Finally Bit the Bullet

Pseudolus

Brutus;243535 wrote: Pseudolus, for starters, my advice is to get great tires (which can be expensive) and plastics for the bike. Then, whatever you do, take your time to learn -- do MANY track days and lessons. Increase your speeds slowly and you'll be fine. I started out on a CBR 1000 and have never regretted it. Now I ride a Supersport build 750. Perfect for me! Be safe!
Thank you sir! This is the one area I'm kind of worried about. I have the Metzeler Racetec K3's with 800 miles on them now and I am kind of dreading having to constantly pay for new tires. I'm hoping I don't have to replace them after every track day and instead maybe every 3 track days? At the same time, I realize this isn't the area to be cheap so so be it!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Pseudolus;243594 wrote: Thank you sir! This is the one area I'm kind of worried about. I have the Metzeler Racetec K3's with 800 miles on them now and I am kind of dreading having to constantly pay for new tires. I'm hoping I don't have to replace them after every track day and instead maybe every 3 track days? At the same time, I realize this isn't the area to be cheap so so be it!
You're new to this game. You don't need expensive race tires. Get a set of hypersport street tires. Dunlop Q2, Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa, Michelin Pilot Power CT, Michelin Power Pures, Bridgestone BT-003, something along those lines. They don't require warmers, heat up in a couple of laps, have good grip, and should last about 6 trackdays. They work well up to upper Intermediate/lower Advanced pace. The pressures on the track will be lower than street. Generally, 30 psi front and rear, cold, is a decent starting point. Once you've decided on one of these brands, folks on here who use that brand may have more specific pressure info for you.

Welcome and boy are you in for a suprise! The track is more fun than you can imagine. Be prepared to learn and have a smile ear to ear.

I had planned on doing the t bolt date but life had other plans.

Have fun!

BZ

Slitherin

Control Rider
Director
Welcome to NESBA. I heard you say several times in these posts that your main goal is to be safe and return home the way you left. That is the #1 priority at NESBA. I don't think it's possible to do a track day and not learn something about you and your bike so that ends up being a bonus. Safety being the #1 priority, you will find that NESBA's rules are set in stone and infractions are dealt with immediately. It may seem rigid at the beginning but in time you realize that your main goal of returning home is why NESBA takes every rule seriously.

When you sign your name at the gate, leave your ego with the attendant. We all go to the track for the first time thinking that we are good riders. We find out quickly that we don't know shit. The sooner someone figures out that they have much to learn, the better their experience is. I remember going to Pocono for the first time and thinking, I can ride pretty well. This will be fun to be able to push it even more on the track and not worry about mini-vans and gravel. I was going around this one turn as fast as a human could possibly go (I thought) and the guy in a funny orange shirt was leading the way. Mid way through the turn (mind you I'm shitting myself we're going so fast) the guy in the orage shirt turned around in his seat, took his hand off the bar, and looked back at me to give me a thumbs up. I was like WTF! Seriously, he just did what.....Sonofabitch. I SUCK! I've sucked ever since!

If you're like most, it will be one of the most enjoyable motorcycling experiences you will ever have. Even if it is the only time you ride on the track it will be something you will never forget and the lessons learned will make you a better rider on the street if you choose to continue riding on the street, and may possibly save your life with the skills you will pick up. All the staff at the event were in your same shoes at one point in time. Let them know your new to the track thing. Ask them questions. Everyone is there as a volunteer to help you enjoy your day and learn something. Its our bikes, our tires, our gas, and our weekend away from our loved ones to help NESBA members become better riders. Why? Because it is something we love to do and even more, love to share with others.

Pseudolus

HondaGalToo;243611 wrote: Once you've decided on one of these brands, folks on here who use that brand may have more specific pressure info for you.
Ridiculously helpful information HondaGal. Thank you!!!!

Slitherin;243807 wrote:
Mid way through the turn (mind you I'm shitting myself we're going so fast) the guy in the orage shirt turned around in his seat, took his hand off the bar, and looked back at me to give me a thumbs up.
LMAO!!!!! I've heard similar stories from a few sites and have seen a few videos where riders do it and it BOGGLES my mind.

I'm a ridiculously humble person (I recognize the irony of a supposedly humble person letting the world know he's humble:D) and fortunately, I already know I suck! :eek: But I am very safe (or chicken?) so hopefully this track experience will improve my suckiness! :D

Thanks for the advice!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Pseudolus;243823 wrote: Ridiculously helpful information HondaGal. Thank you!!!!
You're quite welcome! Seems like you have the right attitude. Generally, for your first season, you also don't need tire warmers.

You'll have a blast! Perhaps I'll see ya at NJMP at some point this season. I won't be there in June.

Pseudolus

HondaGalToo;243827 wrote: You're quite welcome! Seems like you have the right attitude. Generally, for your first season, you also don't need tire warmers.

You'll have a blast! Perhaps I'll see ya at NJMP at some point this season. I won't be there in June.
Thanks HondaGal, I hope to meet you some time!