First Time on the Track - Setup????

Jonny

Next weekend will be my first track day. I'm doing Sat & Sun on VIR South. I know that the limiting factor for everything will be me and that I have a lot to learn before the bikes setup is holding me back from better lap times but at the same time I don't want to go out with a bike that's all out of wack and have to fight it all day.

So, are there some baseline settings I should be starting at for the suspension and what do I need to set my tire pressures at? I'm riding an '08 CBR600RR. Still on the original Dunlop Sportmax Qualifiers. Only modifications are race bodywork and an assortment of sliders. The suspension clickers are at the stock settings and the preload is adjusted for 33% sag front and rear.

Any advice? Thanks in advance and looking forward to next weekend!

JVance

33%...Of total suspension stroke? Typical is 20-30mm at the rear and 30-40mm at the front. A good starting point for the front rebound setting is to push down on the front of the bike while holding the brake lever and let the forks rebound. They should come up then settle back down. If they bounce on their own more than that dial in 1/4 turn of rebound damping until they come back then settle. Chances are for your first time out the bike will be fine the way it is though. Good luck and have fun!!

John

Pascal

grab a pen and notepad, then call up two of your friends and get the static sag dialed in. write down the changes and bring the notes with you to the track. Ask around at the track - one of the CRs should be able to get your clickers dialed in. Not sure on pressure for those tires.

here's a guide for static sag: http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0308_geek/index.html

don't worry if you can't reach the numbers - you might need some springs for your weight. One of teh CRs can look at your settings and changes and help you decide :)

Jonny

Thanks guys, I'll reset my sag and talk to the CR's at the track about the rest. Thanks again....