Can you recommend some brake upgrade for my 636?

lacloudchaser

Folks,

I'm asking folks who have direct experience on which supplier, model for the following goals with my 2005 636 track bike;

Brakes: I want to really focus here. Braided lines (what company do you have experience with?). What other changes, even what pads are recommended for racing. Master cylinder change up (company/model).

:eek:thanks!

Drew

toptaz1000rr

galfer lines/rotors..

what group do you ride in / with ...

save your money on high end stuff unless you get a smokin deal ... lines/ rotors... you will notice a difference :)

rugbymook

Control Rider
Race Director
Call or email Chris Moon here at NESBA and see what he suggests. Use your member benefits purchasing power!!!

I know they stock Vesrah brake pads (which are awesome). Scuff the rotors with a Scotchbrite pad or some emory cloth to remove the old pad material.

Just about any braided line will do. I doubt anyone could tell the difference between them.

Fresh brake fluid and you should be good to go.

SimplyRed

rugbymook;11360 wrote: Call or email Chris Moon here at NESBA and see what he suggests. Use your member benefits purchasing power!!!

I know they stock Vesrah brake pads (which are awesome). Scuff the rotors with a Scotchbrite pad or some emory cloth to remove the old pad material.

Just about any braided line will do. I doubt anyone could tell the difference between them.

Fresh brake fluid and you should be good to go.
:agree:

Pretty straightforward - As Scott said, any braided lines (Galfter, Spiegler, etc) and Vesrah RJL pads is a good setup. Clean the rotors with Scotchbrite between changes as Scott also mentioned and bleed your lines at each event from both the master cyclinder and at the calipers for best effect. Brake fluid brands like Valvoline or Castrol available at any auto parts store, Wal-Mart, etc work great for me, since I bleed the lines regularly, and they're not outrageously expensive. Some riders switch to a Brembo master cylinder, but it's not necessary since stock works fine.

Another key is maintaining your brakes well - clean calipers, clean rotors between pad changes, bleed/keep fresh fluid in them for track events, ensure pads have good life left.

Simple tips on brake fluid: Always keep the bottle sealed when not in use to avoid moisture absorption. Buy small bottles instead of the larger sizes. Punch a couple small holes in opposite sides of the silver airtight seal (enough to allow pouring) instead of completely removing it. And, of course, don't use "old' brake fluid.

Hope this helps.

r6 junkie

I also suggest you stay away from "Race" braided lines, the normal braided lines are great and you don't have to worry about brake drag when everything heats up.

Pascal

Braided lines, vesrah pads (RJL), and Motul 600 brake fluid.

hold off on the master cylinder til you try this setup - the difference from stock is very impressive! Avoid the run-of-the-mill brake fluids at the store and go with some good fluid - Motul 600 is by far the best fluid for the dollar I have come across.

Brake pads are not all created equal, I have tried just about Evey brand and the Vesrah are simply the best. Great feedback, very linear, and last forever.

SimplyRed

Pascal;11574 wrote: Braided lines, vesrah pads (RJL), and Motul 600 brake fluid.

hold off on the master cylinder til you try this setup - the difference from stock is very impressive! Avoid the run-of-the-mill brake fluids at the store and go with some good fluid - Motul 600 is by far the best fluid for the dollar I have come across.

Brake pads are not all created equal, I have tried just about Evey brand and the Vesrah are simply the best. Great feedback, very linear, and last forever.
Brake fluids at the auto parts stores include DOT4 Valvoline Synthetic and Castrol GTLMA which have good dry (right out of sealed bottle) and wet (assumes partially saturated w/moisture) boiling points. Motul 600 and other higher dollar fluids have somewhat higher boiling points, but doesn't seem necessary given proper fluid care and normal, periodic bleeding. I've saved a ton of money on brake fluid over the years and have never had any brake issues throughout all the track days and racing I've done. I know others use these as well. YMMV.

zangman

I've tried the Galfer lines on my 636 and they were good, not great. I then installed a set of HEL lines on my other 636 and WOW! I don't know what they do different but the stopping power is amazing. Also with the Galfer lines I do experience a slight bit of brake fade towards the end of a godo session. I bleed after every weekend so it isn't a air issue. With the HEL lines no brake fade at all. One of my other buddies with a 636 also installed the HEL lines and it helped him with his braking confidence tremendously. I use the EBC HH pads and get great feel from them. They wear pretty good and I haven't had any rotor issues since running these pads over two years now.

My $.02 worth.