Race License

lms

Ok so this may be a dumb question, but because I'm a beginner, I don't know the answer. How do you get a race license or an "expert race license" as I think they are called? Is it simply a matter of getting bumped up to the advanced group after enough track days and then getting handed a piece of paper?

rk97

NESBA isn't a racing organization, so they don't issue licenses of any kind.

there are 2 classes of racers: "novice" (yellow plates) and "expert" (white plates). the only reason you would 'need' a race license would be to register for "A" group on your first day. and it must be an EXPERT license. a novice license is not sufficient proof of "A" pace.

you can get a race license through the various racing organizations. WERA and CCS are the most popular (at least in the midwest). they'll usually run a race school friday or saturday, evaluate you during a mock race, and then give you a provisional license for Sunday. You survive 2 races with an orange shirt (so the other riders know you're new), and you're a fully licensed novice racer.

an EXPERT license can be obtained a few different ways:

- you win a novice championship
- you petition for an expert license, and are granted one by the racing org (if you're consistently beating the novice field by 30 seconds the first 3 races, they'll probably grant you an expert license - ask Hix)
- other novice racers petition for you to be moved into the expert class (again, if you're beating everyone by 30 seconds...)

At least that's how I understand it. I've not raced. When my life insurance company called and asked me if i "race, or plan to race motorcycles in the next 12 months," I truthfully said, "no, i do not hold a competition race license."

sobottka

well other am's cant petition you to move up to the expert class no matter how much you win... not in ccs or the wera of the 90's (when I had wera experience). Pretty sure all it takes is to score 400 pts. in one season

crewnutz

sobottka;54710 wrote: well other am's cant petition you to move up to the expert class no matter how much you win... not in ccs or the wera of the 90's (when I had wera experience). Pretty sure all it takes is to score 400 pts. in one season
...............WERA & CCS have different systems for bumping people to Expert

WERA is by end of season standings

CCS is by points accumulated

but once you get an Expert license in one, you have it in the other

rk97

i stand corrected. I remember Ron petitioning for Expert status, and just kind of assumed this was a preemptive move on his part to save other riders the trouble. Classy move, in any case.

More from the WERA rulebook:

"3. Novices finishing in the top 5 in any of their classes at the Grand National Finals and/or in the top five in points in any class in any Region will be advanced to Expert status the following season. Novice riders not meeting the above criteria may apply for advancement to Expert status by submitting a written request to WERA Headquarters, which may or may not be allowed pending review of the rider’s performance and finishes by WERA Headquarters. Riders may decline advancement via writing or email to WERA Headquarters if they feel they are not ready to compete on the Expert level, and may or may not be allowed to retain Novice status pending review of the rider’s performance and finishes by WERA Headquarters.

4. A rider may apply to move down in status from Expert to Novice if: a) he has not competed for more than one year; or b) he is being beaten consistently by Novice riders. Riders may or may not be allowed to move down in status pending review of the rider’s performance and finishes by WERA Headquarters."

rk97

the rule book makes things sound a lot more official than they are... I think in most cases, you could PM Mongo on the WERA board and be like, "hey - i'm bike # xxx, and I won 3 races by 50 seconds in amateur.:bumpme:"

sobottka

yes, the rule book says 12 month period but they do not issue mid-season bumps and the bump list is issued between seasons...

Billsv/R6

my ?. can nesba do a race school class so some of us could apply for license or something like that? not sure i'm making sence.

crewnutz

Billsv/R6;54864 wrote: my ?. can nesba do a race school class so some of us could apply for license or something like that? not sure i'm making sence.
i dont think NESBA will offer a race school due to the fact that its not what the core of the organization is about.............

Billsv/R6

understand crewnutz. just wishful thinking i have some friends after me about racing and with having to get racebody work it be nice to get a certificate ccs would except maybe save a couple $. thanks for the reply. just need to go do/spend it and stop crying

Clarus

I did the CCS school last year. Wasn't too expensive considering it's a TD included. There's a little bit of a bore of the 'smooth throttle, here's a line' lessons [I had been on the track for 4 years before that class], but they flag lessons were actually good. CCS runs a lot more flags than NESBA. It's not rocket science, but hearing personal stories mixed with seeing the flags is a lot better way to learn than a rule book.

There were practice sessions in between the lessons, and it ended with a mock race where the instructors and MARCC did their best to try and screw with you to make sure you knew what was going on. Ex. Have you ever come out of T1 at Summit to see and ambulance making it's way up T3?

Throw down the cash, do CCS's school this memorial day on Sat. [my $.02]

Clarus

And if you're there, check out the thread in Nesba Racing as there will be a great turnout of Nesbians [myself included] there to pit with.

tiggen

I once spoke to a guy who has done quite well in CCS/ASRA racing, and when I asked if he ever raced WERA he rather disdainfully said no. I was a little shocked because I know a lot of Nesbians race WERA, and I hope to one day do the same. But it got me thinking...

What's the difference between the two?

gkotlin

CCS is typically more regionalized in their schedule. WERA will have you traveling all over the place over the course of a season. They're both a great way to get started in racing. It seems that more people in the Mid-west seem to run CCS. Out south and east, there seems to be a lot more Wera people. As Miyagi would say. "Different, but same."

Clarus

Walk on road, hm?
Walk left side, safe. Walk right side, safe.
Walk middle, sooner or later get squish just like grape.