How to evaluate life left in used slicks?

mdhokie

That does help, thanks. I hadn't yet looked up the compound meanings. I have a mix of the 7455 and 8477. I'm guessing the 8477 is the harder compound, less feel and requires more heat to perform, but maybe lasts longer? All the tires are 2015 or newer, so I think they are good on age. There was just one I think that had a slightly noticeable flat spot on the shoulder. All have clearly visible wear marks.

buzz-06

That does help, thanks. I hadn't yet looked up the compound meanings. I have a mix of the 7455 and 8477. I'm guessing the 8477 is the harder compound, less feel and requires more heat to perform, but maybe lasts longer? All the tires are 2015 or newer, so I think they are good on age. There was just one I think that had a slightly noticeable flat spot on the shoulder. All have clearly visible wear marks.

So compounds here we go!

7455 - this is the dunlop medium, works very well in temps ranging from about 50-85* or so (mainly depends on pace). For a faster rider that puts lots of heat in the tire the medium will go away pretty quick in temps above 85* (starts to overheat) but for your pace it'll work great all the time. You run this tire at 23psi off the warmers and enjoy good grip and good wear.

8477 - this is the medium plus, this is more of an endurance tire, doesnt offer much edge grip but wears like iron. It's not a tire you're going to set any fast laps on but it will last a good while and provide adequate grip. this is a good trackday tire, it'll last a good while and treat you well. Same thing run this tire at around 23psi off the warmers....

7455 front - I've got my own personal opinions on dunlop fronts but I don't want to skew your outlook on a tire you've never ridden. Run this tire between 33-35psi off the warmers, it works everywhere in all temps. How you work the front dictates the pressure you run, start at 33 and go from there.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Don't forget another easy option - keep running the Q3's you've been running and hold onto the slicks until after you're comfortable with the bike.

mdhokie

Don't forget another easy option - keep running the Q3's you've been running and hold onto the slicks until after you're comfortable with the bike.
I think I am going to do exactly that. First track day on the Q3s from my other bike. Will keep a set of slicks on the other wheels, maybe try them out later in the day or on the next track day, whenever I am reasonably comfortable with handling and riding position.

JBowen33

I always used this. I always replaced fronts before they wore out (mental thing)

Rear slide is fun and manageable. The front sliding not so much. Maybe split the difference. Rock the rear slicks sell the fronts.

bmart

Control Rider

And if you decide that you don't want to run them, PM me. I'll run anything that says Dunlop on it! (And they just started offering the Q3+ in sizes for my 400. Woot! The GPR-300 ST tires are fine, but they don't have the feedback of sportier tires.)