NESBA Yamaha Demo Rides: Summit Jefferson (8/1)

sooperman12

Firstly, I want to thank NESBA and Yamaha for having this program. I have to say that it is a direct result of this program that I purchased a new motorcycle at the beginning of the year. With the incentives and ability to test ride a machine on the track (a venue for which it was made) is a great experience and opportunity to see how it performs beyond the daily commute. It is a wonder why not more manufacturers have programs like this.

Secondly, I want to specifically thank Mark for running a great day and keeping the riders moving through the sessions. Mark always lets off as a friendly and approachable guy. He had good knowledge and information on the motorcycles on hand and was able to answer a lot of the product information questions.

Thirdly, I want to say thank you to the Yamaha R1 for making me re-think my purchase and making me want to step into another new bike. This program is good but dangerous for the wallet, especially if you're trying to be fiscally responsible and take care of a family. The first R1 I went out on today was set to stock setting and was utterly horrible. Like riding a trampoline. Mark allowed me an additional session due to the low turn-out and rode the R1 with a bright orange CR sticker on it. Wow! Like night and day. Effortless, like butter! Darn near perfect. Wish it wasn't a demo and I could open it up a bit, but probably best that I didn't!

Just had some feedback for the program:
1) I think there was a collective "huh?" when I saw there was going to be a demo ride @ Summit @ Jefferson no less @ 8 AM in the morning, following a fresh rain fall. Not only that but they'd be running the R1. Recipe for disaster? Mark said he lobbied for a lunch time demo, but the ambulance guys are required a 1-hour break. Just a suggestion, perhaps to appeal to a wider scope of people who may not leave near a track, need to drive to one and not prep like it's a track day... perhaps having an afternoon demo ride, maybe AFTER a track day? This would also allow those who signed up for track day to participate in the program especially if they're looking for a new ride without having to miss the rider's meeting in order to do it.

2) As I suggested to Mark, not everyone is a skilled rider out there (as was obvious), but perhaps having a couple of bikes set up specifically to reveal its best attributes on the track. So, having a couple of R1 and R6 set up suspension-wise to really carve would be a lot of fun. I mean after my first session, I wanted to toss the R1 it was so bad. But I'm glad I got to ride a set up one because it changed my mind completely!

3) At the rider's meeting, perhaps briefly go through the CR hand signals. I know that there isn't supposed to be a lot of passing going on out there, but there was a difference in skill level and it's just good to group riders together for safety.

4) Lastly, Mark said there weren't any written surveys, but a written survey would be great for riders to submit some real feedback not just to NESBA, but to Yamaha too!

Other than that... THANK YOU very much NESBA, Yamaha, MARK and CR Staff for creating an accessible opportunity for riders to ride the latest and greatest.