New to the Trackday scene

RMILLER

Hello,

I'm new to the trackday scene and looking for good advice and good people to hang with and learn from. My number one goal is to learn proper technique for day to day riding as well as for the track. I've been riding for about a year and 3 months. I did take the advanced MSF course which I thought was very helpful. I currently own a 08 Yamaha R1 that i've been riding on the streets (i didn't start off on a liter bike). I know it's probably a lot of bike for someone with the amount of riding experience I have, but i'm not caught up in having to ride fast for the moment. I have people I ride with now who go off and leave me in the dust doing 140+ on the hwy and what not, but that them. Most of them have way more experience than I do.

I'm currently signed up to attend my first trackday on 9/26 at HPT

located in the Kansas City, MO area

Rofique pronounced (rah-feek)

Domenic

Welcome

Welcome to Nesba and have fun learning the next few years. Don't worry about the Jones' and their going 140 on public highways. :argh:Don't even think about it. Just wait til you get to the track. It will make you realize a lot of things about the Jones'.:doh:

RandyO

Welcome to the addiction and welcome to the NESBA family.. (first year for me too)..
Not much to do until you get on the track other than make sure your bike and gear are all set..

From there, the control riders are going to be your best friends.. They will take you from ground zero to the best of your ability at your own speed... Really nothing to be nervous about (butterflies are normal)..

Here is a site done by Brian (Wink) one of the guys that helped me out a ton..
http://web.mac.com/brianwink/iWeb/TrackDays/TrackDays.html

There is a ton of good info and really should help clear up any questions and just get you all the more excited to get on the track..

As posted above? do not worry about anyone else's riding... Starting out as the slow guy only leaves one way to go... UP... and I can tell you that there is a LOT of satisfaction getting better every time you get on the track..

I just got my first "bump" and am completely stoked about it... Raced for 30 years and never felt this good even after event wins... You get to feel great about self improvement without having so smash anyone.. :)

(take your camera... pictures are nice to have)

RMILLER

I agree, that was a great link. I will definitely go over it few times before the HPT trackday on 9/26.

as far as gear goes. I have been looking online for 1 piece leathers and i've seen a few set for about 299.99 on sale. Are you familiar with Texport or AXO leathers?

Myers

Control Rider
300 seems awfully low for a good set of leathers. Im trying to line up renting for my first time. Ive heard of AXO but nothing in depth. If you know your sizes pick up a used set. just my 2 cents

RMILLER

I agree, that's why I want to know if anyone has heard of those brands. I'm sure you get what you pay for. The AXO suits are normally 699.99, but they are on sale currently for 299.99. Any other brands you'd recommend?

626suzuki

+1 looks like some good deals to me and ya know if they use them its good stuff. I will tell ya to deeply invest in track time and tires. I've caught my self buying a lot of go fast but not doing to many track days.

RMILLER

Thanks for the heads up. I just contacted them about one of their suits and boots. The prices seem to be very reasonable.

dbakerpa

I would rent your leathers for the first time. Depending on your experience you may or may not want to go back to the track. You will will also get a feel for the right size-they feel too small if they fit right.
Dont sweat the track -my first time I did go with friends, but if I was alone with nothing but my bike and a tent there are a bunch of guys there who would be super willing to offer any advice you could want, tips, tricks, and things to make your track day better.

rk97

The AVG "forza" one-piece is around $300 new, and a decent brand. I would spring for Moon's 'garage-sale' Teknics if you can swing the extra $125 though.

RMILLER

I should probably hold off on a suit for now and go ahead with the rental. It is a little hard to hold off now that everything is dropping to the price range i'm willing to pay. However, you make a great point about knowing if it's something I will want to do in the future.