converting street bike to track, LEGAL ?s

trekuhl

Control Rider
just looking for info as far as turning in tags (easy) but if i am going to use a bike on the track pretty much only how do i go about alleviating paying property taxes, etc.? im in the great commonwealth :-( of VA. since i moved to the northern VA area a few months ago the property taxes more than doubled on all my vehicles and now i am thinking of making my street bike strictly track.

one guy on another forum said he sold his own bike to himself and never reregistered it, but he also moved to the opposite side of the country afterwards so wasnt a resident here anymore, thus VA wouldnt come after him wondering what happened to the bike. I could easily report the bike as sold to DMV online and then jsut keep the title...ofcourse if i did sell the bike a couple years down the road and that person registered it i wonder if they would get slapped with back taxes, or myself for that matter.

i am sure a few guys have run into this before. i had been looking at getting a salvage/wreck bike and tracking it, but certain legal events in my life keep me from riding in the street for the next few months :) and after recently joining nesba riding the roads are pretty boring :)

thanks,

-trekuhl

Vet

Trekuhl,

Is your bike paid for, or is there a lien on it? If you have the title and turn in the tags to DMV you will not have to pay taxes. Why would you have to sell the bike to yourself?

Good luck!!

Rob #111 "I"

trekuhl

Control Rider
paid cash for bike over a year ago, have title in hand. even if i turn in the tags to dmv, etc. i think my local county will still want to bill personal prop taxes on it though which are 5 times dmv yearly registration so thats what i want to avoid really.

-trekuhl

Vet

I live in Georgia, paid cash for my bike, have title in hand, no insurance, dedicated track bike, and thats it no fees, no taxes, no nothing. If your bike is not registred with the state (no tags) then why and how would they know to charge you property taxes?

Good luck!

The only legal way would be to sell it and buy another one that you don't register or title in your name. You don't want VA coming after you.

alphamale

If you are making it into a dedicated track bike, which means no street riding at all, just unregister the bike by turning in the tags and tell Virginia and the local county office that you sold the bike. You can also tell them that you've disposed of it.. (after not so long on the track you may just dispose of it anyways ;-))

Then, when you actually do go to "sell" it, you just sign the title and give it to the new person.

Vet

Apparently Virginia Laws are different from Georgia. Laws. All I did was turn my tags in to DMV and that was it, no questions of why. The only time I had to pay taxes was when I registered the back and renew my tags. My bike is a dedicated track bike as well.