bodywork repair - What brand paint to use?

finny47

Repairing bike from a hi-side. I can find plenty of tips and suggestions on fiberglass repair. I'm having a hard time nailing down what cheaper rattle can paints I should use. I'm going to probably do a basic black with some red accents. This is a track bike so I don't need the best paint job.

Any suggestions on brands, type of paint and where to buy the paint would be appreciated.

Emerson

BobbleHeadMoto
Control Rider
ATP/3C
duplicolor is the best in rattle cans just remember to spray really thin coats or else you are going to get runs. track auto has a pretty good selection on spray paints.

lindr6

Dude go cheap and with the less amount of work possible. That way you wont sweat it on the track.

Joe Vital

admittedly emerson is the man in the know for painting, but...

colorite is a pita to fix and paint over. or at least the stuff i was trying to work on was. besides it is way too expensive for track bikes.

if you don't go the rattle can route, i have had good luck with these guys for paint and supplies: http://www.tcpglobal.com/restorationshop/

xlink

would gasoline ruin the paint brands that you are recommending? I bought my bike with a rattle can paint job and the tank is a mess from smalls spills of gasoline. also, not all paints are compatible with all clearcoats...

I'm also looking for paint (rattle can) as I want to repaint my bike during the winter.

zangman

xlink, just make sure you clear coat after the rattle. this will protect your bodywork from the spills. Same as said before, thin coats. Also if you use a different brand clear than the rattle paint make sure that the paint is 100% dry or it will peel the paint up. I was dumb and was rushing to get a bike ready and it peeled up on me. Just had to re-sand a spray again. This bike was rattle can with Colorite. tank is original paint.
BikeNow%20003.jpg

lindr6

:agree: I did the rattle can and clear over it just to give it a chance. I think this off season going to change it.

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
I used tractor supply paint for mine and a cheap harbor freight gun. John Deere yellow and gloss black :D The paint holds up well to fuel spills and is really cheap. I painted teh 600 and the 1000 and still hae enough to paint another. I think the total cost for material and gun was under $50

Macon663

I've done the duplicolor route and my paint came out pretty well. My only complaint is that the clear sucks and doesn't really protect anything. not sure how to fix that other than getting it professionally clear coated.