axle cleaning/maintenance

PJZOCC624

While I've got the bike in pieces in the garage, I was gonna clean up the axles and relube them. I was gonna use a degreaser, then go over the axles with fine sand paper, and relube with a heavy axle grease. Any recommendations or tips???

Thanks!
PJ

gkotlin

Just wipe them with a clean soft wrag. If they have pits or rust, hit them with some emery cloth. Use a good axle grease or white lithium grease. When you change your tires, keep a rag hand to set axles down on. You don't want rocks and sand sticking to your axles when your changing tires.

PJZOCC624

NOT sandpaper... ok! Thanks! (Was gonna use a really fine grit to take away any minor grooves or deposits, but I didn't think about the scotchbrite)
Thanks fellas!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I clean my axles off and reapply a thin coating of BelRay waterproof grease every time I remove my wheels. Lots of years and no stuck axles. I just wipe them down with a rag first. I haven't had to use a Scotchbrite pad or anything. The axles on my '01 929 look great.

gkotlin

Emery cloth is.... well. emery cloth. it's like a fine sand paper, but it's not sand. Maybe it's emery. I never thought about it. Hit your hardware store and ask for Emery cloth. Otherwise a fine scotchbright pad will work as well.

You should never need to beat an axle with a hammer. Sometimes I need to hit it with my fist, but never should they need to be pounded out or in. Keep them clean and well lubed. Like so many things in life.