Considering Membership but in Michigan...

So I'm considering NESBA membership but I live up in Michigan (almost right between Gingerman & Grattan). Any thoughts from other folks living in Michigan?
I've done some STT days at both Gingerman & Grattan (I used to organize days at Grattan myself back in the day...) and they are fine for me - really liked the beginner class with STT and how well organized it was/is.
Only reason I'm just "considering" NESBA is that I'd have to travel a ways to get to any of the TD's - looks like Autobahn would be the closest. Definitely seems like a very class act though - very enticing!

Amac955

I don't live in Michigan, but I will say NESBA is a great org. I've been doing track days for a lOONG time but when I started doing a lot of NESBA days and working closely with the CRs, I started making a lot of strides in my riding. I think the NESBA CRs are a great resource and super nice people as well.

Good luck in your decision.

rk97

It's situations like this where I wish all the trackday orgs had a "non member" rate.

just an extra $20 for the event, or an extra $25 for the full weekend (or something), and you forfeit the crash and rain insurance (or something - clearly i haven't mulled it over that much :p )

Michigan/Ohio is a weird place to be for trackdays. we're very much between NESBA's midwest and mid atlantic regions, but right in STT's back yard. I have an STT membership that i haven't used once this season... personally, i think the NESBA membership is really worth the cost, but i'm a lot closer to BeaveRun than you.

what's really strange is that NESBA can't sell out Gingerman, and STT claims they can't give away spots at BeaveRun. doesn't seem to make sense when each org has success at different tracks...

good luck, whatever you decide.

Thanks for the input...you hit it right on the head with the STT vs. NESBA areas. I've done a few days with STT this year (Gingerman, Grattan, Mid Ohio) and they have been good experiences - plus a lot of my friends ride those so it's a good time. BUT I like the things I've been reading about NESBA. I'll have to mull it over some more this fall/winter and come to some kind of a decision in the spring. Definitely will do the STT but will need to really study the NESBA schedule to see how many days I'd likely be able to get in once the 2010 schedule gets released.
Thanks Again!!

Amac955

One thing to consider about the NESBA membership is it is good for 365 calendar days from the day you sign up. In the winter they sometimes have membership drives and if your membership is already current, it will extend your membership another 365 days from your expiration date.

I guess I haven't compared to STT lately, but in the Mid Central, a NESBA membership pays for itself in the first weekend since the competition's prices are MUCH MUCH higher than NESBAs.

beac83

I hold memberships in both orgs, but due to my work schedule, I'll only ride NESBA dates this year. If you are in the Holland/Battle Creek/Lansing triangle it's a bit of a drive to Blackhawk Farms (about 3.5 hrs) or to Putnam (~4 hrs) but I think you'd enjoy these tracks. We have dates at both coming up - at the end of this month for Blackhawk, and Labor Day weekend at Putnam. Come and ride with us! Autobahn is a bit closer to you at about 2.5-3 hrs, and that date is later in September.

I'm headed in from the left coast to be at all three dates, so come by and say Hi. I'm normally in Chicago, but working out west this summer/fall.

Although the pricing is set up different for the two orgs, I truly believe the NESBA membership is a good value for what I receive from NESBA.

Thanks Craig - great info. Having our first baby next week so riding is out for the next 4 weeks roughly but maybe the Autobahn day might be possible. I've really wanted to ride there for a while now.

ktuso27

I hear ya. I had to pay a membership fee to STT and have only ridden once with them this yr due to schedule. Oh well.

Amac955 - Not really a big difference in price that I see, at least between NESBA and STT. Just did a quick comparison of all STT prices Sept to end of year (East, South, and Midwest regions together) but didn't include any of the discounts you can get if you sign up for both days of a weekend or 3 day events, and did the same with all the Sept to end of year dates for NESBA. Average for STT was $160 and the average for NESBA was $174. Not really that much of a difference but you could be refering to costs of other track orgs that I'm not aware of. But STT doesn't offer the rain insurance that NESBA does, and there are other benefits with NESBA that STT does not offer. Not a quick & easy comparison, that's for sure...

ktuso27

I dont see where rain insurance is that big a deal being that every org seems to ride in the wet and if you dont you loose out anyway. It would take a lot of rain for a trackday to be canceled.

beac83

Constant -

Congrats on the baby. Hope everything happens smoothly. Best wishes to you and the family. We'll see you out there.

ktuso27 - I wasn't sure how quickly/easily NESBA calls a rain day. Just figured that even having that possibility meant that maybe it happens more often than with STT (which is about never).

beac83 - Pretty sure I'll be joining - just need to look at the calendar and figure out when I want my year to start...

Amac955

ConstantBikeRepair;77364 wrote: Amac955 - Not really a big difference in price that I see, at least between NESBA and STT. Just did a quick comparison of all STT prices Sept to end of year (East, South, and Midwest regions together) but didn't include any of the discounts you can get if you sign up for both days of a weekend or 3 day events, and did the same with all the Sept to end of year dates for NESBA. Average for STT was $160 and the average for NESBA was $174. Not really that much of a difference but you could be refering to costs of other track orgs that I'm not aware of. But STT doesn't offer the rain insurance that NESBA does, and there are other benefits with NESBA that STT does not offer. Not a quick & easy comparison, that's for sure...
I should have done my homework before running my keyboard. In the Mid Central it is between $15-45 a day cheaper to run MAM or MPH with NESBA as opposed to running with Trackaddix.

dlockhart5x

I wish NESBA could gain a foothold in Michigan. I really liked Gingerman, and I have a score to settle with Grattan. The mid atlantic guys are pretty cool and Nelson Ledges is not too far and Beaver is not much further.

A NESBA benefit that I have made use of, several times is the mechanical and crash insurance. Going to the hospital after 1 1/2 laps and destroying a bike is bad, getting a credit for the day lessens the sting.

Does the credit apply to the guy that trailered you in? I went to Mid Ohio with a guy this summer (I trailered his stuff & bike in) and he crashed in the 2nd session, broke his collarbone, had to be taken to the hospital there. I didn't want to make him wait at the hospital all day long (plus it was raining like crazy) so I packed up all of our stuff and went and got him. Sucked for me but sucked even worse for him...