Front Sprocket: Which side faces out?

pearsonm

I’m in the middle of my first chain and sprocket swap on my ‘01 F4i. The sprocket set is a Superlite steel 520 kit which I believe is a AFAM product.

My problem is that I don’t know which side of the front sprocket faces out. I assumed it would be the side with markings on it ('3273') but the other side seems to line up better with the rear sprocket and chain guide.

The side with the markings has ~4.25 mm offset. The side without the markings has ~6 mm. The stock sprocket has ~4.85 mm offset. The Vortex sprocket that was on the bike had ~5.35 mm on both sides. When I line up a laser level to the sprockets and chain guide the 6 mm offset seems best.

I’ve burned up Google trying to find an answer. The closest I've come was the 600RR guys who wrote Vortex (600RR.net). Their response was that Honda says offset and racers say no offset, so they made both.

Anyone?

pearsonm

sobottka;126016 wrote: maybe im wrong but i always install the flat side inside and the side with the shoulder out
What's frustrating is I think different makes have different designs. Looking at your avatar, you ride an R6, right? I think Suzuki's also have a shoulder or flange on one side with the other side flat. I don't know why that don't just stamp something obvious on the face.

sobottka

the shoulder is a filler to compensate for the thinner 520 sprocket. think of it like this- if the front and rear sprockets are the same thickness (and they are) putting the shoulder inside would cause the c/s sprocket to be out of alignment with the rear unless the rear had a shoulder too. lay them both on a flat surface and with the shoulder up they should be even

pearsonm

Here are some photos. I also just heard back from the place I bought the kit. They said the number side should face out, which would be the thinner 4.25 mm side.

I still think the offset on the front sprocket shouldn't change - the rear sprocket mounts in the same position on the carrier no matter what the width of the chain, therefore so should the front.

Screw it. I’m going with it. Thanks guys!

sobottka

well youre right, as shown in your first pic- a shoulder on each side ...confusing
all mine have been flat on the back

pearsonm

danch;126049 wrote: I think their engineering pride leads them to a 'Not Invented Here' attitude.
I haven't heard that one before. That's a good way to put it. I've got another thread in here regarding the BS I went through with the bank angle sensor. Of all the bikes I've owned my Suzuki's seem to have been designed with the most common sense.