Intermediate most hazardous group?

R_Oner

Question from someone about to sign up...

I've heard that the intermediate group could be considered the most dangerous because people can sign up directly into this group without "earning their stripes".

I plan to start in beginner (even though i have many years of experience) and i don't necessarily feel comfortable with the fact that some noob could endanger me once i have moved up to the "I" group.

Can someone speak to this and help me understand how a new member going straight into the "I" group is handled? Is there any special probationary period / attention given to them to ensure that they are in the correct group?

Thanks... I look forward to riding with you all!

TwoTyres

I believe the CR's are always evaluating riders, If they see a rider who needs to be bumped, up or down they will take the appropriate action.

beac83

I'm in B so take what I say with a grain of salt.

The CR's watch everyone out there. If someone is really not belonging in a group, no matter which group, they will deal with the situation. I have seen guys who have signed up in :i: get bumped to :b: after one or two sessions when it's clear they are not in the right place. Similarly, I have seen guys in :b: their first day get bumped quickly to :i: when it is warranted.

Folly1

Very few new riders sign up in "I". It they can't hold the pace, or the race line, they stand out and the issue is addressed by the CR's.

Is "I" more dangerous? I think I might be qualified to answer this question, as I rode in "B" for almost 2 years, then 2 years in "I" before I bumped myself back to "B". The "I" group has a more consistent pace and line.

"B" is moving a lot slower and usually, IMHO, does not have as many people pushing beyond their ability. You get more surprises in "B" but this likely to be caused by you coming up on a slower rider, or having a rider suddenly brake in front of you. You can avoid both of these situations by looking ahead and engaging your brain.

Ben.

LesPow

Control Rider
Not sure where you heard that and if it relates to Nesba, but usually if a noob does get in for the "I" group, it would be noticable right off the bat, and he would be bumped to "B". Nesba's control riders control the pace in the "B" and "I" groups and they keep a keen eye out for EVERYTHING. Usually the first two morning sessions are taken relatively easy/slow and if a NOOB gets through those two sessions then maybe he really belongs there. I mean to say that the track is an intimidating experience even for a veteran street rider, it's night and day, how diff. the track environment is from crazy aggressive street riding, diff. rules and skills. So that goes to say, if you dont belong in a particular group the CR's will spot you like...?????......Drews umbrella girl Dale.

R_Oner

So there is no "Scarlet Letter" of sorts for such a member? Does a CR chat with the new member (before the first run) specifically about his choice to go straight into "I" or watch this member closer in the beginning?

Thanks for clarifying here.

rayten

When I joined NESBA I went straight to I, I felt like a moving chicane for a session or 2. ten years off, new track, new bike. I raced a few AMA races back in the day..., so I know how to be safe on the track, even if WAAY off the pace. If you read the rule book, it should help the decision. B is very structured, more instructional, definetly not what I needed. No CR pointed me out, even when I was a traffic cone, they watch and figure out pretty quickly who belongs.

Ray,

nickmick

R_Oner;64162 wrote: (even though i have many years of experience)
race experience? trackday experience? road experience?

B group in NESBA is a pretty fast pace. And if you start getting bored picking people off, line up next to a CR and they'll bump you.

rk97

first time WITH NESBA and first time ON TRACK are very different. the option to register directly in "I" is for the former. Anyone registering directly to "I" should be riding at least that pace with other TD orgs, or have a novice racing license (an expert license is required to register in A for your first day).

I don't consider "I" group to be most dangerous because I trust the CR's evaluations of people - i believe the other "I" riders around me are no more dangerous than I am :p. but the pace is quicker than B for sure, so when there is a wreck, it's usually a bit more serious.

Just take it easy the first couple of sessions and pay attention to who's around you. If someone worries you, mention it to a CR. the system works.

danch

rk97;64718 wrote: first time WITH NESBA and first time ON TRACK are very different. the option to register directly in "I" is for the former. Anyone registering directly to "I" should be riding at least that pace with other TD orgs, or have a novice racing license (an expert license is required to register in A for your first day).
You can get a novice racing license without being able to ride well enough to be a NESBA I rider - all it takes is passing an open book test and not falling off.

rk97

^ well damn, if i know i won't get last... WERA here I come!

(seriously - i'll be out there when i'm reasonably sure I won't be LAPPED. didn't know it was so easy to get a license. that's kinda scary...)

danch

rk97;64725 wrote: ^ well damn, if i know i won't get last... WERA here I come!

(seriously - i'll be out there when i'm reasonably sure I won't be LAPPED. didn't know it was so easy to get a license. that's kinda scary...)
WERA is a little more structured in that they have the 'Provisional Novice' for two weekends after the class. Also, what I've seen out here in the CCS clinic is a lot of the riders show up with a track-day prepped street bike and have no intention of racing the next day. The guys who actually stay to race tend to be alright.

For NESBA purposes, though, a Novice license can't really be taken as evidence of any level of skill.

jkrueger

danch;64732 wrote: WERA is a little more structured in that they have the 'Provisional Novice' for two weekends after the class. Also, what I've seen out here in the CCS clinic is a lot of the riders show up with a track-day prepped street bike and have no intention of racing the next day. The guys who actually stay to race tend to be alright.

For NESBA purposes, though, a Novice license can't really be taken as evidence of any level of skill.
right on danch, i lapped one of the guys in a blue shirt on lap 5 of a 8 lap race at blackhawk (between the bus stop and 4)

pefrey

rk97;64725 wrote: ^ well damn, if i know i won't get last... WERA here I come!

Provisional Novice Racing License = taking a class

Novice Racing License = completing two races and not crashing.

Expert Racing Licence = a whole lot more criteria but basically you have to be good.

The Expert license is the one you need to sign directly into "A".

dudette

If you sign up for "B" and things start clicking for you and you feel comfotable out there it will show. The CR's watch the people in "I" and "B" to make sure someone isn't riding above their limit .They also look at the riders lines and the way they pass. If not up to parr, they will talk to them or even bump them back to "B".
When I was in "B" you would see a few people riding really fast to try and impress the CR's to get their bump. Every morning meeting the CR's tell everyone that speed is not the only thing they look for to bump up to "I".
When I was in "B" I would ride in the back part of "B" and be moving through traffic well. Look at the riders ahead of you and find a way to set them up and pass safely. I get a kick out of people that say they want to get to "I" because they won't get stuck behind slower riders. If you are faster...you will get around and pass within the rules.
Don't worry to much about "I" being not as safe.
Donna
07 cbr600rr "I" #626