Harsh Reality of Racing...GNF Report

Katie785

I'll make it short and let Drew tell everyone all about his races....

But this weekend was the realization of the harsh reality of competition with racing. It is NOT like track days as much as we would like to think....

We get there Thursday at 4am and have to relocate in the pouring rain because a spot that was not marked off or blocked off at all - and one of the very few remaining spots in the paddock - was "reserved" for someone's buddy. The guy never showed.
It rained all morning- we missed practice.

Cue Friday Morning... I wake up and ask Drew where his race tires are, because i remember them being in between the bikes, with the canopy down. We were sleeping in our tent 2 feet away from them. Some one stole them. Yes. Someone was greedy enough to take the ONE set of race tires we brought (i had brought a nicer set of take-offs to race on donated by Joe Vital himself. Pretty sad. Now we have beat tires on both bikes and one set of take offs to run all weekend. Interesting.

600 CC Novice practice was group 1 - that's me! It was damp and kinda drizzling but I needed to get at least some siting laps in on this track. I made it out for my first practice ever at Road Atlanta and kinda fell in love with the track. It was interesting to crest some of those hills not having any idea where the track was going because I was one of the few people who actually went out for the damp practice.

Drew's practice was group 3 and the track was still rather damp, but it had stopped raining. I watched him do almost a lap, come through turn 12 with a Ducati on his tail. I was busy getting my bike ready and didnt watch the rest of practice, but Drew didnt come back. I asked the guy pitted near us (the one who's friend never showed and made us move for) if there were bikes down as he was out in that practice too. He said a few but all the guys were OK. I wait, i know Drew is okay as there was no ambulance or anything. I see him coming down on the crash truck. He is inside it with his helmet still on. This is a bad sign as I know the helmet still being on means he's pissed. It turns out that the Ducati freaked out and T-boned Drew hard in turn 2. It threw him up onto the windscreen with no controls and he was headed towards a cement wall, so he rolled off. The bike fell, stood back up, continued all the way down the hill and T-bone the wall at about 70 mph. TOTALLED. The entire bike is squished. Forks, triples, front and rear wheel, neck of the frame, the needle on the tach even got knocked off and the swingarm and subfram both bent.

So now we have been on the track all of my 1 practice, his 1 lap and we have so far lost our only set of race tires and had someone punt him off his bike and total it. The guy did apologize, I'll give him that.

I continued to practice for the second time that day and got my times down. No races for us Friday, but I told Drew that if he would take it easy, he could race my R6 and at least show his face there. We took care of all the logistical things needed to be done for that...

Friday night. We go to bed at 9 because of the long stupid day. 11PM and the guy next to us has his construction grade generator near our heads just outside the tent. He starts it up. Its loud and I cant sleep so i get out to move the truck.. He isnt running anything on it!! Apparently he just came back completely hammered and decided to start it then forgot to turn on any lights (this is what he told us the next day). He turned it off after about 30 min. 2AM comes around and the guy on the OTHER side of us is blasting music .. 2AM! And he was supposed to race the next day too. Drew got up and asked him to turn it down. He acted surprised that it was bothering anyone. I got about 3 hours sleep. GRRRR

Saturday - Race day.. Got both my practices in, but the brakes were feeling really glazed. I got a new set of brake pads (i had stock ones with 10k on them) and Drew put them in before his last practice so they could be bedded. He came in and they were doing great - but the tire was shredding fast. Made some suspension adjustments and he had me adjust the lever to where I could reach it.

Race 10 - C superbike. (me)
I go out for my warm up lap and realize that I cant reach the brake lever enough. I get on the grid and try to adjust it with no luck! The guys in front and to the right of me line up wierd and block my vision of the starters to where I cant see the flagger OR the board. I just went when everyone else did. The cool thing was that I was gridded up with the 2 guys that I've been riding with all year. Row 13 - all 3 of us. Perfect! They are both just a touch faster than me and I've gotten comfortable enough with them that i can hang with them and always pull my times down.... I got a decent start even with just going when the guy in front of me did, but turn 1 I am a complete wimp. I get my front wheel cut off and just back down, I'm near the back of the back.. I have no brakes practically and I'm just not feeling right. The pack looses me in 3 laps and I just kinda gave up. I couldnt see anyone in either direction so i thought i was last. The tire is now compltely shot and i know Drew still has to do 2 races on it so i was easy on the throttle... ended up 24th of 27. Ick. Rather embarassing if you ask me.

Drew did pretty well in his races for never riding my bike this year (he took it out in B group once at VIR and then for the Demo at Summit at a B pace) and having a completely shredded tire. He also was racing against 750cc and 1000cc guys. He got a 5th in the A superbike though! Not bad at all!!
------

Overall, it was a fun-ish weekend, but we learned alot about the difference when competition is involved in riding and theives are around.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
I grew up in an area where you could leave your car parked in the driveway with the keys in there and not even think twice about it. It is a shame that we've grown into a society with car alarms, house alarms and no trust in our fellow man. Hopefully, that thief will get it back three fold.

That's really too bad about Drew's bike. But, we face that inevitable consequence when we set a wheel on the track, raceday or trackday. Thankfully he was able to still ride and didn't hit the wall when the bike did.

JVance

Wow, sorry to hear the weekend didn't turn out better for you guys. I thought something was up because I kept looking for y'all on roadracingorld.com at the end of every day and I only saw Drew on the results for 1 race which I thought was odd and that was on an R6. That really, really sucks that someone would steal your tires, or anything else for that matter.

I am glad to hear you are both safe.

Joe Vital

Katie, glad to see you are taking this 'excellent adventure' in stride.
When Drew called me Friday morning to tell me about the tires, I was ready to come down there, find and beat the flesh off those scum bags that took Drew's tires.
Whe he called later that morning and told me about the dunb-ass Ducati rider, I was in disbelieving shock. All of the hard work down the drain in one act of sheer stupidity. But as you said, that is racing. It sucks, yes. But in the end that is part of racing, the highs and the lows.

It was good to hear from you guys today.

And just so you know: Thanks from everyone in Joe's Garage for helping us get started. We are glad we could help you and Drew this year. However little that was.

See you at the track.

RacerRuss

Sorry to hear of your bad luck

Hi Katie and glad you are both OK,

Sorry to hear that it was a shitty trip, and to top it off, I know you had a long ride home.

Well, better luck next year. I am sure you will step it up after the tough luck you had this season and I think Drew will be up at the front with the experts next year.

Yank 521

Control Rider
well glad to hear u both came out with no injury's. sucks about the bike, and the magget that stole those tires. i hope somebody through one up in there old lady well they was at the track. drew, keep yo head up bro. u still had a great season.

barry38

Hopefully the shit bags who stole your tires crashed their brains out. Nothing but bad karma to those fucks.

AQUATIC

Road Atlanta is the Bermuda triangle of tracks. Fun track but bad stuff always seems to happen there.

Dave561

Control Rider
I was hoping to hear a better report but at least it 's better than sending you off in the truck with a broken neck and ankle. :doh: You guys did great this year and it was a pleasure racing with both of you.

kubricky

Control Rider
Director
I absolutely second what Barry said...and Joe...and Dave. 5th National is very respectable on a bike you rode twice, that wasn't dialed in for you Drew. Great job this year Katie.

Perlzuki

Drew & Katie, What Barry said!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry to hear that your RA road trip didn't go as planned. Very glad to hear that yall made it back uninjured. Racing & track days are differant in the level of intensity of riding, but the unwritten rule at racetracks is to never mess with anyones stuff! They will get what they got coming to them. See you next year.

Mark
SE CR #249
06GSXR 1000

Blaise

barry38;20545 wrote: Hopefully the shit bags who stole your tires crashed their brains out. Nothing but bad karma to those fucks.
Yep. These things come back around... Jerks. :mad:

Rick Johnson

That really sucks about your bike Drew.It's sad that you can't trust people at the track anymore.I always keep my wallet locked up now and I guess I'll have to do the same with tires too.Glad your ok though.Good job getting 5th.I did some racing this year with CCS on my R6 and R1.The 600 classes are crazy but fun.Seemed like alot crashes and some red flags in those races.I found out quickly why the call it the meatgrinder class.

barry38

It's funny, because at the typical NESBA day, I'll have $3k-$4k worth of tools, supplies, equipment, etc laying around unsupervised, and never give it a second thought. The only thing I've ever heard of getting stolen was a pair of tire warmers stolen from Derek at VIR last year. I'd like to think I can trust the people I ride with, both on the track and in the pits. I probabaly won't change what I do, but I know I'll be thinking about it alot more.

EngineNoO9

Yeah I typically have my truck unlocked with all my stuff in it, my bike has its key in it, my truck keys are in my chair, cell phone/blackberry on chair, various other tools and stuff on my trailer, etc etc...

Matt H

Drew and Katie - sorry to hear about troubles, but glad you two are alright and congrats on the results. Well done.

Steve

Wow! That sucks! Like the others have said glad you're both OK and I hope the thief gets whats coming to him/her! Although you've done well, you two are def not an advertisement for racing!