Problems with stiction

rostam

Sticiton = static friction

Hello,
I am new to the track scene. Just bought a 600rr track bike, fitted with all the goodies.

Before I take it to the track, there is one concern that I'd like to alleviate. The front fork does not seem to be working properly. By this, I mean that when I sit on the bike while on the rear stand and compress the front, it does not bounce back up at all.

Then when I get off, it comes up very little. Finally, when I raise the front, it comes up very high and kinda sits there. Now I haven't measured the distances, but it seems to be more than ideal.

What could cause this kind of problem, or is it just normal?

The previous owner said he had the fork adjusted or something.

Anybody know anyone in MD (gaithersburg) that is good with these things. I'd like to get it checked out before I go to Carolina for the track day.

Macon663

Stiction is the enemy of suspension. If you've got more than 10mm of it up front, you've got a serious problem. The only place close to gaithersburg is Ram Cycles in Rockville on E. Gude Dr. I know they do suspension work there.

That being said. I would dial all the rebound and compression out of your forks and start over. Make a note of where they were and then go all the way soft on everything. That should make your front end pretty springy and bouncy. If you've still got a stiction issue I'd get them torn down and looked at. I suppose its possible hes got his rebound turned all the way up making the forks come up wicked slow.

rostam

Sweet

I'm going to soften the forks today and take some new measurements. If its over 10mm, I will take it to RAM. I've been there before and they are a good bunch of people. I think it was called CAD cycles before?

JASON748

Check the front axle, it's really easy to over tighten it on the 600rr's and it pinches the the fork legs together just a little and this creates sticiton. Easy way to check this is remove the nut/bolt (depending on what year 600rr) from the axle, loosen the pinch bolts then do the bounce test again. Also make sure the correct spacers are in the correct side of the wheel.
Second thing I would check is that the triple clamps aren't twisted (not aligned) or bent, that'll cause the same thing.

If you still find you have a significant amount of stiction - then have the forks checked out.