New to N2 and Curious

chiguy64

Hi all from Georgia! I'm a new N2 member and just wanted to say hello and maybe get some feedback.

I'm not "new" to operating a motorcycle, but don't feel I have control of it yet. As such, I'm considering taking a track day to improve my skills, especially in the curves. One thing, though: I ride a 2013 Yamaha FJR. I would like to bring it to a track day just to get familiar with its capabilities. Not necessarily to race, but to develop the technique necessary to be in control. Right now, I don't get that sense at all when negotiating curves. What say the group? Am I making a mistake of even thinking about bringing a "big" sport-tourer to a track day, or should I save my pennies and buy an inexpensive track-ready sports bike before attempting such a venture?

Slitherin

Control Rider
Director
Needle in the arm my friend.......

Lets do a track day he said......It'll be fun he said......10 years later and I still can't wait until the next event......will NEVER be able to retire now. Practicing my "Welcome to Walmart" greeting now.

chiguy64

Thanks everyone for your votes of confidence that I'm on the slippery slope into addiction. Like John, I'll never get to retire at this rate. :cautious:

adotjdot

Control Rider
ATP/3C
Hey chiguy64, we have seen all kinds of bikes at the track. You will be shocked what your bike is capable of. Some of the coaches have begun using FZ1's for instruction and they are a fantastic platform. Not quite as big as your FJR but similar challenges with regards to weight and ground clearance. They really make you focus on using your brakes and body properly.

We work pretty closely with people who are new to the track to make sure they are getting the proper information and training from day one. Just be sure to listen closely during the riders meeting and make the CR's aware of who you are and the fact that you are new. And yes, after getting a taste of the track you will definitely want more and probably be finding ways to sell anything not tied down in your house to pay for it! ;-)

Welcome to N2!!

R1Baby

Control Rider
I remember back in the day a gentleman who would ride his BMW Jefferson circuit at summit point. Take off the saddle bags, tape it up, ride all day. Then put his bags back on and go home. Should be fun.

chiguy64

I remember back in the day a gentleman who would ride his BMW Jefferson circuit at summit point. Take off the saddle bags, tape it up, ride all day. Then put his bags back on and go home. Should be fun.
I have to admit, I'm a bit nervous about bringing the Feejer to the track (I've been online the last few days looking for an inexpensive track-prepped SV650, or similar, bike to use). I think I hear A.J. promising me that he, or some other CR, will keep an eye on me so that the only regret I will have is not doing it sooner. :)

Mike:p

Don’t be a Hero, be consistent.
Listen to what the CRs tell you. They won't steer you wrong. On the other side it ride within your limits, I remember my first track day. Emerson was working with me, he showed me the line for a couple laps then gave me a wave to come around him. It was all I could do just to keep up with him and yes he was going very slow for me. I just shook my head no, I wasn't ready. He was cool with it. I made it through my first day without a major incident and now with a few more track days under my belt I feel much more comfortable.

Something else to consider is going to a riding school such as Yamaha Champions Riding School. They will teach you everything you need to know to become a faster safer rider. It is an excellent platform for track days. Then, once you do your first track day event with N2, you will be much more comfortable. I also have an FJR for 2 up sport touring and an FZ1 for solo touring and the occasional track day. My next bike will be an R6, mainly for track days. It is amazing how much more comfortable I am on the FJR after doing a couple of schools with YCRS and track time on the FZ. The help you will get from the control riders at N2 is invaluable as long as you have an open mind to what they are telling you to do.

chiguy64

Listen to what the CRs tell you. They won't steer you wrong. On the other side it ride within your limits, I remember my first track day. Emerson was working with me, he showed me the line for a couple laps then gave me a wave to come around him. It was all I could do just to keep up with him and yes he was going very slow for me. I just shook my head no, I wasn't ready. He was cool with it. I made it through my first day without a major incident and now with a few more track days under my belt I feel much more comfortable.
Good info, especially the part about shaking off his signal to come around, and his not holding it against you. That's part of the apprehension I was feel about giving a track day a try, i.e., not reconciling that it's okay not to try something that you're not comfortable with (riding at "light speed," negotiating corners at a quick pace) and being judged harshly because of it.

I love that quote under your avatar. I have to remember it.

chiguy64

Something else to consider is going to a riding school such as Yamaha Champions Riding School. They will teach you everything you need to know to become a faster safer rider. It is an excellent platform for track days. Then, once you do your first track day event with N2, you will be much more comfortable. I also have an FJR for 2 up sport touring and an FZ1 for solo touring and the occasional track day. My next bike will be an R6, mainly for track days. It is amazing how much more comfortable I am on the FJR after doing a couple of schools with YCRS and track time on the FZ. The help you will get from the control riders at N2 is invaluable as long as you have an open mind to what they are telling you to do.
Interesting. I assumed YCRS is something to attend AFTER gaining experience on the track. Obviously I allowed the name to mislead me without further research. I have a lot to learn...

YCRS teaches champion's habits, techniques that the best in the sport use. Several of the control riders at N2 have been guest instructors at YCRS which is how I found out about N2. Some of the best riders in the world attend YCRS to hone their skills as well as "regular" guys like me who knew there was something missing in their every day riding. The school is a real eye opener into the sport. Nick and his crew are the best in the business. Take the school first and then start doing track days. Google and Youtube YCRS for more info. I have attended 2, 2 day schools and will be back for another soon. You will enjoy your FJR so much more after the school and be totally ready to do track days with N2. I don't work for either organization, I am just a total fan!

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
I have to admit, I'm a bit nervous about bringing the Feejer to the track (I've been online the last few days looking for an inexpensive track-prepped SV650, or similar, bike to use). I think I hear A.J. promising me that he, or some other CR, will keep an eye on me so that the only regret I will have is not doing it sooner. :)

On my first track day with N2, I brought my Blackbird Sport Tourer (CBR1100xx). I taped up the lenses, removed the bags and pulled the fuses for the lights. And this was at Summit Shenny, probably one of the least "Bird" friendly tracks out there. Yes, the bird was big, long, and heavy, but for your first time it would have been fine (I also had a buddys R6 with me). Bring the FJR out and don't worry. Just pay attention and listen - you'll end up buying a track bike in short order after that!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I, too, am a huge fan of YCRS. I can't disagree with doing it first, but there's pros and cons. If the scheduling is such that you can get to an N2 day before there is a YCRS school available, don't miss out on the N2 day. We have Novice classroom sessions, and first time to the track riders are assigned a control rider, usually 3-4 riders to a CR. The CR will work with this small group for at least the morning, going over lines, body position, and other pointers. As has been said, most CRs have taken YCRS, so that's how we teach.

chiguy64

I, too, am a huge fan of YCRS. I can't disagree with doing it first, but there's pros and cons. If the scheduling is such that you can get to an N2 day before there is a YCRS school available, don't miss out on the N2 day. We have Novice classroom sessions, and first time to the track riders are assigned a control rider, usually 3-4 riders to a CR. The CR will work with this small group for at least the morning, going over lines, body position, and other pointers. As has been said, most CRs have taken YCRS, so that's how we teach.
I'm trying confirm if I can attend at least one day of the NCBIKE event in November (that four-letter word, w o r k, is causing some issues). There's a YCRS ChampSchool in Arizona in early December. Decisions, decisions. I appreciate the input.