NESBian Engineers

Snow

Guys I am thoroughly impressed with all our backyard engineering skills! For example, in some recent threads we have shown this ability. Snikwad and his buddy have created some beautiful lap timer holders made out of Carbon Fiber. These holders could easily sell for more than what they are selling for. Thunderace built his own Strapless stand for less than $30.00 bucks, and I’m sure it works just as good as the STS stands for literally a fraction of the price. And my final example, I’ve been wanting to install a tire rack in my trailer for sometime just to keep spares off the floor, clean up the appearance, and create more room. Upon looking for one I only could find one that was 48” long, which is to long, I would never carry that many tires I use them up to fast, I like to keep two rears and a front. Also the cheapest one I could find was $199.99 and I didn’t want one that much. So like other NESBian’s who are creative and know that they are handy and can build their own needs, I built my own tire rack. It’s 26”, holds the tires that I need, cost less than $35.00, and is retractable(the pic is below). So I’m curious, what other things have you guys built that you have not shared that makes track life easier and cheaper? Post a description and a pic. I know I’d like to see them and I’m sure others would like to also.

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
Good job. I actually thought of doing something like that but never got around to it.

For rims you can also use threaded pipe.

Bill of materials (2) safety pins, (2)1/2 " pipe flanges and (1) 12" 1/2" threaded pipe. Take the 12" section of threaded pipe in 1/2" diameter and thread it onto a pipe flange that is bolted to the wall. Then place the rear rim on the pipe and mark it. Remove the rim and cut the extra length. Then use the cut off section and thread it into another pipe flange for the front, mark and cut again. I use the large safety pins to keep the rims retained to the pipe.

DSC_0005.jpg

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
Snow, thanks for the cudos. I've made a few other things as well:

Something I made to attach my tire changer to the receiver of my truck
IMG_0001.JPG

I welded a pipe the same size as my axels to an E-rail clip so I could mount my wheels on the wall in the trailer and the garage
IMG_0003.JPG

I modified my tire changer with plastic pieces to protect my rims
IMG_0005.JPG

I fabricated some aluminum to turn my crappy Lockhart Phillips universal stand into a spooled stand
IMG_0006.JPG

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
A couple more....

I made a XT Lap Timer holder out of an office door name plate
IMG_0014.JPG

And of course the strapless stand (sans paint)
stand.JPG

Snow

Cole;44109 wrote: This thread kicks ass!
Ingenuity at it's finest and most useful
Thanks Man, but it's all of you and the ideas that we share that kick ass.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
They are guide rails for the rod that goes through the axle. The stand actually lifts the rear tire off the ground a little. It's hard to see in the picture, but there is about an inch or so of lift.

jkrueger

ladybird style res bracket for brembo mc i got a 4' x 1/2" x 1/8" aluminum bar at menards for $3.50 i should be able to make about 8 of these out of 1 bar
sale278.jpg

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
Thunderace;44129 wrote: They are guide rails for the rod that goes through the axle. The stand actually lifts the rear tire off the ground a little. It's hard to see in the picture, but there is about an inch or so of lift.
wait a tic....how to you get it threw the axle if the tire is off the ground??

Burnall4

you put the bar threw the axle back it up and those loops help slide the bar into their notices, where I guess he tightens it down on the outside where the washers are. you put the bar through when its on the ground I am guessing...could be way off here. but thats what I would fancy to say.

dlockhart5x

cad cam

a few items that I have whipped up or am planning on making someday.
Some KTM GP type toroidial head inserts for the 250
I got the chamber cad data from a guy in France and modeled it up to work in my heads.

I modeled up a nifty extension beam for a go-pro mount. I might get around to making it someday.

Snow

dlockhart5x;44165 wrote: a few items that I have whipped up or am planning on making someday.
Some KTM GP type toroidial head inserts for the 250
I got the chamber cad data from a guy in France and modeled it up to work in my heads.

I modeled up a nifty extension beam for a go-pro mount. I might get around to making it someday.
dlockhart5x, did you design that stuff on a Auto-CAD or a VIZ program? Thats what the renderings look like.