Can you feel 5 HP? (survey)

steve hale

I have GSXR 750K7, had a power commander and 2 bro pipe on, Dynotuned and it g0t 130.8 HP at the rear (done by Marietta Motersports - Huey). It may result in a little better track time, but I dont really feel it... However, when I put a new small sprocket on (for quicker accel) I felt that a lot... Noticed it alot out of 10B at road atl. used to not wheelie up hill, but with sproket it was megga power wheelie going under the bridge.:notsure: How bout yall, can you feel 5 hp? I thought I would get more out of dyno tuning/ Power commander.

stow

Depends on where the 5hp was added? If it was in a rpm range you are not normally in, then you may not notice. Was the 5hp gain across the rpm range or just a spike at one location?

rk97

good question - i'd like to find out :-D

It may be different depending on what bike you're used to as well. If you're on an SV650, an extra 5hp is nearly a 7% increase.

on your 750, you went from 125 - 130... that's only a 4% increase.

steve hale

stow;36295 wrote: Depends on where the 5hp was added? If it was in a rpm range you are not normally in, then you may not notice. Was the 5hp gain across the rpm range or just a spike at one location?
Stow, from about 6000 rpm to redline it builds slowly. I get about 1 hp down low at 6000 and then up to 5+ at the top... Either way, I cant really feel it.. Hope it leads to better times at the track though!!!

jkoehler

The peak 5hp would be hard to notice. the crispness of the throttle (ie throttle response) and the overall weight saving should be some what noticeable.

stow

steve hale;36299 wrote: Stow, from about 6000 rpm to redline it builds slowly. I get about 1 hp down low at 6000 and then up to 5+ at the top... Either way, I cant really feel it.. Hope it leads to better times at the track though!!!
If you are hauling it around the track and keeping the bike in the higher RPM range a lot, you would notice the 5hp. If you are not keeping the RPMs in the upper range you will not notice. As said above you should notice a smoother throttle response. The sprocket change is going to be noticed across the entire RPM range and going down one tooth in the front is a huge difference on the 750.

jkoehler

Remember that changing the sprockets does not give you more horsepower. It just changes the rpm to mph ratio.....

jimgl3

i have the same bike. our torque is best around 6k-8k i believe. i don't think you are going to "feel" that hp. you may see it in speed on the back straight at Rd Atlanta, but loosing a tooth in the front is going to reduce your top speed slightly, so it may be difficult to detect your increase. just let knowing it's there add to your confidence and you will derive the most from it! hope that helps!

dlockhart5x

Wink;36337 wrote: ON my RS250 5hp would be a God send....
:agree:
well sort of.. 5hp would be huge when you only have 60 to start with.

However, I can say with high confidence that I still have not come close to the limits of the bike. It can still corner better than I can ride.

snikwad

5hp at the crank, or at the wheels?

I think 5 at the wheels is like 20-30whp in a car, which is like kicking that fat broad out of the passenger seat, and throwing her duffle bag of food out with her.

That my friends, I assure you is a difference you will feel.

BigKid

They say the the threshhold of butt dyno is about 5hp. That means you could barely sense the 5hp increase. Any less of an increase and your butt could not feel it. The true benefit of dyno tuning is normally throttle response. That you will feel, though it may not make signifigant #'s on the dyno. In general a spocket change will show up on a dyno curve as tourqe and as such will feel like throttle response. It will not improve Hp #'s. Personally I gave up 8 HP on my track bike for 5-8 ft/lbs of torque from 4000-10,000 RPM. I spent lots of time researching the 04-05 R1's to make sure that I built my motor for tourqe, happy to give up peak HP for across the range Tourqe. My engine guy was amzed with the changes I made. He originaly dynoed my bike at 161HP with slip on's and a commander. I brought it back after I moded a bunch of stuff and it made 153HP but the tourqe curve looks like a v-twin from a bike that was notorious for weak tourqe.

Point being, worry about the #'s below the curve, not the peaks. Remember, on the track your bike is only making peak power at shift points, the other 95% of the time you are worried about below the curve. Just ask the poor guys that use to have to ride 2 stokes to championships. The good ones were always either on the podium or on the ground.

hotwings

5 hp on little bikes, well, I'll let you know after my first track weekend. My SV has a new heart. Thanks Madison Area Performance and Ed Key.... Plus they dyno-tuned it in my frame. Re-jetted the carbs etc....

JVance

5hp on a 750...I'd say no. Unless you are pretty good around the track I'd say you wouldn't see any significant difference in lap times either, maybe 0.5 sec.

dlockhart5x

hotwings;36384 wrote: 5 hp on little bikes, well, I'll let you know after my first track weekend. My SV has a new heart. Thanks Madison Area Performance and Ed Key.... Plus they dyno-tuned it in my frame. Re-jetted the carbs etc....

Cheater SV
:saythat:

motogypsy

the dyno tuning isn't all about HP gains ...
i know that is what we are talking about here...
but isnt a big part of the idea behind dyno tuning your power commander to get proper fuel delivery for better performance throughout the RPM range.... i think....or something like that...
by the way i think if me and Dave put our bikes on the Dyno together....under perfect conditons....with race fuel.... we still would see combined 130 hp...... : )

d

motogypsy

the dyno tuning isn't all about HP gains ...
i know that is what we are talking about here...
but isnt a big part of the idea behind dyno tuning your power commander to get proper fuel delivery for better performance throughout the RPM range.... i think....or something like that...
by the way i think if me and Dave put our bikes on the Dyno together....under perfect conditons....with race fuel.... we still would'nt see combined 130 hp...... : )

d