Intermediate Tire Questions

ckw373

I didn't find this answered anywhere else, so here goes...

Hi Steve -

I have a question about tires. I primarily run the 211GPA tires on my stock engine 2006 GSXR 600 with warmers at the track. I have a spare set of wheels with a set of Q2 tires because I was under the impression that these tires would perform better on a drying track or during LIGHT rain than the 211GPA tires. I also have them so that if I need to change tires during the day, I won't miss a session.

Your post about the 211GPA being a better tire at any temperature made me wonder if my above setup is any good. Should I ditch the Q2s for an intermediate tire and just run the 211GPAs in any conditions other than standing water and hard rain that would mandate rain tires?

Also, I was told to buy the 190/55 Q2 rear for my 600 to match the diameter of the 190/55 211GPA (they match very well). I was at the Yamaha school in June and they were running 180 Q2 rears on their bikes. Am I doing myself a disservice running the 190/55 Q2 by squishing too much tire onto the 600 rim? Should I replace it with a 180 Q2 and deal with adjusting ride height?

Thanks,

-Chris

DUNLOP-RTS

ckw373;197312 wrote: I didn't find this answered anywhere else, so here goes...

Hi Steve -

I have a question about tires. I primarily run the 211GPA tires on my stock engine 2006 GSXR 600 with warmers at the track. I have a spare set of wheels with a set of Q2 tires because I was under the impression that these tires would perform better on a drying track or during LIGHT rain than the 211GPA tires. I also have them so that if I need to change tires during the day, I won't miss a session.

Your post about the 211GPA being a better tire at any temperature made me wonder if my above setup is any good. Should I ditch the Q2s for an intermediate tire and just run the 211GPAs in any conditions other than standing water and hard rain that would mandate rain tires?

Also, I was told to buy the 190/55 Q2 rear for my 600 to match the diameter of the 190/55 211GPA (they match very well). I was at the Yamaha school in June and they were running 180 Q2 rears on their bikes. Am I doing myself a disservice running the 190/55 Q2 by squishing too much tire onto the 600 rim? Should I replace it with a 180 Q2 and deal with adjusting ride height?

Thanks,

-Chris
Chris,

The 190/55 is not an issue on that 5.5 rim with the Q2. Its a better tire for side grip. Nothing wrong with the 180/55, but you would be splitting hairs trying to figure out if one was better than the other unless you were pressing on the very limits of the tire. I personally think the 190/55 is a little bit better for side grip.

As for rain setup, its really hard to call that one. depends on the amount of rain. The only situation I would think the Q2 would be better is in more rain/standing water and you did not have the option for full rain tires. The Q2 has deeper and more tread, so it would channel water better in standing water.

But honestly I think you should predict for dry and make your choice for the dry. Then if it rains, just try to survive through it. The only way you will have the best setup for each situation is to have wet and dry tires ready to go on rims. But that is not very cost effective for track days.

ckw373

Steve -

Thanks for the information...this section of the forums is awesome. I guess I forgot to mention in my first post that I do have un-mouned rain tires, so based on your reply it appears as that I don't have much use for the Q2 tires and that I should rock out the 211s until the conditions merit enough water to mandate the full rain tires.

Hopefully somebody wants a brand new set of Q2s....mounted once and never used. :dunno:

Thanks again,

-Chris