cbr F1 or GS500 for track

radboy58

cbr F1 or GS500 for track days. as a 1st year bike? Any insite, Just looking for starter bike and I come across these.Thanks.

liteitup

There are tons of parts and support for the F2 and F3 not so much the F1. You can find them pretty cheap too. I had an F3 that I was planning on taking to the track but had engine troubles. You would definitely be happier with these over the gs500. A lot of people prefer the sv650 which I personally dont like but they are cheap and parts are everywhere.

rk97

the F1 "Hurricane" is a great bike, but like Justin said, they're not easy to find go-fast parts for. rearsets, body work, even exhausts...

I can't say enough about the F2/F3 as far as value and availability of parts. It's a heavier, slightly more powerful SV650, only even LESS expensive to buy. Only drawback is they're a lot older, and just have the typical older bike problems (rubber bushings drying out, higher mileage - not that it's an issue with hondas, etc.), but a replacement engine & trans will only run you $400.

what's your time-frame for buying? I promised my fiancee I wouldn't buy a new bike until we replaced the roof, but...

radboy58

Just looking for a deal to stumble on(or trip on) Still trying to decide on type of bike, but if I find one that is a good deal but in the slower range, that is ok for now.

jfeagin

rk97;54568 wrote: ...
I can't say enough about the F2/F3 as far as value and availability of parts. It's a heavier, slightly more powerful SV650, only even LESS expensive to buy. Only drawback is they're a lot older, and just have the typical older bike problems (rubber bushings drying out, higher mileage - not that it's an issue with hondas, etc.), but a replacement engine & trans will only run you $400.
:agree: My F2 makes 85 hp at the wheel, which is plenty. Got it for $1k with an Ohlins shock. Most of the bits and pieces you need to replace are only a few bucks here and there unless you need major parts. I picked up a nearly perfect spare engine and wheels for $500. Then it's just tire money.