R1 test ride review

miller

Control Rider
On 9/15/08 at NJMP I rolled into the pits and saw the NESBA / Yamaha rig sitting there. I figured what the heck, and signed up to test ride a new R1.

My test bike was a brand new 2008 R1 with 575 miles on it. As I pulled out onto the track the first thing I noticed was how light and nimble the bike felt. I even leaned to the side to look at the stickers because I thought that Sternsi screwed up and gave me an R6. Nope, it was the R1. Nice.

The first couple of laps I just cruised around to get the feel of the bike. Well, it didn't take long before I was grabbing huge amounts of throttle and dragging my knee. The bike is VERY confidence inspiring, even in full street trim. The motor has power EVERYWHERE, and it's delivery was smooth and usable. Not at all what I expected. The bike was incredibly stable through turns and felt at home being flicked side to side. Seating position was comfertable and the reach to the bars was just right. Not only did the bike build speed in a fast-foreward type manner, but it shed it just as fast. I came down the front straight and grabbed the brake like I normally do on my bike (a stock 96 CBR900). The R1 responded by yanking the back wheel off the ground and kicking me up out of the seat. Most impressive on the bike's part, and incredibly stupid on mine.

I would like to thank BOB and Yamaha for allowing me to test ride an incredible piece of machinery. If you don't take advantage of this program you're nuts. Now I just have to sneak one past the wife.

LesPow

Control Rider
It was because of the Demo bike program that I realized that my F4i had to go. I really wanted to get an R6 but the Gods sent me a deal I could not refuse, its a 600RR, and that R6 is crazy sweet to ride as the R1 is, they are truly remarkable machines. I still want an R6.

Hey Mike, how long have you had that CBR900?? You were the first CR who taught me the ropes around Jefferson.

miller

Control Rider
I bought the 900 new in 1996. Is still stock with 33k on it. These new bikes are just awsome in every way.