Is it too cold for track day?

Luisrromero

Since we didn't know what was going on with NESBA and I needed some track days, I signed up with another club to do Summit point Main next Monday. But it’s saying the highest is going to be 41F… idk that sounds a little cold for my own safety. I went down hard last year on turn 10 on the last session in I group, and yes I did a track day at NCBIKE to get that fear out of me… What do you guys think 40s too cold???:confused::confused:

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Depends on how badly you need a track fix. Everyone's different. Personally, I don't like to ride on the street or track until it's in the 60s, LOL. As far as it not being safe, you just have to realize that when it's cold, the grip is down. It'll take more laps to get your tires warmed up, and they aren't going to warm up and achieve the grip level you'd have on the 70+ days. If you're using warmers, the cold track can actually cool the tires down.

Cold days have to be treated similar to wet days. You're not going to be able to go out and put down your fastest laps. They can still be fun, but you have to take it easier than a warm day and be extra smooth.

PJZOCC624

Track time is always good, you just need to adjust your riding to the track conditions. I treat cold days like rainy days - gotta be SMOOTH on the brakes and easy on picking up the throttle, focus on body position, and dial it down a notch or two. There's a lot you can learn on cold and rainy days while riding at say %60 of your normal pace.

Summit Main is slick when it's cold in my experience. If you haven't had much experience with pushing the front through a turn, then be on the ready for it! Tire warmers won't do much on a day when it's that chilly out. If you use warmers, that's fine, but don't let them give you false confidence. You'll lose whatever heat the warmers put in the tires while you're gridding up for your session. If you have those wheel blankets/curtains to shield your wheels from the cold, that helps a LITTLE, but your cold wheels will sap some of the heat out of the tires that the warmers put in them as well.

Keep your body warm. UnderArmour cold gear stuff is awesome, and get a box of rubber gloves (I like those blue ones) - wear them under your gloves and they'll keep your hand much warmer. Good warm socks, and a neck warmer. Be prepared for your face shield to fog up from time to time. If you don't have one of those nose covers on the chin bar of your helmet, some duct tape over the bridge of your nose connected to the chin bar does a pretty good job of keeping your breath from blowing up across the face shield. Breathe Right (or similar) nasal strips are also a must for me on cold/rainy days. Taking some of these variables out of the equation helps to keep your focus on your riding. It sucks when your fingers get numb from the cold and you start worrying about your digits rather than being smooth and consistent on the bike.

But yeah man, go ride. Track time is track time. And if it's your first day out this season, it's a good way to brush off the cobwebs, and it'll force you to take it easy and focus on the most important aspects of riding.

Luisrromero

Thanks everyone for the advice! I think I'll pass on this cold day... There's always next time lol. See you guys/ladies at the track!

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
ridelater;303652 wrote: +1:agree:
I actually don't roll a wheel unless its 65+.
Hahaha I'm with you Pat…:D I'm a fair weather guy myself, to each its own, if you decide to roll just don't go out blazing.

Mikey75702

41 isnt bad.... At NJMP for the first Air Fence Fundraiser I believe it was in the 30's and there were a TON of us out there. It kinda sucked that it was warmer on track in the suit that it was in the tent back at the paddock. If you can deal with the temp while sitting still, its pretty fun. Great for a season opener, since you arent going out to do "blazing hot laps" anyways :D

Shinobi

vinny337;n446029 wrote:

Hahaha I'm with you Pat...:D I'm a fair weather guy myself, to each its own, if you decide to roll just don't go out blazing.
Nice feed to read while having my morning coffee well afternoon coffee haha it's my day off. If my hands are cold I get all wimpy and stuff. Plenty of warm days-a-comin to empty out the old checking account on. Plus I'd rather crash on a warmer day so more people can see it hahaha

:agree::haha: