Kinda new...just been a long time

greg sproles

Hi everyone- seems like a great group to run track days with.
Just a quick question... I raced in WERA many years ago, sold all my things and decided to wait til my youngest graduated- (he did!) before I resumed my racing....
Next was the safest bike I could find (got it)
If I was running 1:36s @ RA for my first time on the track since 2007, should I be in novice group? I don't think that is the correct group.
Why would they make someone who is clearly not a novice, run in that group? I come from a safety point- we all know the correct group is safest. Any info could help! Thanks again!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I think, but am not positive, that you should be able to sign up in Intermediate. At least that used to be the case. To sign up directly in Advanced requires a current expert race license.
At any rate, send an email to support@n2td.org and they'll get you squared away.

If you are new to us your first event requires you to sign up as Novice - even as a Director I can't change that. However, I can do this - all you need to do is let us know (which you have) that you have skills and want to move up. We will do an on-track evaluation first session or two and make the determination to move you accordingly. We make this rule so that we have eyes on every rider and that all riders have the necessary skills to ride their assigned group. We also do this to give our staff/instructors a chance to put their eyes/name on a rider when they bump them so we can have a record of who bumped, when they bumped, who bumped them, etc.

Don't worry - if you have the skill we don't want you riding in any group but the one that fits you like a glove! Welcome to N2 brother - you will see that we are a great organization with great people!

HJ

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Thanks for the clarification, John. I didn't know that the system now requires all riders new to N2 have to sign up in Novice.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Hi everyone- seems like a great group to run track days with.
Just a quick question... I raced in WERA many years ago, sold all my things and decided to wait til my youngest graduated- (he did!) before I resumed my racing....
Next was the safest bike I could find (got it)
If I was running 1:36s @ RA for my first time on the track since 2007, should I be in novice group? I don't think that is the correct group.
Why would they make someone who is clearly not a novice, run in that group? I come from a safety point- we all know the correct group is safest. Any info could help! Thanks again!

Anyone that is capable of running a good Advanced pace (regardless of track) can easily, safely, ride in Novice and Intermediate without disrupting or unsettling any fellow rider on track.

If you can run 36's at RA, it will take a control rider about 2 seconds to notice you and get you bumped accordingly.

adotjdot

Control Rider
ATP/3C
Hey Greg, first of all...welcome! Glad to have you join us. Just to clarify something, you asked "if I was running 36's at RA"...have you had a chance to get back on the track this season yet? If so, did you ride with us yet? I was just wondering if you were asking because you had attended one of our events and were placed in Novice.

I definitely have to agree with the comments made above. If you follow our process and line up to go out with the lead CR's in the group, it will be very obvious very quickly to us what group you belong in. The evaluation process is there specifically to make sure that riders are placed in the right group. As Otto Man mentioned, if you have the proper skills, you should be able to pass other riders easily, safely and within the rules of the group.

When you do come out to ride with us, make sure you introduce yourself to the group captain that is assigned to your group. When you explain your situation, be sure to not just say "I have raced before, can I get a bump?" Make them aware of your riding history and where you feel you are pace wise. Ask them if they would be willing to work with you early to evaluate your riding. You need to remember that the CR's out there do not know you and have never seen you ride before. They need to have a chance to see what you can do physically, see if you have not just the proper pace, but can also use good judgement in how you ride, and pass within the rules of your assigned group.

Hopefully this helps and will make your experience with us a good one. Our main goal for all of our members is that you have fun. I am very confident that once you start riding with us you will be very impressed with the level of professionalism and customer service we provide.

Thanks!

greg sproles

AWESOME INFO! Thanks so much everyone! to get to all the points made, yes, I rode for the first time a couple weeks ago.
. I was running 36s--37s for my last sessionat RA.... Did not push it, but was def held up by slower riders (that's fine, just getting back into it) I rode safely all day, and was able to keep calm (couldn't sleep for a week!) Like everyone, I just want to go as fast as possible but as SAFE as poss!
I most certainly will heed all the advice and look forward to riding with you all soon!
Cheers everyone-
Greg

darth nater

Staff member
Control Rider
N2
Thanks for the clarification, John. I didn't know that the system now requires all riders new to N2 have to sign up in Novice.

The system is now setup that brand new accounts are always enrolled in Novice when signing up for their first day. However it gives them an option to make their case during sign up if they feel they should be in intermediate group. This justification for intermediate is sent to the powers that be who will make a decision on whether or not they can go straight into Intermediate and if so will adjust their sign up for the event accordingly.

Slitherin

Control Rider
Director
If you're planning on going to Barber, there will be plenty of Control Riders there to grid up with you. Just find one in the paddock and ask them to ride with you. When someone does hook up with you, do what you normally do. I see too many people go out and "Push it" to show a CR how fast they are and they end up not riding they way they typically do. I assure you that speed is only PART of the evaluation. They will be looking for consistancy of your lines, smoothness of bike inputs, predictability, hitting the apex of each turn, ability to make clean passes, ability to follow the rules of your class, and lastly....pace. I've had some blazing fast members who when being evaluated couldn't hit more than one or two apexes in a row per lap or made a bad pass (usually on the last lap or two of the session:mad:). Fast as hell but not ready. They said after the session "I don't know what was wrong with me". I said it was easy, you put too much pressure on yourself to "Go Fast". You were faster than you felt comfortable at, faster than your typical pace and that caused you to miss turn ins and apexes, and more importantly faster than you needed to be. I found that same person the next day and I tucked in behind him for most of the session. He hit every apex, smooth as glass, made clean passes that looked effortless, had a consistant line, and was about 10-15% slower. He got the bump.