Frame bolt question

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
I've got a bolt that goes into the frame that holds my GPR damper base in place. It stripped. I tapped out the hole with a slightly larger SAE bolt and it seemed ok. But, while at Main I lost the bolt. The main problem with this location is the frame is only 1/8th inch thick or so and there is not alot of meat for a bolt to grab onto. I tried looking at McMaster-Carr's online catalog and they have a rivet nut that appears might be a solution:

90186a211_detail.gif

The also have inserts but they don't look to hold onto the hole like this one. Anyone have any thoughts on this or can steer me in another direction?

physicistkev

Control Rider
Could you change where the mount is located? On my old GSXR there was a stock damper that bolted to an insert in the frame. The Storz I use now uses and L braket that mounts under the frame rail.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
No, it cant. Here's a picture that is similar to my application:

36.jpg

The two silver bolts go directly into the frame. They are not existing mounting holes. They had to be drilled and tapped to hold the base plate. The frame is not very thick and made of aluminum, so there really isn't too much strength in the connection. There are inserts in the subframes of most bikes that allow you to mount up the seat. I'd like something like that but without having to have it welded in place.

Drewbie

I used the riv-nuts in the swing arm of my old F4i to mount spools for a rear stand since it didnt come with mounts. Worked perfectly and never had a problem with them.

Joe Vital

riv-nuts are a perfectly aceptable solution to your problem jim...imho...what size are you going to use? i have the tool for installing the 1/4-20 size...let me know

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
McMaster-Carr only offers two sizes (6-32 & 1/4"-20). The size of the hole for the 6-32 insert is 0.324" and the hole for the 1/4"-20 is 0.444". 0.444 is a pretty big hole in my frame right next to the steering stem on both sides. Would that cause a problem? The bolts that were used in the frame were M6 bolts, so I would think that the 6-32 size would probably suffice.

And what tool are you talking about? It looks like you drill a hole, install the insert and tighten down. The only problem I could see is that the insert might spin inside the hole.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
An update:

I went ahead and bought the insert that I listed above and also picked up a slightly different kind just in case. It looks like this when installed:

matlthick.gif

Thanks for all the advise!

Joe Vital

jim, the tool i was refering to is one that ensures the insert is cinched down tight enough to survive the rigors of the expected service. i thought i'd be able to show you where it is on the Mc-C site but got distracted by a two foot tall strawberry blonde tornado!

for the application you are using this on i'd consider the second type you bought as opposed the first. the are much more robust.

ta2kutz

the second one is the riv nut style. thats the one that should be used the first looks like the old clamps used to hold a mirror on the outside of the door skins on trucks. proabaly has rubber on the outer part. only the rivnut would be strong enough to get my vote. i also have them on my swingarm to add spools.

the ones in the second pick

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
As a final update, I just received the inserts and they will work fine. The two inserts are only slightly different. The one in the original picture is suffiecient to do the job, but the second one is much stronger. Here's a quick picture of them installed on a test piece:

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

The gold one is the second insert. It has thicker legs, a slightly larger head, heavier guage metal and a longer thread section. If I ever have to recommend these to anyone, I will recommend the gold one. The excess ones are going into my toolbox. So if anyone needs one of these at the track, come see me.

Thanks again for the advise.

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
Interesting. Don't need any but would like to see them in person next time we're out at a track together