Bike prep for rain

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
So it looks like NJMP is gonna suck on Monday. Cold, wind, and the R word. It'll be my first true rain day, so is there any special prep I should do to the bike (besides rain tires which I couldn't get in time :argh:)?
Also, should tire pressure be lower or higher than for a dry track? I'm guessing tire heatup will be negligible, so will they stay at/near cold set pressure? Thanks.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
I run rain tires, so I can't help with the tire pressure issue of DOT's. If you are using race plastics, you need to allow a way for water to get out of your belly pan. Lenny has two rubber lugs in his, one at the front and one at the back. You also need to have extra socks, shoes, and maybe a second set boots and gloves. I rode with a rain jacket and I felt ok. I tried to wear the pants, but they weren't big enough and made it difficult to get off the bike. Other than that, just try and stay warm and dry when you're not on the track.

dlockhart5x

Generally tire pressures are up slightly to keep the tread pattern open and the suspension is softened. Less preload, less dampening.

crewnutz

soften up the suspension..........take some turns out of preload front & rear and take soften up the compression, no need to touch rebound

not sure what to tell you about your tire situation, i would recommend trying to find some rains or maybe some good street tires?

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
Thanks for the tips. Softened the suspension and put on a set of semi-new BT-016s. Hope it'll be better than DOT's. Good tip on the drain bungs for the belly pan. Got that done too. Thanks guys.