Rearset Foot Poistions

CleverRiver6

For the vortex rearsets, how do I determine where in the "mounting grid" to bolt up the rearset?

After doing some research I found that for figuring out forward/back position, I should set it so that I am able to get up on the pegs and not fall forward or backward. For up/down just need to get my knee hooked into the tank.

Does that sound about right? Does anyone else have different advice for finding the settings that work for me?

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
I think the key term here is me. Like you identified it's about setting up the controls so they work for you and allow you the appropriate position on the bike. Find a position that works well in the garage, test in motion and then validate by moving the next session in the direction you think might be better

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
I have the same issue on my 749S. I feel too forward and knees cramped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Try being 6'8" and then tell me if you feel cramped on a motorcycle.

To the OP, follow Dave's advice. Set the position that feels most comfortable sitting still. Ride the bike. Move it somewhere else, then ride the bike. Better or worse? Change it again and repeat until you have the most comfortable position. A very experienced Ohlins tech told me that being as comfortable as possible is the most important aspect of riding a motorcycle.

buzz-06

To the OP, follow Dave's advice. Set the position that feels most comfortable sitting still. Ride the bike. Move it somewhere else, then ride the bike. Better or worse? Change it again and repeat until you have the most comfortable position. A very experienced Ohlins tech told me that being as comfortable as possible is the most important aspect of riding a motorcycle.

+1 to this, if you are comfortable with no pressure points you will ride better. There is going to be some give and take with this, sadly rearsets won't have a perfect spot for everyone but you should be able to get very close.

Motofun352

Control Rider

The only thing I'll add is make sure you're using the proper foot position when determining what is comfortable. It is not acceptable to sacrifice proper foot position for comfort so "comfort" is a relative thing.

CleverRiver6

Just wanted to close the loop on this one, after some great help at NCBike this past weekend (thank you Kris). I ended up not changing my foot position at all. Two things were recommended to me that made a world of difference.

(vortex rearsets for reference)
  • Problem: Hands would cramp up very quickly while riding, wouldn't make it half a session before the pain would start.
    • Misdiagnoses: I initially thought my pegs were too back. Meaning that whenever I would get on my the balls of my feet to shift sides my weight would fall forward since my feet were past my hips, leading to more weight on the handle the bars and thus the cramping
    • Solution Part 1: What I really needed to do was change the angle of my controls. My brake lever and clutch lever were angled to far up. Meaning I was really having to bend my wrist to reach them while tucked. This was leading the cramping I was experiencing in my hands. I also opened my clip-ons more to make it easier for me to screwdriver grip.
    • Solution Part 2: I was sitting too far forward in the seat which wasn't allowing me to put my center of gravity (hips) over my feet, or pivot around the tank correctly. This also helped with a problem where I felt like I had to calf raise when turning left to hook my knee into the tank. Since the lip of the tank is lower as you get closer to the rider, it is easier to reach with your knee if you are sitting further back.
So big thanks to Kris for the help again. These two changes made a world of difference to me, and the only thing I could of wished for was more time to ride.

Motofun352

Control Rider
+++ excellent points. I often thought about gluing a 2 to 3 inch hard foam pad to the back of the gas tank to help with keeping me back on the seat. I know they make expensive carbon fibre tank shrouds for this purpose...just wondering if anyone has RG'd (ie Rube Goldberg) a device? :)