7x18 trailer too big for a 1500 truck?

jpj

Need brakes on the trailer for sure, and in good working condition. Before you worry about how much go, make sure you got enough whoa'. Slow and steady as she goes, you'll find that trailer will be loaded down with the extra room is has.

Yea I know the more room the more crap that goes to the track. I really like the idea of having a place of everything and not needing to unpack have the trailer just to get to the chair or etc.

Rich

j_fuggin_t

Towing capacity on 1500's back then was around 8k lbs so there's your magic number. I have a 2007 tundra and like the rest of the newer trucks they claim 10k or above (though the damn thing is built like a 2500) Hix nailed it on the head, height will be key. For the record anything over 12' long is REQUIRED to have trailer brakes by DOT mandates, tires for sure & 4 spares ;)

I've been pulling a 6 X 12 enclosed V nose with my Toyota FJ Cruiser (manual) with no problems. Seems like a decent size for staying overnight at the track. I just pull the bikes (2 track bikes) out and lock them up next to the trailer. 3 of us slept in the trailer at NJMP in October with no problems. If you plan on sleeping in an enclosed trailer, I highly recommend that it has electric hook up. Ours has a roof mounted A/C and heater. The A/C was very handy at VIR in August and the heater was good for the nights at NJMP in October. Plus, with the electric hook up, we had a TV and PS3 for evening entertainment. Almost forgot, don't forget interrior lighting.

kubricky

Control Rider
Director
FWIW,

I'm pulling Doyer's 24 foot, full height, 8 foot wide, v nose aluminum NESBA trailer with a 2003 Ford Expedition. The gas is really the only issue. The wind really gets no worse than the area I am leaving and that can be difficult especially going over the Key Bridge (695 - Baltimore). The fact that it is all aluminum (even the frame spars) is a plus however at 24 feet long, it is 2650 lbs (empty trailer) -- add to that a 675 lb Snap-On tire changer in the V and added gear for the track and it CAN get hairy. Mainly make sure the trailer is maintained, you have a working (progressive -- if you can find a good one) brake controller, and the truck is rated to haul the full trailer.

The Exp. will get springs this winter or I will try to get a new tow vehicle, but ultimately the vehicle is really just a tow/haul vehicle.

Joe Vital

2004 F150 FX4, 5.4, pulling a 14ft trailer. Loaded to gills with three bikes, 65 - 75mph. No real problems outside of gas milage. A 'progressive' brake controller is the only thing I installed, and couldn't imagine pulling this trailer without one.

Rydell

Bad joo joo when you exceed towing capacity. Browsed a few towing forums out there back when I was figuring out what I needed to tow a toy hauler. To sum it up, if you go over the limit, even though the truck may still be able to pull it, there's a certain "rigidness" to the frame and truck as a whole that can become unstable if it's over the weight. That includes the ability to come to a stop without killing your brakes, destroying your motor because it doesn't have enough power, or making turns and maneuvers with the tow. Every guy that asked "How to go over my tow limit" was eaten alive on those forums.

Just a FYI.

Well, this just muddles everything up for me. My van met a deer the other night, so I was considering a truck so that I could step up from the open trailer. All you guys did was prove that I know nothing about engines and towing, and that there's no magical formula.

pearsonm

jaren warren;162678 wrote: All you guys did was prove that I know nothing about engines and towing, and that there's no magical formula.
It will drive you insane if you let it. I've read on truck sites that if you can keep your payload and towing numbers around 50% stated capacity you should be golden. Definitely don't exceed them, as has been stated. As I found out, when talking enclosed trailers, there are no capacity numbers to account for wind drag.

I chose to get a Dakota. I may be expecting too much but I'm not impressed with it. It has the 4.7L Magnum V8 which is similar in displacement to standard V8's in half-ton trucks. I wish I could hook my rig up to a standard, half-ton and high-output, half-ton for comparison.

Meat

pearsonm;162710 wrote: It will drive you insane if you let it. I've read on truck sites that if you can keep your payload and towing numbers around 50% stated capacity you should be golden. Definitely don't exceed them, as has been stated. As I found out, when talking enclosed trailers, there are no capacity numbers to account for wind drag.
:agree:I think whether a vehicle can tow a certain trailer is rather subjective. I tend to want a vehicle with much more towing capacity than I need so that it is easy to drive and low stress. Go into Mexico and you will see just how much crap you CAN tow with a car or mini-truck.

I really wouldn't want to tow an 18 foot, full height, enclosed trailer with a 1/2-ton gas powered truck but I am sure there are people that don't mind it.

Now, you may run into problems with overheating the brakes with too much weight on a 1/2-ton truck, but it really depends on where you drive and how long and how hard you have to be on the brakes.

Thanks guys I am thinking of a change because the trailer I wanted has been sold. I will likely be downsizing a little.