cabin fever noob

avizpls

#11-A
Hey!
W00 here.

I signed up for the april18 BeaveRun event as an intro. Im pretty sure I'll lock onto it though. Ive done trackdays and races with cars before, but since I got the Ducati I knew it was a matter of time before it would see the track. That was last summer, and im getting very sick of waiting for THIS summer. (Im from PA)

So anyways, I got a question about my number display. Its a Ducati Monster with no real rear cowl to speak of, leaving very little real restate for the requested 6" numbers. Mine are like...3" Theres not a whole lot of room there otherwise though. Cars have PLENTY of room. Naked bikes dont.

l_be7e65a29dd3fd4c681008a7bbd695ae.jpg

And then this....disaster. It gets the job done though. Still not quite 6"

l_0c1f6223517a49829e39be1f3072fa5e.jpg

I can go post in the tech section or something to if nothing turns up here. I figured intro is a good place for an intro and a simple Q. Looking forward to meeting those around West PA (Is the Nelsons Ledges track OK for bikes these days?)

~woo

Folly1

Great looking bike. I have seen some wicked fast Monsters on the track. I took mine out for one TD and had a good time, but I have other dedicated track bikes so I just ride the Monster on the street.

If you have adjustable forks, I would suggest bumping up the compression damping several clicks for the track and maybe the rebound a click or two. I'm not an expert, and others might be able to give you better suggestions, but usually the street settings are too soft for the track. You will have a great time.

Ben.

avizpls

#11-A
Thanks what year is yours? Does it have low mount pipes? I'm worried about dragging them if I don't lean off excessivly. Did you ever?

JGardy_781

While I'm certainly not one of the powers that be, my experience would tell me that you should be fine with numbers of those sizes. Unless the manual has changed for this year, you're required to have numbers on the front OR both sides of the rear tail section, not necessarily both. The numbers should be of a size to be plainly visible by corner workers, event staff, etc. from a reasonable distance, and while there is a minimum size listed for the numbers in the manual, anything that is as large as is practicable for your given bike generally works.

Personally, I'd go a bit larger (and less artful) with the numbers on the headlight, and leave the tail section as-is, but if it were to become an issue at tech, bring some masking tape and electrician's tape with you in your tool box, and you can cover over your existing numbers on the headlight with the masking tape, and make a big "11" out of electrical tape in a couple of minutes and run back to tech.

Welcome, and have fun...

Jason

avizpls

#11-A
Yea but I'd like a long term solution. More the likely, I won't ONLY be doing the intro. I love riding and racing, so I have to really limit myself on the street, and I'm confident that I will have a great day at the track. The intro session will let me fly under the tech/equipment radar a little bit though just incase something needs worked on or some of my equipment needs upgraded. (I have leather suit, boots, but no real wrist covering gloves yet, only street ones) I won't know til my first event.

W00

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
As stated the numbers should be clearly visible at speed hence the larger numbers. A little tough to tell from a pic but assuming a 6-7 in diameter light they may be a bit small. The front number could easily be bigger and cover more of the available area. Looks like it's a printed sheet of paper. If so print with a larger font and all should be good. The rear numbers could fill in the avaliable space with a slightly larger number but as specified numbers front or/and rear so if the front is good the rear numbers could be left alone

avizpls

#11-A
No its a vinyl decal stuck onto a fiberglass mold of the light. Didn't come out perfect but its as much room as I have up front.

I designed the decals standing in the shop with no measurements of the light. So I'll go back and see if I cant revamp it to take advantage of maximum space. Hopefully the result will be big enough, but you're right. Its only a 7" light. So a number 1 could be 7 inches tall, any thing else gets forced down.