New guy from Chicago area - trackday coming up!

Kordyte

Hey guys, I just bought a track-only bike and joined up with NESBA. I did the intro group a little over a year ago on my stock '05 R6, and obviously loved it, but the money wasn't there at the time for track days. I've since gotten rid of any and all street bikes, and bought the '01 GSX-R that stephenjpauls was selling (that's his forum name, not going to give out his real name in the interest of privacy :D)

The bike seems to be perfect for what I'll be doing -- track-only riding, I don't need a fast/pretty/modern bike to learn on while I'm still slow.

My bike numbers are on the way, and I'll be shopping for new frame sliders, but other than that I'll be keeping the bike the way it is for this season at least.

As for tires, I'm thinking I'll not get tire warmers quite yet. There are new-ish Battlax slicks on there now, I figure I'll use those up, and when those are gone go to a cheaper track/street tire that will last longer and be more okay with multiple heat cycles. What do you guys recommend, me being a complete newbie? I just want a tire that's sporty enough for exclusive track use and still being somewhat economical.

I'll be at Blackhawk on June 5th.

The bike... in MY driveway though!

201058petermotorcycle2.jpg

jimmeigs

Welcome to the track......talk to Marshall and Joe over at Turn One Racing about your tire needs. They're experts with great service and prices.

See you out there.

mike27

Welcome! I was in the same boat as you, being new to the track with a new track bike wondering about tires for a newbie. I talked to Marshall about it and he recommended Dunlop Q2's and they seem to be a great choice for me. I did Putnam recently and the track was a little wet at the beginning of both days and I didn't have any issues as far as a slide or anything so you might want to start there. I'll be at Blackhawk in June also so hope to see you there.