A Central Jersey Newb saying hi, and asking questions

Steve F

Hi All,
My name is Steve and I'm new here. Just wanted to say hello and ask a question or two. I'm from Central N.J. I'm an old fart. Well, not really but kind of. I just turned 50 last year. I bought a Yamaha FZ-1 as a 50th present to myself. Before that I was riding a 93 Seca-II since it was new. I never considered doing a track day but the dealer gave me a free day to use within a year. That would be up in Aug. 09. I thought I would have to invest big bucks in leather and wasn't sure if I'm a track type of guy so I haven't really considered going. For some reason I decided to check out the NESBA site tonight and see I can rent leather gear. To make a long story short, I'm really considering going this spring or summer.

I'm curious what the beginner sessions are like. I mean, is this something an experienced and responsible street rider can do no problem without being the class dunce?. I'm sure it is but just thought I'd ask about what to expect as far as ability requirements go.

I aussume it's possible to go just as a spectator?

Thanks
Steve

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Welcome, Steve! Yup, you'll be fine. You're always encouraged to ride and learn at your own pace, and the control riders do a great job of explaining things. There will be a beginner's group meeting where they will go over stuff, and you go out with a control rider, who will keep an eye on you and show you the lines. Let them know it's your first time on the track.

You can go to any event and spectate for free. Maybe go watch the April event at NJMP.

I'm in your neck of the woods. If I'm at the day you attend, I'll be more than happy to talk with you!

PJZOCC624

Hey Steve... agree with what Judy said. If you're in Central Jersey you shouldn't be too far from NJ Motorsports Park. Yes, you can definitely come and watch as a spectator, and I'd recommend it. Come early, spend the day, attend the riders meeting and chat with the members. There's a 3-day at Thunderbolt in April. I'll be there Fri and Sat. Stop by and say "HI". I'll be in the Outback toyhauler....

WELCOME!

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
Beginners is where all the fun is to be had....If you have been riding for a while, it will be the best time you have on 2 wheels. The beginner class does not allow passing in the corners, and there are Control Riders (CR's) everywhere to make sure you are having a good time and nobody is doing anything stupid (not sure how they keep letting me back out:dunno::p)

As mentioned somewhere, ANYONE can come watch a trckday. Just have to sign the waiver.

Enjoy the FZ

dale.b

Steve, welcome!

I am in the Central New Jersey area as well. There are a few of us in this area.

You are welcome to come out and spectate anytime for free! If you are an experienced street rider, and comfortable riding at fast highway speeds, then you'll be fine. You can start here: http://www.nesba.com/Info/Downloads/manual.pdf

See you out there!

rk97

Steve - i think it was on the old forum, but there is/was a thread devoted to all the riders who were 50+. and don't worry about being any kind of "dunce." all of us had a first trackday, and there's no way you can be slower than I was my first time out!. Get out there and enjoy.

speed isn't nearly as important as being predictable anyway. The CR's will take good care of you.

- Chris

beac83

Steve,

Welcome to NESBA!

First, you aren't old. I put first wheel to the track (after 34 years on the street) at age 52 last July. I realized I had a track addiction after my second track weekend in August! :) You will be fine. If like me you are an experienced and cautious street rider (no crashes or accidents in years) you will find the first few sessions a bit different than what you are used to. However, by lunchtime, you will be figuring it out and having a blast. No stoplights, cars, cross traffic, or idiots out there. Only smooth road and no potholes!

Attend the Riders Meeting and the Beginners meeting. Pay attention and learn. Grab a Control Rider (CR - in the orange "Follow Me" T-shirts) and talk to them before/after your first session - or any session. Ask anyone anything. You will not find a more friendly and helpful bunch of people who want to share their knowledge and love of riding with you.

Careful, the addiction comes suddenly and can sneak up on you!

If you just want to go to a trackday with NESBA, there are never any gate fees and observing is free. But you'll have a lot more fun if you bring your bike and ride!

My first attempt to head to a trackday last June was thwarted by my bike being in the shop unexpectedly. So I just went and watched. What I saw sold me on riding with NESBA the next chance I got.

jkoehler

Steve, I have had people with little street experience make it though beginner and have started some guys out, who i rode aggressively with on the street, in intermediate. You will have a blast. Don't come out and watch. Just sign up. 15 min of watching and you will be kicking yourself for not signing up..... ;)

Steve F

Wow, I wasn't expecting such a great welcome and overwhelming response! Thanks for all the great encouragement and advice. Looks like I'll be doing a track day this year. It should be a blast!

I probably will come down for a day and watch first but as was mentioned, I'll probably be kicking myself for not just signing up. I live in Sayreville so a ride down there and back to spectate will be a great way to spend the day.

See you all in April!

Steve

Folly1

Steve,
I took a 39 year break from riding. Started again at 59 and got on the track at 60. You will love it. Read Keith Code, search youtube for videos of the track near you and ride at your own pace.
Warning, this has the potential to be a serious addiction.
NESBA is great. Their structure does not accommodate the super egos, and jerks, so you are left with a paddock full of really good people.

Ben.

Smithereens

Control Rider
N2
Lot's of guys over 50 are both smooth and fast....some over 60.
But we all have a finite amount of time that our bodies are going to let us do track days so don't waste time spectating....just sign up and do it. The addiction is real!

Steve F

Hi All
I dug out the letter NESBA sent me awhile ago with a cupon code for the free track day and membership. I got the "Page Not Found" message on a BESBA background. So I sent them an email about redeeming the offer from when I bought the FZ-1. Hopefully I'll be all set for the beginner session soon!
Steve

dudette

Hell Steve, I'm soon to be 43...you'll be fine as everyone said. Come out april 10/11/12 at njmp in millville and check it out. I'm in B and there are people that are slower and faster. If you do you and ride where you are comfortable you'll be fine. Just remember to NOT WORRY about the people behind you, just what's in front and have fun. If you have questions, talk to the CR's and other riders. You'll find everyone has been there before and you'll meet some good people too. :D
Donna
cbr600rr
B #626

jsin38

Welcome! I think they still do the Novice group which is two sessions for free. I did one of these last June and have been hopelessly addicted ever since. Like any good drug, the first one is always free :D

Good luck getting that coupon thing sorted. Oh, and don't forget to read the riders manual before you hit the track.

Steve F

Thanks All !
I plan to be there just to watch next Friday. I know I'll regret not signing up to ride but that's what I'm going to do. I'm a little stressed out from a few things I have going on so I'll wait for the next time when hopefully I can be in a more relaxed and pumped-up state of mind. I'll be on a 2007 blue FZ-1 if anyone sees me in the parking lot or wherever.
Hope you all have a great day out there !
Steve