Keith Code's 2 day camp?

Dylan Code

stow;135606 wrote: I saw that today also. OTT is doing a great job. I wish SpeedTV would collaborate with them.
:agree:

It would be great to have a sportbike-specific TV show without the stunting stuff...

Blinky

That stunt stuff gets old pretty fast.

Wonder why everyone stopped expressing their opinions...oh well. I'm gonna try to do lvl3 in August and see if they can try a different method teaching for me.

Shane, u should go too. I need someone to lap me a few times.

noobinacan

I'm sorta against tuition and classes. It takes away from the fun of learning it on your own for the love of it and also from human ingenuity.

If you're fast...you're fast. by Birth, No matter how much tutoring or training given.
Sure these race winners have gone to the school, but they're winning not because of tips or classes...but because its just them.

If you're a sharpshooter...you just are.
If you're a genius...you just are.

Don't take me wrong, I am not trying to bash any of these school. They're probably great for some folks...I'm just against the false belief "If you wanna be fast..you must go to a race school"

Now learning core stuff like bike setup, suspension...etc etc is another story
don't want to re-invent the wheel there.

JRA

A school is going to help eliminate a lot of trial and error. You can break a lot of bones and tear up a lot of stuff with the trial and error method. If you want to improve your riding in every way, not just getting faster but improving all of the techniques that allow you to go faster, then you can do it more quickly by learning from a good teacher.

There are a lot of guys who quit this sport after a short amount of time because they got hurt or wadded up one too many bikes. Training can go a long way towards making this a sport you can enjoy for a very long time. Having an open mind about learning puts you a lot further along the path being around for the long term.

noobinacan

JRA;135759 wrote: A school is going to help eliminate a lot of trial and error. You can break a lot of bones and tear up a lot of stuff with the trial and error method. If you want to improve your riding in every way, not just getting faster but improving all of the techniques that allow you to go faster, then you can do it more quickly by learning from a good teacher.

There are a lot of guys who quit this sport after a short amount of time because they got hurt or wadded up one too many bikes. Training can go a long way towards making this a sport you can enjoy for a very long time. Having an open mind about learning puts you a lot further along the path being around for the long term.
Thanks for sharing that...interesting opinion that I find myself in agreement with somewhat.
Always good to hear the other side of things.

noobinacan;135741 wrote: I'm sorta against tuition and classes. It takes away from the fun of learning it on your own for the love of it and also from human ingenuity.

If you're fast...you're fast. by Birth, No matter how much tutoring or training given.
Sure these race winners have gone to the school, but they're winning not because of tips or classes...but because its just them.

If you're a sharpshooter...you just are.
If you're a genius...you just are.

Don't take me wrong, I am not trying to bash any of these school. They're probably great for some folks...I'm just against the false belief "If you wanna be fast..you must go to a race school"

Now learning core stuff like bike setup, suspension...etc etc is another story
don't want to re-invent the wheel there.
Although I agree with some people who have "God given talent" noob and just have the gift right out of the bag; I wholehartedly disagree with part of your theory.

Just go ask the fast people when they 'got' fast. You'll have varied responses.

For myself, I shot competition in high school and college (trap and small bore rifle) I was good but not great. Then I had a set of mentors and strated to practice; I mean really practice and one day it just clicked and I started to get better and better and better. I don't know how far I could have gone because I graduated and had no money (as most graduates don't) and moved to a anti-gun State. So my shooting days turned back to being just fun. But I grew up shooting and although I was a good shot, I never knew I could be great till it happened. It took years before it happened.

Hell, listen to CR Miller's speech if he is a B Captain. Took him two years of constant track riding before his light bulb went off. One of my favorite racers, Joey Dunlop, was not fast or particularly good at road racing when he started, but he became one of the great road racers of all time at the TT and Northern Ireland races.

I highly recommend reading Kenny Roberts hard to find book "Motorcycle Road Racing Techniques". I got a copy through inter library loan and I think his insights on what it takes to be fast will interest you greatly brother. A really good read.

Peace,

BZ

p.s. I do understand some people just can't learn a certain skill. I've seen it in shooting, riding (this may be me LOL!) and believe it or not dance class. But they were not that common.

Dylan Code

Blinky;135737 wrote: That stunt stuff gets old pretty fast.

Wonder why everyone stopped expressing their opinions...oh well. I'm gonna try to do lvl3 in August and see if they can try a different method teaching for me.
If you do end up coming, make sure you see me first thing in the a.m. so I can get you paired up with your coach and plan out the day in accordance with your goals.

Cyclepath

I read somewhere Ron Hix was a guest instructor Yamaha Champions Riding School. If you cant afford the school why not just sign up for a trackday that Ron is at and learn everything for the cost of admission?? Sounds like a steal to me.....

Gorecki

Bubba Zanetti;135796 wrote: p.s. I do understand some people just can't learn a certain skill. I've seen it in shooting, riding (this may be me LOL!) and believe it or not dance class. But they were not that common.
Seems like in most things it's not that a person can't do something, it usually either takes them more practice for something to stick, even develop a motor skill they never had. The mind is a powerful thing and a decision to succeed or fail (consciously or not) can be the difference alone.

Riding is a good example. Let's say we have two people who are going to take a riding course (general) for the first time having never ridden before. One rode a bicycle nearly every day from the ages of 5-15, while the other had never ridden a bicycle. Which one will take to the motorcycle, counter-steering and balance most easily? Brutally obvious but, you get the gist.

noobinacan

Bubba Zanetti;135796 wrote: Although I agree with some people who have "God given talent" noob and just have the gift right out of the bag; I wholehartedly disagree with part of your theory.

Just go ask the fast people when they 'got' fast. You'll have varied responses.

For myself, I shot competition in high school and college (trap and small bore rifle) I was good but not great. Then I had a set of mentors and strated to practice; I mean really practice and one day it just clicked and I started to get better and better and better. I don't know how far I could have gone because I graduated and had no money (as most graduates don't) and moved to a anti-gun State. So my shooting days turned back to being just fun. But I grew up shooting and although I was a good shot, I never knew I could be great till it happened. It took years before it happened.

Hell, listen to CR Miller's speech if he is a B Captain. Took him two years of constant track riding before his light bulb went off. One of my favorite racers, Joey Dunlop, was not fast or particularly good at road racing when he started, but he became one of the great road racers of all time at the TT and Northern Ireland races.

I highly recommend reading Kenny Roberts hard to find book "Motorcycle Road Racing Techniques". I got a copy through inter library loan and I think his insights on what it takes to be fast will interest you greatly brother. A really good read.

Peace,

BZ

p.s. I do understand some people just can't learn a certain skill. I've seen it in shooting, riding (this may be me LOL!) and believe it or not dance class. But they were not that common.

I do agree that there is a range of skill level...from people who naturally get it and can go fast to those who don't and have to work hard at it. After reading these responses I can see how a school will help the average person with their track riding.
I will try to find a copy of that book...thanks for sharing