HUGE PROPS for Setting Up the Double Cones @ Main

sooperman12

I just wanted to give big props to the staff for setting up double cones up in the corners around Summit Main on Monday. They were a HUGE help and I know that at some tracks, it's not quite as accessible as say JC, but you all stepped up big and set 'em up for Main. Appreciate it SO much and made my first ride in I group so much easier to get along with. I hope that NESBA continues with this practice as done in the Yamaha Champions riding school. It's a huge benefit. It doesn't seem like much, but it's something that I believe can be touted about NESBA that, perhaps, no other organization is currently doing. It's literally like having a riding coach at every corner! Great work, bravo. Again, another reason why NESBA is 1st class, top shelf, and all the other superlatives!

daddyo

As a B rider the double cones helped tremendously on Main to correct some turn in issues I was having on the first few laps. They are a big help when crossing the apext o know you are on the right line.

stkr

This should be something that's considered for ALL of the NESBA tracks. I agree, it's a great tool for learning where the apex is, and how you should be lined up with it. It definitely helped during the Yamaha Champions School.

stkr

The cones (smaller version) are setup on the inside of the apex, space a few feet apart, and are parallel with the preferred race line at the apex. The idea is that when you pass by these cones, you should be traveling parallel to them.

If you're angling inward towrds them, then you entered too late and your exit line will not take you to outside of the track and you've given up that track to drive out on. This isn't as bad as the next, but if you turned in late, then you'll have to have a greater lean angle to make the turn for a given speed, which limits how soon you can get back on the throttle as you reduce lean angle.

If you're angle is opening to the exit, then you turned in too early. You cannot drive away from the apex, because you have to wait until you turn more to get lined up with the exit point. While you're waiting to complete the turn and drive out, someone on the proper line will be coming underneath you, and driving out (only in :a: though).

Having two cones, gives you immediate feedback on THAT turn so that you can adjust for the next lap. Like stated above, it's like having a CR at every corner, every lap.

EDIT: There are times when you may want to take a turn with a different entry (early/late) depending on traffic, but knowing the proper line will help you decide how to balance the pros/cons of your choice.

COOLTOY

Great explanation about the cones and apex.

We have seen so many riders who are so focused on getting to an apex, that they forget that the direction change of the motorcycle is what matters most. The combination of putting the motorcycle in the right location, or on the apex, and getting the direction change done so the bike is pointed in the right direction are key to being prepared and maximizing the exit of the turn. It is also essential to safe street riding.

Having the bike pointed in the right direction is more important than getting as close to the apex as possible. However, once we can control the direction change, it is fine control use that gets us right up against the apex every time.

Glad to see this was put into place and for recognizing the Yamaha Champions School as the source for the idea. I certainly hope we are involved with NESBA a lot more in the future!

SHORTY
Yamaha Champions Riding School

daddyo

I did the SED day at Putnam recently with no cones. While I relished the opertunity to ride without the crutch, I had considerable dificulty with turn one locating the apex and entering at the proper angle to hit the exit and line up the next turn.

I have to add, this was My first time at Putnum.