Heli Bars

kmunny19

I am considering getting heli bars for my 03 gsxr1000. my question is how they affect overall performance on the track. the company states that riders get an improved turn in and handling overall due to the rear and outer placement, but I am wondering if anyone here has track experience with them that they can attest if they make track riding better, worse or the same.

finny47

I swapped my stock bars to heli on my cbr1100xx street bike. It moves the bars up and towards you, closer to a touring position. I did that to make mine more street rideable, not more like my track bike.

I'd recommend vortex over heli. I plan on upgrading to them next year for my track bike.

Vortex Clip Ons are machined from solid billet aluminum with a removable handlebar. In the event of a crash, you simply replace the handlebar tube instead of the entire handlebar.

http://www.vortexracing.com/index.php?src=gendocs&ref=Clipons&category=Products

headstart

Like the other person said they do make the bike more comfortable for the street and I briefly used them on the track on my 675. They were probably a little too high for track riding IMHO.

To me the BIG issue is that if you crash the Heli bar will likely bend because they are 1 solid piece and then you need a new one, that is $$$ to replace. Vortex or other clip ons the tubes are meant to snap in a crash and you can replace it quickly and cheaply for only $10-20.

kmunny19

I hadn't thought about the replacement price in the case of a get-off, which is a really important point considering that I am going to be increasing my track time notably. All I really started off thinking abaout was the want to have less of a backward angle to the clip-on than the oem, and the vortex and some other brands seem to offer that with less $$ commitment than heli.