Race bike opinions

dc aka lowside

Give me your advice about which bike I should race with. I currently use a 05 R1 set up for trackdays almost fully race ready. I am learning pretty quickly on it as I am ready for the intermediate level in only 5 trackdays and 1 year riding experience total. I have been talking and researching a lot of racers and most of them ride 600cc sportbikes. Some say its to be eligible to enter more race classes and others say because they are lighter and more flickable than a liter bike. My question is what are your thoughts about buying a R6 or late model CBR600RR and making it an all out race bike vs. keeping the R1 I am so familiar and comfortable with and safety wiring it and some other little things to qualify it to race?

kd83

Ride what you are most comfortable on, i made the mistake of switching bikes mid season and ended up selling the bike and going back to what i was riding before. If your a comfortable on the R1 ride it for a few more seasons and then make the switch.

Its true that you can Race a 600 in C, B and A classes but that is a lot of races and alot of cash. You can race atleast A SB and SS and im not sure if you can run some of the formula classes or not. Go to the wera site and see what all you can enter its right in the rule book.

Also if you already have the R1 setup for yourself, you have to keep in mind how much you will spend for a 600 of the same caliber that has all the suspension, exhuast, motor componets that your bike already has.

Not saying by any means you need a full ohlins suspension, but most racers are running aftermarket shocks and atleast springs up front if not complete re-vavle. Along with exhuast and being dyno tuned, if its going to cost you more to down grade i say keep the R1 and use the money you would spend on tires and entry fee's.

Rick Johnson

Try the R1.I have both and raced them all season.I still prefer the 1000 but the 600 is fun also.I got lots more podiums on the R1.I just know the bike better and love the extra hp.

dc aka lowside

Thanks for your input guys especially the one with the 05 R1 winning podium positions with it, it reassures me that the R1 is a great bike and properly setup can win lots of races for me. On another note, what types of races or classes are good to start with, I want a chance to win, I want to race against other novices with not many races under their belts.

Garrison

dc aka lowside;87260 wrote: what types of races or classes are good to start with, I want a chance to win, I want to race against other novices with not many races under their belts.
You don't get better by racing people equal or lesser than you.
And btw, I'd seriously suggest you be in "A" class before you go into racing. B class is a snail's pace compared to A guys and racing is a another step above that because everybody wants to WIN. Not to mention you don't yet know the feeling of riding race pace with a pack of people. Your lines have to be flawless with people passing you on the inside and outside.

I'd say you hold off on the racing until you get more track time under your belt.

rk97

Garrison;87261 wrote: You don't get better by racing people equal or lesser than you.
And btw, I'd seriously suggest you be in "A" class before you go into racing.
I think expecting to WIN a race before you're in "A" is unrealistic, but I wouldn't let that stop you from racing. I was surprised by the number of "B" pace riders in the riding school I attended.

the term "novice" class is a misnomer anymore... with trackdays as popular as they are, the club racing scene is fast riders in novice, and really effing fast riders in expert.

the race school I attended had 17 participants. If the 17 of us had raced each other, I (as a mid-pack "I" rider) would have finished in the top 5. If i had actually run the Novice solo 20 the following day, I would have been lapped by the top 5, and lucky to finish ahead of the bottom 5.

That said - i wish i'd done it. I'm quite certain the adrenaline and competition would have produced personal best laptimes, and helped me step-up my game.

Rick Johnson

There are some fast novices racing.To give you an example top 5 of the Unlimited class most on 1000's at VIR a few weeks ago were running 34's to 38's.Not sure what group you are in but you really need to be able to hold your line so you are not a danger to others.If you can do that try it next year and see what you think.You'll have to take a race school to be able to get your license.

rk97

Rick Johnson;87268 wrote: You'll have to take a race school to be able to get your license.
yeah, but the race school is a bit of a joke. The written test is ok, but some of the questions are worded terribly.

"true or false - it's only ok to do wheelies on the cool-down lap."

their insertion of "only" makes it sounds like answering 'false' (which is the correct answer on the test) implies it's ok to do wheelies other times.

there were other similar examples...

Jiggy

Control Rider
The rule says that you are allowed to do wheelies on the cool down lap only if you win.

In my racing opinion, I say you sell the R1 and buy a 600rr so you can add to the money pool for the Middleweight SOLO races. In my professional opinion, you cannot put a price on confidence. If you are comfortable on a bike you are currently piloting, wire it up and get it out here. In the meantime, sign up for as many trackdays as you can to improve on your consistency in every corner.

crewnutz

i think you should be able to hop on any bike and be comfortable before you start racing

a bike is a bike..........

race whatever you want, in the end you're their to have fun so dont worry about anything else

slowpoke

rk97;87267 wrote: I think expecting to WIN a race before you're in "A" is unrealistic, but I wouldn't let that stop you from racing. I was surprised by the number of "B" pace riders in the riding school I attended.

the term "novice" class is a misnomer anymore... with trackdays as popular as they are, the club racing scene is fast riders in novice, and really effing fast riders in expert.

the race school I attended had 17 participants. If the 17 of us had raced each other, I (as a mid-pack "I" rider) would have finished in the top 5. If i had actually run the Novice solo 20 the following day, I would have been lapped by the top 5, and lucky to finish ahead of the bottom 5.

That said - i wish i'd done it. I'm quite certain the adrenaline and competition would have produced personal best laptimes, and helped me step-up my game.
RK - big difference between upper 'i' (which you are) and upper 'b' based on lines and comfort of close passes as mentioned above.

DC - think it might be initiation by fire for you. i too want to try wera next year and think i'm ready to ride in the pack (mostly in the back) based on riding 'a' w/ other orgs and getting used to being stuffed, but i wouldn't have tried it when i was in 'b' or even new to 'i' b/c i still had too many basics to learn. still have a lot to learn but don't spook like i used to. my 2 1/2 cents.

Chad Dupree

This is just my opinion/.02 cents.

If you want to learn to go fast and acquire the skills that it takes to go fast, then sell the R1. Use that money to get a really really good set up SV and put the rest of the money into race entry fees, tires and run a full race schedule. Run every race that you can enter the SV in. Track time, track time, track time. (under race conditions)

This will teach you corner speed. Once you've ran a full season, sell it and get a inline 4 (600 or 750). Then combine the SKILLS you learned from the SV (corner speed) with that of the striaght line speed of a inline 4.

The SV will teach you corner speed and also how to race bar to bar with people. Races are won in the corners.......not in the straights. SV's are great bikes to race. Cheap on tires, crashes well, and alot of spare parts at the track.

Just my 2 cents, good luck with the decision.

Landshark

Control Rider
I say go race! You'll know exactly where you stand when its all over. Learning via immersion is the quickest most thorough way.
The bike thing is a separate topic. I personally think any bike you are comfortable with and confident on its a winner. That said a smaller bike might be more conducive to skills development.

eagletangogreen

crewnutz;87357 wrote: i think you should be able to hop on any bike and be comfortable before you start racing

race whatever you want, in the end you're their to have fun so dont worry about anything else
+1

Nicely put brotha!

hank

Chad Dupree;87517 wrote: This is just my opinion/.02 cents.

If you want to learn to go fast and acquire the skills that it takes to go fast, then sell the R1. Use that money to get a really really good set up SV and put the rest of the money into race entry fees, tires and run a full race schedule. Run every race that you can enter the SV in. Track time, track time, track time. (under race conditions)

This will teach you corner speed. Once you've ran a full season, sell it and get a inline 4 (600 or 750). Then combine the SKILLS you learned from the SV (corner speed) with that of the striaght line speed of a inline 4.

The SV will teach you corner speed and also how to race bar to bar with people. Races are won in the corners.......not in the straights. SV's are great bikes to race. Cheap on tires, crashes well, and alot of spare parts at the track.

Just my 2 cents, good luck with the decision.
:agree:
This type of question comes up on the WERA BBS often and the answer of "Get an SV and LEARN' to be a getter rider" is basically the standard response from the cardre...

Drewbie

crewnutz;87357 wrote: i think you should be able to hop on any bike and be comfortable before you start racing

:agree:

+1,000,000

rk97

I love how the fastest people always end up saying (or posting) essentially the same thing:

"think less. ride more."

Drewbie

rk97;87707 wrote: I love how the fastest people always end up saying (or posting) essentially the same thing:

"think less. ride more."
Seat time, seat time, seat time.... makes a huge difference in your comfort level at speed.

Rick Johnson

Race it.If you find you don't like racing the 1000 simple get something smaller.I will say with the bigger bike there are less races you can run.Usually at least 4 on a non twin sprint weekend with CCS and 5 I think if you are over 40 yrs. old.