Blackhawk newbie

slowducati?

Gee, 1st time..now I know were all the smilies came from but still don't know about the nice bike pics. Doesn't matter since I don't have a pic of my red Ducati 1198S..visualize here haha.
I've found all the posts really helpful but still don't understand the leathers rental situation. The nesbastore site has been down for days, nesba is "out of the office", and no e-mail reply yet. Also I signed up to try the novice thing and then decided to join. When I went back to sign up for the beginner class Blackhawk Aug 30 was not listed. Anyway I think I have plenty of time to figure that out.
Now the important stuff. Can anyone suggest a good hotel near Blackhawk for Sat. night. I'm an old Harley rider and heard that Sat. night was a fun "party" night. I would love to meet some NESBA members before I get on the track Sun. That way I can explain why the guy on the red Ducati is going sooooo slow.

Sklossmonster

I can't recommend a hotel, since I sleep in my trailer (so sad, yet so true) but there is a new bed and breakfast I've seen advertised at Blackhawk which might be worth looking into, and of course the usual South Beloit/Rockton area hotels are, well, in the area.

As far as leather rentals go, the NESBA rental leather situation is in a bit of a flux. I can tell you that as the official Midwest trackside vendor, we have a few sets left in various sizes, and one or two sets we've added ourselves to fill in the missing sizes.

Email Tom Tiernan, one of my partners in crime, regarding your size and track dates and he can give you more information.

You can email Tom or me through the Turn One Racing website listed in my signature. Just go through the "Contact Us" section.

Welcome to the party, it's a helluva ride!

Trent1098S

Welcome to NESBA.. always good to see a fellow ducati rider!

First time I went to blackhawk I stayed in a hotel ... Then I realized that camping at the track is a whole experience all on it's own. You're more likely to meet and get to know the good people you'll be riding with, and it can be a whole lot of fun (when it's not storming, anyway). And, at Blackhawk, camping is free, which means you'll have some extra dough for gas, tires, or whatever else you may need to get set up better for the track. Just remember to bring bug spray.

Regarding your Ducati... and spending money... I'll tell you what everyone told me when I started. If you decide we all aren't suffering from communal inasnity, and you want to do more track days... PUT THE FACTORY FAIRINGS AWAY. I bought a set of Sharkskins from Turn One and had them delivered to Putnam last year. Then promptly crashed out. They've been repaired, painted, and (unfortunately) crashed again ...

Even a used set of take-off factory fiberglass can cost well upwards of 2K. But I can put my bike back to "pretty" again if I ever decide to sell it. Or if I get in a pinch, I can sell the factory fairings to buy more track days. :)

The second thing that you'll probably find that needs to be done on a Ducati is rearsets. After a few weekends, as I was starting to hang off more, I found the stock rear sets VERY slippery. As your hanging off in a corner, the outside foot can slip right off the peg .. very spooky at the apex of a corner. It's more of a safety issue than anything, the stock rearsets are fine for street riding but they're a hazard at the track, no grip at all on the pegs. I switched to Vortex and I've been smiling ever since. It shouldn't be a problem for a few track days at least, when you start to get your body off and down. (It takes time)

Other parts you'll eventually need:

31mm socket for front tire removal
Speedymoto (or similar) rear wheel nut removal socket (they're like 54mm or something, but it's a special star shaped socket and nut)
250lb Torque wrench (rear wheel nut torques to 230lb / 177nm)
Serious breaker bar (dude.. it's 230lbs of torque.. not doing that with a 12" socket)
Front & back stands (pitbull is good)

That's just for changing tires. Don't expect people to have this stuff at the track, Ducs are still fairly rare. I had to get that stuff pretty quick, my stock tires lasted only 3 track days without warmers before they were completely shagged.

I'll be at BHF both days if you want to sit down and chat, look for a red / white 1098S. Usually I set up on the back road by turn 4 (go straight thru paddock, take a right when you get to the tech building, then a left after the bathroom. Tons of setup room back there).

Hope to see you this weekend!