm in the middle of getting the Graves Clutch kit now....
I did all the other typical mods....Block off plate so air is not injected into the exhaust system (give you wrong reading for dyno tuning)
European air box mod... On usa bikes they added an extra bit of plastic to decrease air inlet...but there is a line where the euro air inlet is so a simple dremel will fix that.
And for the heat issue....

When you flash the ECU set the fan to come on at 205 vs. 220 and cut off at 196 degrees vs. 210 degrees.
That is mostly for th engine....for your ass heat...
I would say get a mid system that deletes the catalytic converters and get carbon pipes...
It GREATLY reduce the heat around your ass....the fan help with the engine and keep the frame just a little cooler.
And I use a mix of Engine ICE and water wetter for the street bike....not for use on track bikes in A group tho...just water and water wetter.

I'm forgetting something else...I love this bike because it is a technical monster. Other things this bike offers...
Clutcheless UP shift and DOWN shift with a module that cost only $169....so no need to by a quick shifter...

Oh and since the bike is Ride by Wire you can adjust the throttle position electronically to create a Quick turn throttle...
When you put the bike in race mode....UN like most bike...it not only adjust the fuel Map, it shortens the throttle position so that more power come on in a shorter amount of distance...So for example....100% of the power will come on at the 75% throttle (grip) position mark.

If you want traction control you can cop a 2012+ wire harness, gauge and ECU and have factory 7 point TC (I installed a bazzaz and create custom TC maps).

So much more...I fucking love this bike....and its not even mines hahahahahah
It's my GF bike.....

Ill have it on the racks next weekend for the clutch mod...

Here are some Yammy resources...

I talk to this dude over the phone allot since 2012...he races and do Nesba SE track days...
Check his stuff out....ECU flash service for $99, kits to make your bike look like Josh Hayes bike..carbon, custom geometry links n more.

http://www.superbikeunlimited.com/presta/

Here is the direct link to 09-2014 R1......it has 3 pages of stuff and everything you would need for club racing and AMA Pro racing...
He also sales the Graves kit....Graves only sale WORKs parts to people with Race Licenese.....

http://www.superbikeunlimited.com/presta/13-2009-14?id_category=13&n=50

Here is the Clutch Kit from Graves....
https://www.gravesport.com/Graves-Motorsports-R1-Clutch-Kit.html
Graves Motorsports WORKS R1 Clutch Kit is designed to get rid of the clutches grabbing or "lurching" tendencies on the 09-14 Yamaha R1.

Kit includes 1 clutch fiber, 2 judder springs
r1-clutch-kit-a.jpg

vonstallin

The R1....2011 SE
Performance/Mechanical/Electrical
• Bazzaz Traction Control, Fuel Controller, and Quick Shifter (Custom created TC map)
• Flashed ECU with all restrictions lifted, and fan on at 205 degrees. (have separate list of mods)
• Air pump blocked off (for accurate Dyno tune)
• European Air Box Modification (cut the restricted funnel off that's added to American R1s)
• Yoshumura Mid pipe (Y pipe) system. No cats...full open system with carbon pipes
• New Pirelli Rosso Corsa tires...120/70 & 190/55
• new battery
• Radiator flushed with Engine Ice and Water wetter added
Pirelli
Body
• Pazzo folding brake and clutch lever
• Frame sliders
• solo seat cover (and passenger seat)
• Zero Gravity light smoke windscreen / double bubble
• powdered coated black Rear-Sets and Passenger Pegs
• Super Sprox red anodized rear sprocket(aluminum center, steel teeth stock size)
• Anodized red sprocket nuts
• Swing arm spools
• R1 tag holder with LED white tag light
• Integrated smoked LED rear turn signal
• recessed front mount smoke turn signal
• Ghost tank pads

28458d1375740100-2011-yamaha-r1-special-edition-%2411-950-2011-r1.jpg

1008913_617905494894974_1042669607_o.jpg
149033_585961598089364_1217055864_n.jpg

64821_585961601422697_1617110377_n.jpg
528502_585961744756016_1039266887_n.jpg

this is all it takes for the EURO Air box mod...that is the line and additional restriction added to USA models.

539648_585961838089340_1346119239_n.jpg
532909_585961908089333_536506359_n.jpg

555754_585961644756026_2114269624_n.jpg

b4
536619_585962004755990_1959625237_n.jpg

Prix

sdf

I dont plan on racing this bike just doing easy trackdays from time to time, nothing harsh

vonstallin

Prix;302705 wrote: I dont plan on racing this bike just doing easy trackdays from time to time, nothing harsh
lol this is a street bike....
stock..to me it feels great as a track bike....as a street bike the throttle have a weird feel...
so.

crewnutz

I guess it proves that marketing works! ;)

Go look at the frame around the steering head and fuel tank if you have a chance to see the AMA or WSB factory bikes.... just one example

comparing them to what you buy in the showroom is comparing apples to tomatoes

As I said....as an everyday bike they are great and look badass

If you have the money...they are amazing race bikes too

knut

Control Rider
Many other bikes might be less heavy, more HP and all that. But...............
I have been on a R1 2009 since Mars 2009 when I got it bran new. Done maybe 200 miles on the road and about 7200 on the track. Both track days and race. I love it. And with all respect to all the people that have answer before me, there are not that many of us (I can't) that can use any 600 or 1000 cc to it's full potential. If you at all hesitate, get a 600 or use the R1 and have fun.

At least that it's my 2 cents..............:rolleyes:

/Patrick

vonstallin

crewnutz;302956 wrote: I guess it proves that marketing works! ;)

Go look at the frame around the steering head and fuel tank if you have a chance to see the AMA or WSB factory bikes.... just one example

comparing them to what you buy in the showroom is comparing apples to tomatoes

As I said....as an everyday bike they are great and look badass

If you have the money...they are amazing race bikes too
True....

I checked out Ben Spies R1 and was shocked to see how much they chopped and welded the neck and frame area....

Riders discount did a R1 Pro build and they also chopped and build up the frame...

20668_104921136193415_808056_n.jpg

20668_104921086193420_761262_n.jpg

20668_104921016193427_1841216_n.jpg
20668_104920202860175_4513849_n.jpg
20668_104920109526851_7834571_n.jpg