'06 GSXR 1000 Gearing ?

fcsgazelle

Two questions, I need to wake this thing up a little. Open to advice and experience from the vets out there.
1. Go up 3 on the rear 17/45T combo (will I need a new chain?)
2. Little more gearing with 16/44T combo (is that an overkill?) -1 front/+2 rear
P.S. Will be running 180 or 190/55R17

Thank you in advance for the help. One more thing, really cool site for number crunchers.
www.gearingcommander.com

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
I'm -1F/stock on my 2005 right now. It was a bit of an experiment Friday because I had some other work done on the motor. I wanted to see if a sprocket change was necessary with the additional power. It's good, but not quite coming out of the corner the way I'd prefer.

I'm going -1F/+2R after last Friday at VIR Full like I had on my 2001 GSXR1000.

My 2006 GSXR600 is also -1F/+2R, so that seems to be a pretty good overall gearing selection change for Suzuki's in general because after I made that sprocket change on my 600, it felt pretty much perfect.

Matt H

I'll have to check what mine is at currently (2005 1000), but definitely does not need to be "woken up". LOL. Biatch pulls ridiculous from down low no matter what gear. But I think it's geared pretty tall. I FINALLY got to use 6th gear at VIR Full!!! I hadn't yet used 6th riding other tracks.

fcsgazelle

-1/+2

I think I will lean towards the 16/44T combo. Seems to be popular. I say wake up the bike, because I just bought it expecting a huge seat of pants difference compared to my '00 929 and hasn't wowed me yet.
It has a full Leo Vince exhaust system, just added a K&N filter before the full course which seemed to help. I think I will have to get a PC3 to really help due to the exhaust leaning it out. Feels bogged down.
I am not as fast as you 2 guys I know, still in B group hopefully not after the next track day. Anyhow, on the back straight at full I only clicked to 5th maybe twice, partly because of a slow Oak Tree turn, traffic and the gearing. Was running 166/7mph in 4th on back straight. I believe the sprockets will get me through the gears much faster. I was clicking 5th on the 929 running the South course.
More advice is welcome, thank you for the heads up so far. Also feel free to give input on using a PC3 to tune the bike, don't have the cash for Bazzaz. Lastly has anyone done the TRE mod?

fcsgazelle

Follow up.

Sorry for such long posts and numerous questions. Figured you hard core guys will know the answers. Wanted to know about the K6 clutch My new to me '06 gsxr 1000 seems to shudder when downshifting on the track, I assume it is the slipper clutch working. Never had one before. How much should it shudder, and are there mods to make it better. I have seen a couple forum write ups on them, not sure if it is worth the time. Secondly, clutch feel is off or on, with my 929 I can feather the clutch, the gixxer just catches. I like a linear feel to the clutch, and brakes that grab the way my clutch does. Help is welcome.

D-Zum

If you go -1/+2 I believe you will be pleasantly surprised. My 2001 GSXR1000 was almost dead on the Full course back straight from 4th to 5th gear. 161mph was as fast as I'd see indicated with 5th and 6th gears being almost useless. After a sprocket switch...I had pull through all the gears and it made the power more useful in all gears. My 2005 has a wee bit more done to it now...but still the gearing will be the final touch that makes the bike just right.

I have a Bazazz with a Quick Shifter on my 1000 and a PC3 on my 06 GSXR600. Both work extremely well. If your 1000 is a track only bike, seriously consider switching the linkage to GP shift, and the Bazazz with the quick shifter. It think in the end the Bazazz FI/QS is cheaper than the Dynojet similar setup.

If I may put a plug in for someone, and you're near the mid Atlantic/PA area..I can't say enough good things about Karn's Performance. He's dyno tuned both of my bikes, and the power curve is simply beautiful. Jason's tuning work resulted in flawless power curves.

I plan on making VIR Full in Oct. I only usually bring the liter bike out for larger tracks like Full and Atlanta where it can stretch its legs. I have photos of my 2005 in my profile...if you see it..stop by and introduce yourself.

The 2005/2006 GSXR1000's might have been the best Suzuki built...despite the little frame snafu.

fcsgazelle

Good advice.

I ordered the sprockets up yesterday. I will be checking out the programmers, I like riding and riding fast. Hate spending money more LOL. I do ride on the street and track with this bike, so most items are a mix to work for both areas. I did go with the down 1 up 2 set up. See how it goes I think I will like it. I am in Randleman NC so not close to your tuner. Have some guys here that can help though. One step at a time. I will look for you next event we would both be at. Thanks for the advice.

D-Zum

Since your bike's doing double duty, you may want to add some sort of device that
corrects your speedometer and odometer. Gearing changes like this magnify the normal speedo error. I use a GPS lap timer and on my GSXR600 that's -1/+2 I when I see 161 indicated at Summit..it's really 138mph based on what my lap timer's telling me...and GPS speed calculations are pretty accurate.

ronhix

Sorry for the slow response, we were gone racing.

16 Front / 43 Rear / 520 Chain

I used this gearing and chain A LOT for track days and racing. It definitely made the bike get out of the corners well, without it being too bound up on corner entry. I'd recommend you start here.

If you have a little extra dough, I'd get an extra 42 and 41 tooth rear sprocket as well so you can have some options.

Put the 16 / 41 combo on the bike and cut the chain for this pairing keeping the rear axle as far back as possible. Try to keep the wheelbase long, the bike likes to be stretched a bit.

Then, put the 16 / 43 on there and let her rip.

Hope that helps.