Factory Pro Shift Star

jbyo

Has anyone ever purchased one of these kits? If so would you mind sharing your thoughts for buying and impressions after using?

I recently had a few too many false neutrals shifting from 4th to 5th, on my 02 ZX6-R, and have been thinking about if this would fix my problem.

No money for new bike, so gotta keep the old one going.

Thank you,
JB

ERB68

I have never used one but have heard others speak very highly of them.

Hope that helps.

it works for me had the same issue w/false neutrals and w/down shifting, makes it kinda hard to find neutral now when parking the bike in the pits etc.
I think the main part to prevent false neutrals.. is on the rider and making sure to make a clean positive up/down shift. but is seems to work for me now. I've had the kit in my bike for more than several yrs. and put the part in when i had to open the bike up and do some repair work.

dale.b

I bought one for my '06 636 after multiple transmission issues. I repaired the transmission and installed the factory pro kit. It definitely allows the transmission to more easily settle into the selected gear.

However, I eventually had the same issue happen again. What I found out was that it will help reduce the chances of you hitting a fals neutral due to a "half" shift, or "weak" shift. However, it is won't fix a rounded transmission that is prone to fals neutrals.

betarace

+1 I went with the finger/spring kit (not the star, which was the "advanced kit") and it totally cured false neutrals on the VFR... took about 2 hours to install all in.

eE jeremy

I have one in my '06 zx6r after tearing my whole bike apart to fix a transmission issue as well.

It works very well and I have been happy with it, haven't missed a shift since installing it.

Meat

I put one in my 636 after got a new engine/trans because my transmission couldn't stay in gear. The shifts are very positive, but like others have said, it is more difficult to find neutral....not a big deal. Because the 636 tranny is so weak I stopped clutchless shifting, which was much more difficult that I thought.

The shift star may fix your problem, but if I were you I would start saving for tranny work.

BTW: I definitely recommend the shift star.

Holding the clutch basket in place while I tried to take off the nut posed the biggest problem because I did not have an impact wrench.

dale.b

Meat;45899 wrote: Holding the clutch basket in place while I tried to take off the nut posed the biggest problem because I did not have an impact wrench.

Get the motion pro (or equivalent) clutch tool. Makes it much easier (with or without impact wrench)!!

Motion_Pro_Clutch_Hub_Holder_detail.jpg

rcr14

Ryan95 and I just finished my "03 636 this past w/e. We both got the evo kit w/star. My output forks got replaced too. I hope to try it this week. But won't have it on the track for about another month. So I guess I can't say anything about it,other than I hope that it fixes the same problem;false neu.&no down shift.:notsure:

BigKid

The shift stars are wonderful. I have them in ALL my bikes that they make them for. They will not fix the weak transmissions in Kawi's. They do make up and down shifts crisp and effortless. Help prevent False Neutrals caused by a lazy upshift from the rider.

Drewbie

Joe put a shift star in my 600RR because of having trouble getting a positive shift. After racing with it at Summit this weekend it definitely cleared that up. Shifts nice and smooth and very positive on both up and down shifts. Never had a problem with finding neutral as someone else stated. Easier to find in my opinion.