Hello Everyone! Scott from Avon Indiana

u6x5839

I just purchased a 2005 R6 (Track Only) and am gearing up for the 2010 season. I will be starting out at Putnam. I have been riding Sport Bikes for 13 years and getting into Track Days now. The only question I have for Putnam is what gears to run on my 2005 R6, any info would be greatly appreciated.

beac83

Welcome Scott! It'll be good to see you out there.

For your first day, I wouldn't worry too much about gear ratios. I run a 04 GSXR600 that was set up for -1/+1 from stock when I bought it, and that's how I run it. There is so much else to learn during the first few trackdays that I don't think it will make too much of a difference. Come and enjoy! Putnam is one of my favorite tracks.

See you out there.

Trent1098S

Hey another new midwesterner! Man you're gonna love Putnam. It's a great track!

Putnam's front straight isn't all that long so I wouldn't worry about running out of gear. Most of the places you'll be accelerating out of corners will likely be in 2nd or (perhaps more often depending on pace) 3rd gear, you should have no problem keeping it in the power band. It's a fast flowing track.

u6x5839

The reason I am asking about gearing is that the last race my bike was in was Daytona, so its geared high (0 / -3), I see people are usually geared low (-1 / +2), I think I might be geared a little high for Putnam.

Welcome to NESBA. There are actually quite a few people from around the Indianapolis area on here. If you ever need any help feel free to lest us know.

Since you are from Avon if you have any questions about racebikes the person/place to know is

35motorsports.com in Mooresville.

He will be able to answer any question you have or do any work you need...

gkotlin

u6x5839;99656 wrote: The reason I am asking about gearing is that the last race my bike was in was Daytona, so its geared high (0 / -3), I see people are usually geared low (-1 / +2), I think I might be geared a little high for Putnam.
The Yamaha's use different gearing them most bikes. I'd put the stock gearing on and go with that to start. If you have to buy gears, get two front sprockets. One stock and one -1. This way you typically won't need to change your chain, or make large wheelbase changes. Then get something close to stock for the rear. Some Yamaha people can probably give you a better idea of where to start. I typically run the same gearing at all the tracks except the really fast tracks, like Road America, Miller Motorsports, Road Atlanta. Unlike racing, you won't be changing gearing at every track.

RandyO

Trent1098S;99652 wrote: Hey another new midwesterner! Man you're gonna love Putnam. It's a great track!

Putnam's front straight isn't all that long
so I wouldn't worry about running out of gear. Most of the places you'll be accelerating out of corners will likely be in 2nd or (perhaps more often depending on pace) 3rd gear, you should have no problem keeping it in the power band. It's a fast flowing track.
lol... yea my GPS said 172 mph on that "not so long" straight... wait till you get the 14 out there...

I run the entire track in 3rd gear on the big bike.. if I try and use second (T7) it just stands on the rear tire and ruins T8 for me.. run out of 5th gear on front straight..