Intro

KLewis75

June 30th at road america will be my first track day. I am signed up for the intro at this time. If I wanted to run a full day would I be able to pay after my 2nd heat to stay for the remaining heats?

jcrich

As long as it ( I am assuming Beginner group) is not sold out, that should be yes. Your bike would also have to meet the tech requirements for that group as well as your gear.

KLewis75

so the first 2 beginner heats are just tooling around the track then? Or will I be able to go as fast as I am comfortable with? I will be setting up my bike to run all day and I do have correct gear.

BigBird

we dont really tool around the track even during the 1st two sessions. bumps to higher groups have been given in the first few sessions. but usually no one really goes all out because everyone is getting warmed up, including the track.

you'll definitely want to stay for the rest of the day!

jcrich

KLewis75;132490 wrote: so the first 2 beginner heats are just tooling around the track then? Or will I be able to go as fast as I am comfortable with? I will be setting up my bike to run all day and I do have correct gear.
Well you will not probably be going the full Beginner pace and will be led by a control rider the entire time you are out there in Intro. If you stay, there will still be control riders but they will wave you around and you can ride your pace after that as long as it is safe for you and your fellow riders. The control riders are there to help, seek them out.

beac83

Usually, the first session is used to find your way around the track, either as a newcomer to the track, or as a refresher to those of us who have been there before. Road America is a long track with fast straights and both fast and tight turns. If you've never ridden it before, the first session or two you will likely be trying to learn the line around the track, and commit it to memory.

That said, those sessions are not slow. Typically, the yellow flag is up for the first lap or two, then it comes down and you are able to pass other members on the straights. CR's will waive you by once the yellow flag is down if you approach. However, you will find that some in the B group are pretty fast, and know the track pretty well.

Welcome to NESBA! Road America is a fun, fast track and you should enjoy it.

rk97

IMHO, as someone who rode many a "B" session with intro riders, the biggest thing is to not get overly anxious and impatient.

The first two laps of the intro/B sessions will be under a standing yellow (no passing). The Control Riders' first job is to keep everyone safe. Going fast is secondary.

that said, they want to evaluate who is on track a bit before just turning you loose. But they also understand that the intro guys only get 40 minutes, and want to make the most of them. Personally, I'd rather go a bit slower than I wanted than sit on hot pit because someone wrecked. Patience is a virtue.

What you absolutely DON'T want to do is break passing rules. I watched an intro rider pass (me) under yellow, and when a CR came around both of us to reign him in, he passed the CR without being waved by. That resulted in an immediate "slash across the throat," and a long talk on pit road. The guy was fast, but impatient. Probably wasted half of his first session getting reprimanded, when all he needed to do was wait another lap before picking up the pace...

Regarding whether or not there will be a "B" spot open for Intro riders, If the day isn't sold out, then absolutely. If the day IS sold out, I have heard conflicting answers to that question, depending on the region. Road America is a Mid-West event, so you want to contact Fred Duncan, Brian Blume, or one of the other directors for that region. I know Brian's screen name is "bucky_badger" and I think Fred's just just "fred." They can give you a firm answer.

have fun :)

KLewis75

Thanks alot for all the feedback! I just went ahead and canceled the intro and signed up for beginner. I know after the first 2 sessions I will just be getting into it, so I figured I might as well just sign up right away. I am extremely excited to get out for my first trackday!