Race leathers

99vengeur

Since I am new to track days and will be doing my first one this summer, I am going to need some race leathers. Can anyone recommend me some websites, brands or particular suits that won't completely break the bank (i.e. less than $750)??

Thanks

Clarus

I know it's over your range, but I just got the Komodo K-FX and after a vigorous break in procedure have fallen in love with it. They do have other suits that are in your price range, but I don't know too much about them.

stephenjpauls

Clarus;55209 wrote: I know it's over your range, but I just got the Komodo K-FX and after a vigorous break in procedure have fallen in love with it. They do have other suits that are in your price range, but I don't know too much about them.
Clarus,

What did you do to break these in... I have some Komodo's that I love, but after 4 days at the track, They still arn't broken in. I even slid them across the track (little lowside) to help with the effort.

BTW I have the Ceno suit, it is at the lower end of the Komodo suits and it is great! Offers GREAT protection for the price and I got lucky and picked mine up for $450 shipped. The only issue I have with it is there is so much thick leather that I don't seem to have enough flexibility in the suit preventing me from hanging off the bike as much as I'm used to.

Clarus

Ah the break in process. I don't believe in any of the 'riding in the rain' or 'jump in the shower' plans. The thought of getting my brand new suit just seems so wrong.

So for two weeks [and I really mean two weeks] after buying the suit I would come home from work every day, put on the underarmor and back protector, [you DO wear a back protector under your suit, right?] and then would sit on my futon in a nice crouched posture and watch WSBK / MotoGP re-runs while reenacting my favorite scenes. [the reenacting part isn't needed]. After about 7 days of doing this the suit was stretched enough that I could do stretching / yoga / wii fit in it instead for a day or two since I had run out of WSBK to watch. After a few days of that I went outside and bicycled around my block a few times and then did some runners stretches, jumping jacks, and played a little basketball for two days to the point where the suit fit me great.

Was that a little over the top? maybe
Was it the off season? yea
Did it work? Certainly, although there is never replacement for a track day to break in your leathers.

Don't be afraid to man handle the leathers while you're wearing them. If you want to bend a certain way and it won't let you... bend that way anyway. I spent a lot of time bending my elbow to get a grip on the arms and then twisting down to my toes to get some more back room.

Also, make sure your girlfriend / significant other is not around or does not have a camera handy and try not to get caught by the neighbors doing your 'leather dance.'

stephenjpauls

Clarus;55242 wrote: Ah the break in process. I don't believe in any of the 'riding in the rain' or 'jump in the shower' plans. The thought of getting my brand new suit just seems so wrong.
:agree:

Clarus;55242 wrote: you DO wear a back protector under your suit, right?
Yes and a chest protector

Clarus;55242 wrote:

Also, make sure your girlfriend / significant other is not around or does not have a camera handy and try not to get caught by the neighbors doing your 'leather dance.'
Will keep this in mind...

Thanks so much for the advice. I did a few of the things you explained in the off season and the suit is much better than when I got it. My biggest issue now is the ability to move my arms across my chest. This has effected my ability to get my head far enough and low enough when hanging off.

Teamck16

I got a joe rocket suit on ebay right now that was wore ONE TIME by my father (52 years old) at jennings before he decided that the track wasnt for him. bidding starts at $100 bucks, comes with matching gloves too.

Item number: 170331232004 You should check it out. Still smells new

minman26

I would strongly recommend renting a suit from NESBA your first time or two out... you can check size/fit and make sure you enjoy the track (which you will!) before commiting all that cash up front. I got my (used) suit from nesba end of the season for $200.

smack28752

Spidi

I have two sets of and highly recommend SPIDI leathers. They currently do not have a US distributor but Extreme Supply has the balance of last years inventory. Lots of pros ride them (and yes, lowly "B" NESBA guys like me too).

I crashed in a set and they held up great. Cosmetic damage only.

The Varitek Wind Pro is about a $1300 retail suit they have for $650 shipped. I boought one and am very pleased.

The R-Course and GP Wind Pro suits are a step up ($1500 retail). Extreme has them for $800 shipped.

http://www.extremesupply.com/spidi/spidijackets/spidijacketsmain.htm

xlink

why do you want to buy new? there is plenty of used gear for sale...just post your weight and height and somene will find you a set.

99vengeur

xlink;55409 wrote: why do you want to buy new? there is plenty of used gear for sale...just post your weight and height and somene will find you a set.
I don't necessarily need new leathers. I was looking for suggestions. How do I go about checking what NESBA has available? I am 5'11" and weigh 140 pounds...so tall and slim. :eek:

ebmasott

Right now you can find the Alpinestars SG-1 leathers all over for $500. Make sure you try on an A-stars suit before you order; sizing full leathers is a little challenging.

jkrueger

I will throw in a plug for Komodo suits, they have unbeatable protection and fit me very well. I have a meso suit (middle level) and a new to me FX suit on the way. Great suits that wont bust your budget.

Motomoon

I could get you in as couple suits for at or under your budget. parts@nesba.com. The main issue will be your height to weight ratio with a slim build.

Teknic might be a fit since they tend to run a lil tight in the torso on many riders.

crewnutz

:agree:

im sure Moon will find you something within your budget for new that doesnt have the stench of the prior owner in it ;)

FYI....im 5'11" approx 150lbs tall/slim build

im pretty sure i wear Astars sz 40 and a Shift sz 40, both fit perfectly