GSXR air intakes and race plastics?

Vampyre

Hey guys,
I am installing my Optima Racing race plastics on my 06 GSXR 750, and am not exactly sure what to do with the air intakes, as I do not see how they are supposed to all fit together.
Can anyone help me out?

branko

U need to fit them inside the uper plastic and after that instal uper on the bike. (sry 4 my engl>):cool:

Doc750

I leave the air intakes off the bike when I mount track body work ... just one less thing to break in a crash

jimgl3

i fit the intake into the opening and duct tape it then drill the race fairing to bolt / clip to the intake same as stock - 2 holes near the tank. no worries.

DFlowe

I had one heck of a time trying to get my ram-air tubes to fit up properly on my Sharkskinz. I ended up cutting my upper at the bottom and close to the triple clams (out of sight) to allow more space for the ram-air tubes and then zip tied them in place. I know it sounds like a screwed up mess, but it turned out looking good and the ram-air tubes are fitting up as good as can be. They're not an exact fit to the bodywork; theirs a 1" to 1.5" gap between the ram-air tubes and the air intakes on the bodywork that I wish wasn't there. Sharkskinz actually sends some pieces to fit in that spot, I just couldn't get them to fit and stay in place as they should.

Vampyre

I got them to fit, after much wrestling with them, they actually help the fit of the bodywork now... just a pain to get in, was worried I would crack the fairing.

dolfnz67

Doc750;37568 wrote: I leave the air intakes off the bike when I mount track body work ... just one less thing to break in a crash
doesn't that hurt the performance of the bike? :dunno:

jimgl3

???

DFlowe;37596 wrote: I had one heck of a time trying to get my ram-air tubes to fit up properly on my Sharkskinz. I ended up cutting my upper at the bottom and close to the triple clams (out of sight) to allow more space for the ram-air tubes and then zip tied them in place. I know it sounds like a screwed up mess, but it turned out looking good and the ram-air tubes are fitting up as good as can be. They're not an exact fit to the bodywork; theirs a 1" to 1.5" gap between the ram-air tubes and the air intakes on the bodywork that I wish wasn't there. Sharkskinz actually sends some pieces to fit in that spot, I just couldn't get them to fit and stay in place as they should.
I thought SharkSkins were high-end premium stuff? that doesn't sound so good.

DFlowe

jimgl3;38275 wrote: I thought SharkSkins were high-end premium stuff? that doesn't sound so good.
Your thought on Sharkskinz is the same as mine; premium stuff and I expect it to fit right and I'm willing to pay more for it. Installing this bodywork was the 5th set I have done over the years and it was the most challenging by far. The other sets were from the cheapest stuff you can find on Ebay to Hotbodies and I really didn't have any trouble installing any of them.

The finish on Sharskinz brand is better than the others. It's pretty much ready to paint when you get it. Others have needed filler, sanding and priming before being ready to paint.

Ram air tubes

I searched the forum for an answer and this thread was closest thing I found, but the discussions didn't quell my curiosity. Here's what I'm wondering:

Specifically on a 2008 CBR1000rr, what possible harm would come from leaving the air tubes off and simply covering the inlet holes with some bug/rock screen?

Also, when you go through all the trouble of installing a PC3 or PC5 and then go get it dyno'd, you are running the engine in stagnant air, thereby changing the effect of the ram air tubes on the air supply to the engine. Is it significant to my sorry ass, non-motoGP bike and riding skills?

j_fuggin_t

Matt;158855 wrote: agreed!
:agree: very easy mount on my 600rr (which is supposed to be a pita) and they're better priced.

Ram air tubes will never have much of a feel-able effect until you've got a built motor and it needs all the air it can get, ram air is also not noticeable until after 120mph. the .5 hp you might lose by not having them there is never going to affect your riding ability which is the most important option to have :dunno: