Race Schools

Ddtt77

Looking for intro track schools. I'm older 52, not new to riding, but am new to sportbikes. Local to Pittsburgh area so Pitt Race would be closest track. But willing to travel. Goal would be to eventually club race etc... So any direction or suggestions would be most helpful as not sure where to start. Thanks.

Motofun352

Control Rider
Not sure of your timeline but I would consider doing a trackday/weekend first, just to get an understanding of track procedures. With a weekend under your belt you'll see where you fit on the spectrum of other riders and what it might take to procede. This was kind of my idea when I started at the age of 56. I quickly found out that even with 25 years of street riding experience I needed quite a bit of training. Things were a bit different 15 years ago as now there is a whole lot more available in the way of specific track riding training.

tad158

Astronomer not Astrologer
Just to be 100% clear. The "race school" on the N2 calender is to get a race licence, i.e. the various procudues to follow dirring an actuall race day, not how to ride the bike on a track. If you are looking for coaching that would be ATP or YCRS which train you on how to ride the bike on the race track.

The B Team

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Looking for intro track schools. I'm older 52, not new to riding, but am new to sportbikes. Local to Pittsburgh area so Pitt Race would be closest track. But willing to travel. Goal would be to eventually club race etc... So any direction or suggestions would be most helpful as not sure where to start. Thanks.

It sounds like what' you're needing is just to come out for your first track day...you will get instruction there, and the CRs will work with you to figure out lines and all the rest of it, and you can get guidance on the training opportunities, such as ATP, private coaching, or YCRS.

N2 will be at Pittrace Oct 7th and 8th. I'm already reg'd so I can't see if it's waitlisted or not but, if there is room, register! It WILL fill up. Be sure to check out the rider's manual on the main site while you wait for Oct...it'll answer a lot of questions, then just walk up to a CR at the rider's meeting when you get there and tell them you're new. Hope to see you there.

@Ddtt77

Following the insight from @tad158 and great advice @The B Team provided, here’s my take on a graduated scale of increasing levels of support towards proficiency on the track:

1) N2 track day - work on your own training objectives if you’ve defined them

2) N2 track day - work with a Control Rider to get an outside set of eyes on your line and onboard skills (be aware he/she has other responsibilities to the sessions so you’re not likely to get individual attention every lap every session)

3) N2 track day - Advanced Training Program (ATP) - full day of foundational knowledge, skills and drills, one part classroom, one part drills on your bike, one part track time (you’ll ride every session), training includes video review of your laps, ratio of three riders with one coach

4) N2 track day - private coaching with www.mygpcoach.com - one-on-one coaching from ATP’s lead instructor @adotjdot , three course options - Tip In! Lean In! Full GP! , detailed video reviews

5) Yamaha Champions Riding School ChampSchool course - two days of foundational knowledge, skills and drills with carefully selected instructors who are also race winners in MotoAmerica and the WERA race series, ratio of three-four riders with one coach

6) Yamaha Champions Riding School - private coaching from a MotoAmerica / WERA champion racer (strongly recommended you already have a ChampSchool course under your belt and demonstrate familiarity with that curriculum so the instructor can maximize your training objectives)

Where you start should be based on a candid self assessment. At various ChampSchool iterations, I’ve heard at least a half dozen riders say “I’ve been on a motorcycle for XX years but now I’m finally learning how to really ride it!” I had been riding for 18 years when I went to ChampSchool and I was a bit surprised at the number of habits that needed immediate attention for track riding.

Anyways, hope you come out to ride with N2. It’s definitely the Emerald Empire of the East. There are certainly other track clubs but, AFAIK, none are as intertwined with a top shelf riding school, MotoAmerica and WERA racing and racers as N2 Track Days.

Let us know how you get along.

The B Team

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
@Ddtt77

Following the insight from @tad158 and great advice @The B Team provided, here’s my take on a graduated scale of increasing levels of support towards proficiency on the track:.......................

Great layout! If you hit Pitt in Oct, I would expect that that would wrap your season, unless you're willing to travel. It's the last event in the "north."

Things get fired back up the last weekend in April...Depending on track riding level, I would spend 2 or 3 weekends just riding TDs and working with coaches before you sign up for ATP, which will be 1 day of a 2 day weekend, then another couple TDs before you go for ChampSchool. (BTdubs, ATP grads get a discount on ChampSchool.) You can also pick up ChampU over the winter if you want to do some classroom work...it's basically the core curriculum without the drills and will get you pointed in the right direction.

The schedule is more or less the same every year with registration going live sometime in early spring, and the "close" tracks to you are going to be Pitt, Summit, and NJMP, then NCBike, then the rest of the southern tracks. Reg for Pitt early though...it really does fill up fast, especially in Novice. If you make it out in Oct, pop by and say hello.

- jm

MK3Brent

Treebeard
You can also pick up ChampU over the winter if you want to do some classroom work...it's basically the core curriculum without the drills and will get you pointed in the right direction.
I'll add that ChampU is really incredible for the $. If you sat down to complete it in one sitting, it would probably take you 18-20hrs. (This is watching all the videos, writing notes, re-watching sections, and taking the quizzes.) Outstanding production quality.

domarena33

Track Day Superstar
@Ddtt77

Following the insight from @tad158 and great advice @The B Team provided, here’s my take on a graduated scale of increasing levels of support towards proficiency on the track:

1) N2 track day - work on your own training objectives if you’ve defined them

2) N2 track day - work with a Control Rider to get an outside set of eyes on your line and onboard skills (be aware he/she has other responsibilities to the sessions so you’re not likely to get individual attention every lap every session)

3) N2 track day - Advanced Training Program (ATP) - full day of foundational knowledge, skills and drills, one part classroom, one part drills on your bike, one part track time (you’ll ride every session), training includes video review of your laps, ratio of three riders with one coach

4) N2 track day - private coaching with www.mygpcoach.com - one-on-one coaching from ATP’s lead instructor @adotjdot , three course options - Tip In! Lean In! Full GP! , detailed video reviews

5) Yamaha Champions Riding School ChampSchool course - two days of foundational knowledge, skills and drills with carefully selected instructors who are also race winners in MotoAmerica and the WERA race series, ratio of three-four riders with one coach

6) Yamaha Champions Riding School - private coaching from a MotoAmerica / WERA champion racer (strongly recommended you already have a ChampSchool course under your belt and demonstrate familiarity with that curriculum so the instructor can maximize your training objectives)

Where you start should be based on a candid self assessment. At various ChampSchool iterations, I’ve heard at least a half dozen riders say “I’ve been on a motorcycle for XX years but now I’m finally learning how to really ride it!” I had been riding for 18 years when I went to ChampSchool and I was a bit surprised at the number of habits that needed immediate attention for track riding.

Anyways, hope you come out to ride with N2. It’s definitely the Emerald Empire of the East. There are certainly other track clubs but, AFAIK, none are as intertwined with a top shelf riding school, MotoAmerica and WERA racing and racers as N2 Track Days.

Let us know how you get along.
I just did the ATP at CMP (I think you were there as a coach, or do I have the wrong person?) and I've done the 1 day Champday way back in the day which was amazing. Although, I've no doubt that it's worth it, the two day champ school is very expensive. I'm going to spend the $2,xxx on a season pass hopefully to get more seat time. Is there anything around the $500 price point that would be more advantageous or just different than the ATP? I've considered california superbike school as it's around $625 at VIR. Thoughts?

The B Team

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
New this year and coming up at the end of the month is a 2 day ATP priced at $799 at NCBike, if you haven't seen it. You should have gotten an email from either N2 or YCRS if you are a member and a past student. @domman89 as of this writing, there is still room in I group for that event.

Also a private day with @adotjdot of GP Coach comes in at 5 bills, although I think he's booked the rest of the season.

Last edited:

domarena33

Track Day Superstar
New this year and coming up at the end of the month is a 2 day ATP priced at $799 at NCBike, if you haven't seen it. You should have gotten an email from either N2 or YCRS if you are a member and a past student. @domman89 as of this writing, there is still room in I group for that event.

Also a private day with @adotjdot of GP Coach comes in at 5 bills, although I think he's booked the rest of the season.
Oddly enough had no idea about GP Coach... thank you. :rofl:

MK3Brent

Treebeard
Oddly enough had no idea about GP Coach... thank you. :rofl:
Comfy shirts too.. :like:

52468517314_b0643b43ef.jpg
53121603764_52d3298240_c.jpg

I just did the ATP at CMP (I think you were there as a coach, or do I have the wrong person?) and I've done the 1 day Champday way back in the day which was amazing. Although, I've no doubt that it's worth it, the two day champ school is very expensive. I'm going to spend the $2,xxx on a season pass hopefully to get more seat time. Is there anything around the $500 price point that would be more advantageous or just different than the ATP? I've considered california superbike school as it's around $625 at VIR. Thoughts?

Guilty as charged about ATP but your coach was Dave, the more handsome and faster lad on the R1, with the Intermediate Group. I was the Novice Group coach.

I think your intention to buy an N2 season pass is an excellent one. As you know, track riding is an immersive, performance-oriented activity so mastery of theory only gets us so far. Eyes, line selection, controls and inputs, body position, and clean passing all come with seat time.

Regarding what school to choose, I’m satisfied with having hitched my wagon to YCRS (and therefore N2’s ATP). I value the quality of people the YCRS leaders bring on board as instructors, I prefer the ChampSchool training methodology over others and I like riding with a club that’s affiliated with a successful riding school because it establishes common reference points (thus minimizing the free-for-all of some clubs) and keeps the club’s culture fresh.

With CSS that $625 is for Level I (foundational skills) and you have to pass it before you can move up to Level II. Keep in mind you received foundational training through ATP. That means you might enroll in Level I to get into the CSS training progression but end up feeling like you’re throwing money away once you‘re actually training. If you look at the CSS webpage, you’ll see a weekend course (same time frame as a ChampSchool) costs $2,700.

Comparing training methodology is probably a separate thread.

domarena33

Track Day Superstar
Guilty as charged about ATP but your coach was Dave, the more handsome and faster lad on the R1, with the Intermediate Group. I was the Novice Group coach.

I think your intention to buy an N2 season pass is an excellent one. As you know, track riding is an immersive, performance-oriented activity so mastery of theory only gets us so far. Eyes, line selection, controls and inputs, body position, and clean passing all come with seat time.

Regarding what school to choose, I’m satisfied with having hitched my wagon to YCRS (and therefore N2’s ATP). I value the quality of people the YCRS leaders bring on board as instructors, I prefer the ChampSchool training methodology over others and I like riding with a club that’s affiliated with a successful riding school because it establishes common reference points (thus minimizing the free-for-all of some clubs) and keeps the club’s culture fresh.

With CSS that $625 is for Level I (foundational skills) and you have to pass it before you can move up to Level II. Keep in mind you received foundational training through ATP. That means you might enroll in Level I to get into the CSS training progression but end up feeling like you’re throwing money away once you‘re actually training. If you look at the CSS webpage, you’ll see a weekend course (same time frame as a ChampSchool) costs $2,700.

Comparing training methodology is probably a separate thread.
I appreciate your feedback, I think you just saved me $625. I think my best course of action may be training with A.J. He can see where my weak points are quickly and coach me on them regardless of my level.

I appreciate your feedback, I think you just saved me $625. I think my best course of action may be training with A.J. He can see where my weak points are quickly and coach me on them regardless of my level.

I didn’t save you any money. Somewhere out there is a shopping cart with your name on it and some expensive parts just jumped in and invited their buddy parts, too.

AJ is a core member of YCRS so everything you learn from him will dovetail with the YCRS curriculum when you’re in a position to attend the ChampSchool two day course. Everybody grows when they attend ChampSchool but those that are already familiar with the foundational principles and skills learn exponentially more. The ChampSchool instructors meet every individual rider where they’re at and build him/her up and I’ve never seen a student rider come in that exceeds the ChampSchool instructors’ experience and pace. IOW, you’ll get fast with AJ and then ChampSchool will get you to the next level (faster than you thought possible).

I think they do shots of oxygenated race gas before bed.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Believe it or not, another really good school, is the NJMiniGP 3 day camp. They usually do the camp about twice a year, and have bikes you can rent for the camp. Much of the focus is very similar to YCRS, but on little bike and it's BIG fun. Body position, trail brakes, etc are all in the camps agenda with lots of slow speed skid pad drills.

You'll be humbled with 10 year olds doing circle drills around a single cone until they're dragging elbow.

mac

I wouldn't recommended Pitt as the track to get started on. Too technical, too big, too blind lol. Too much to take in while also learning a new bike. Do a novice weekend at Nelson to get your feet wet then look into one of the schools the guys recommend. I did 3 levels of css, but that 2004-2006 when there weren't as many options. Btw I'm semi local, in Erie, and frequent both tracks see you around.