NJMP Thunderbolt

Matt A

Going out for my first NESBA track day in Oct at NJMP Thunderbolt. I grew up racing dirt bikes and have ridden sportbikes for years and ride pretty aggressively. I am a very good rider, but no where close to pro or 'stud' level. Opinions on should I be cautious and start out in the beginner class, or is that a risk where I may get stuck there and get a bit bored or feel as I wasted a day, or are the guys pretty good about bumping you up if they see you are in a level below what you are capable?

crewnutz

Matt A;38246 wrote: Going out for my first NESBA track day in Oct at NJMP Thunderbolt. I grew up racing dirt bikes and have ridden sportbikes for years and ride pretty aggressively. I am a very good rider, but no where close to pro or 'stud' level. Opinions on should I be cautious and start out in the beginner class, or is that a risk where I may get stuck there and get a bit bored or feel as I wasted a day, or are the guys pretty good about bumping you up if they see you are in a level below what you are capable?

youre waiting till Oct this year for your very first trackday!! you know NESBA will be there in April right?

start out in whatever class you feel you would do best in, beginner or intermediate, the control riders will be able to tell pretty soon if you made the correct decision..........however keep your ego straight...... being a good/fast rider on the track is far different than thinking your a good/fast rider on the street

get out there, have fun, be ready to learn

you def. picked the right trackday org :D

Matt A

I hear that ! I am by no means going to get on a track and ride like I am sponsored and all crazy on the first lap.. Like I said, I grew up racing and know my limits and respect others. The last thing I want is to crash someone or myself. I definately want to hit the track before Oct, but just bought a bike for the track and need to do some tuning and mods and stuff first.....and we all know how money 'aint growing on trees these days !!

NoBull

Why do you have to do tuning and mods and stuff? Throw some track tires on it and come out in April. Waiting until the end of the season (when the season hasn't even begun) is crazy.

Rick Johnson

Heck you don't need to do all the mods first.Get it to the track first and see how you
like it and then determine what mods you want.Just read the rule book first and it will
tell you how the bike needs to be prepared for I or B group.Not much to it.:idea:

Matt A

Yeah....now all of you are talking me into it !! Do most of you do full on race tires ? I am a die hard Metzeler man and not sure if i should get their sport/race combo or full on race jobs.

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
I would recommend the Pirelli Corsa III for starting out all the way to advanced. You can get them at the track or if your die hard Metler get the M3. Basically the same tire from what I understand. Mounting at the track is free on tires bought from Nesba so that will probably be your cheapest route on tires

Matt A

Thanks Dave. Question though....I never could figure out how to 'buy tires from NESBA' Is there a direct link form the site here ??

Tony A

Matt A;38273 wrote: Thanks Dave. Question though....I never could figure out how to 'buy tires from NESBA' Is there a direct link form the site here ??
parts@nesba.com and tell him what you are looking for, include bike yr and model, make.
he'll also need your member #

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
Matt, you have two easy options. Either buy at the track and have them mounted then and there or buy them from Nesba and have them shipped to your house. Email Nesba at parts@nesba.com and ask the question. You can even buy tires other than Pirelli if you choose.

I swear, everyone breaks out the Kung Fu on me at least once a week!

Slitherin

Control Rider
Director
Matt A;38246 wrote: I grew up racing dirt bikes and have ridden sportbikes for years and ride pretty aggressively. I am a very good rider, but no where close to pro should I be cautious and start out in the beginner class, or is that a risk where I may get stuck there and get a bit bored or feel as I wasted a day, or are the guys pretty good about bumping you up if they see you are in a level below what you are capable?
I tell everyone that I talk with to start in "B". I too felt that I was a fast rider when I signed up but still signed up for "B" because I didn't want to get in over my head or in anyones way. I was shocked at how fast the "B" group goes. It didn't take more than a few TD's to get bumped into "I" and the skills I learned in getting around people in "B" made the transition in to "I" much smoother. The CR's are great to work with and will not "Hold" you back for any reason other than skill development. I know at times I felt like I should have gotten the bump sooner than I did but looking back, It's so clear to me now why the bumps came when they did. Kudo's to the CR's for that.

Like everyone else said, get out early this season. You will kick yourself in the ass when you do your first day in Oct and then you have to suffer this god forsaken off season we have to deal with up here in the NE. I can't wait to hit the track in April.