lights??

droopy

Can I just put painters tape over ALL my lights??? AND do I have to disconnect them? Can I leave them on? take out fuses?????

Emerson

BobbleHeadMoto
Control Rider
ATP/3C
painters tape is fine, you dont have to unplug anything but its greatly appreciated since it can be pretty distracting to anyone riding with you. easiest way is just to take out the fuses for your lights.

beac83

It's pretty easy to remove the fuses for brake/tail and headlights. Also makes taking the tape off easier, since if the lights are off, the tape adhesive doesn't get heated and become harder to remove. Look in your fuse box for the legend of which fuses do what. Then pull the brake and headlight fuses. Put them back in after the track day, and all will be well.

Depending on the bike, it may have a single plug in the tail to unplug the brake/tail light. Headlights can often be unplugged behind the bulbs without much effort.

It can be very distracting to see brake lights on the track, and they will show through the painter's tape.

geckert

+1 to the fuses.

I just pull the seat off, pull 2 fuses and all the front and blinkers are off no need to unplug. For me, the rear is connected to my instrument pannel:dunno: so I put painters tape with black marker to hide the brake light. I remeber one guy had his brake showing a little and I kept reacting whenever he started to brake so make sure you get them covered good.

PJZOCC624

geckert;73202 wrote:
. I remeber one guy had his brake showing a little and I kept reacting whenever he started to brake so make sure you get them covered good.
:agree: Werd... I HATE seeing brake lights come on when I'm behind someone!

Maybe I need to focus better, Grasshopper....

JeremyGSU

Geez some of you guys are anal. lol Having done 31 car track days and only 3 on the bike I'm used to seeing brake lights so it doesn't bother me if I happen to see one. It can be a distraction though if you're not used to it.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Yup, tape all the lights. Best to unplug them so the lens doesn't get too hot and/or make a mess of the tape on it. I thought disabling the brake light was mandatory, but I'm not finding it in the manual. Other clubs I used to ride with required it, and I think it's a good rule. Nothing more distracting than seeing brake lights on the track, IMHO.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
HondaGalToo;101808 wrote: Yup, tape all the lights. Best to unplug them so the lens doesn't get too hot and/or make a mess of the tape on it. I thought disabling the brake light was mandatory, but I'm not finding it in the manual. Other clubs I used to ride with required it, and I think it's a good rule. Nothing more distracting than seeing brake lights on the track, IMHO.
:agree: It's a fixated object...

Ruhe52

Odds are if you can see the light through the tape you will be asked to unplug or add tape before passing tech. Just an FYI.

I know painters tape it a preferred method, but if you really want to cover it and not unplug look into gaffers tape in black or a color matching the paint job. It is heavy and blocks the light very well.
Also it does not tend to leave its adhesive behind.
I find it real useful for taping over wheel weights and it just peals off with no mess when you mount a new wheel.

Geez some of you guys are anal
just figuring that out?????:D

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Gaffers tape, haven't heard of that. Thanks, I'll look into it for my wheel weights, as I have a lot of duct tape....mess! LOL. I always used duct tape on my lights (before Armour Bodies) and the residue was easily removed with Honda cleaner. Not so with the wheels, maybe because it's on there a lot longer.

Ruhe52

Judy it is not cheap but I bought 2 rolls of it 3 years ago and have a ton of the stuff left.

It is the stuff that.. well gaffers use to tape down mic cords a/v cords etc.

No I was not with A/V club in high school before you say anything Chuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clean the surface you want to put it on with rubbing alcohol and apply. Strong bond and no nasty mess when you pull it off. Again it could have the same issues as painters tape if you don't unplug
your lights but I have heated it with a heat gun in real cold temps to get it more pliable and did not find it getting messy.

Meat

cyclerant;101906 wrote: Judy it is not cheap but I bought 2 rolls of it 3 years ago and have a ton of the stuff left.
By the roll, I thnk prices are around $20/roll for the gaffer's tape. But after seeing how the stuff worked on Rants wheels, I think it is a good idea. I just haven't ordered any yet.

I someone finds it for cheaper, let me know.

Myers

Control Rider
imo...experience.. show up.. hook up with someone and they will help you with unplugging should you need it. I always have tools with me so if you need to unplug something I can lend a hand...

ps: dont worry.. the experience after you are "teched" will be well worth the confusion of shutting off the lights.

see you in the spring

A a B-grouper, I put a layer of the green or blue painters tape down, then cover that with a layer of the the black Gorilla Glue brand duct tape in black.

When it comes to pulling fuses I am lazy LOL! This method works well and no reall tape residue is left behind. However, don't use the Gorilla tape straight on; you'll pay dearly. That stuff sticks to crap it shouldn't!

BZ